Search for content in message boards

James Bell

James Bell

W. Dennis Suit (View posts)
Posted: 31 Aug 1999 1:49PM GMT
Looking for the father of Thomas BELL, born 28 APR 1743, (Iredell County) NC, dd 1825 (Buncombe County) NC. Married a Jane MONTGOMERY 1765. I know nothing else about Jane.

Some researchers say that Thomas BELL's father was a James BELL, born 1710 in Dumfriesshire, Scotland and married Agnes HOGESHEAD. However Hogshead researchers say no way, because James and Agnes never left (Augusta County), VA. It makes sense; Thomas BELL was born in NC.

There were several James BELLs in (Augusta County) Va. Is there any consensus among Bell’s researchers as to Thomas BELL’s father, and if he was a James BELL, which one?

My line:

Grandparents: Bessie Laura Bell, born 20 OCT 1896 in (Cherokee County), NC, married on 05 JUL 1917 in Ducktown, TN (Polk County) to William Henry Suit, bd 16 MAR 1894 in Cherokee County.

gg grandparents: Columbus Alexander (Lum) Bell, born 1856 NC and Marry Ann (Poppy) LEDFORD, born 1865 NC
ggg grandparents: Davidson Bell, born 1810 NC and Alzira Williams, born 1818 NC
gggg grandparents: Robert Bell, born 1787 NC, and Sarah JEFFERSON, born 1764 unknown
ggggg grandparents: Thomas Bell, born 1743 NC, and Jane Montgomery, no information
gggggg grandparents: James Bell?

My grandmother, Bessie Bell was a Church of God lay minister, and held hundreds of revivals in tents throughout her life. She preached in TN, NC, GA, FL, and OH.

I have heard it said that the Bell’s were instrumental in the formation of the Church of God. Does anyone know that to be factual?

I would appreciate any information anyone might have, and if there are mistakes in the above information please let me know.

Regards,

W. Dennis Suit

Wdsuit@mindspring.com
(941)495-10723

James Bell

Posted: 13 Oct 1999 11:23AM GMT
Edited: 4 Sep 2001 2:46PM GMT
Dennis,
I have been researching this Bell line for about 9 years. I descend from James>Thomas>Robert>Andrew Jackson>.
There has been a dispute concerning the parentage of Thomas on the boards of late.
What proof is there that James/Agnes Hogshead Bell aren't the parents of Thomas Bell? Something that can't be disputed are baptismal records that names his parents and date/place of baptism. This is found in the book "Tinkling Spring, Headwater to Freedom"
by author Howard McKnight Wilson. Unless I am mistaken these were taken from their personal Bible and prayer books, as well as church records.There is also a book by the Burnett family (Thomas and Jane Montgomery Bell's daughter Frances married Swan Pritchett Burnett) entitled
"A Burnett Family of the South"by Frances Gass that includes contemporanious writings
of the family, that includes some family history. These are both available through interlibrary loan. The Tinkling Spring book is usually on the shelf.
The DAR has records of searches concerning this line as well, it has been accepted and recorded. As for Thomas's birthplace, there were many boundary changes during that time, it will be investigated. So for myself, I will keep an open mind but so far the evidence outways any theory I have seen.
I would like to have as an accurate family history as is possible, and will continue to follow the trail.
Your post was very interesting concerning the Church of God aspect! I have been following the very same path. I contacted the main headquarters in Cleveland, TN. and strangely enough a Bell was on the board. I asked if he had any personal knowledge but he did not. They do have a book service which does have some early references to the forming of the church. We may be able to glean more from these publications. Bells were not on the list of the original founding members, but I think there were less than 50. I do know that my great uncle Robert Bell was one of the first preachers for the Church of God. You also mentioned Ducktown. Many Bells from the family there, just over the border from Wolf Creek, Cherokee Co.,NC.
I am unfamiliar with your ggg grandparents names Davidson Bell you have listed as a son of Robert and Sarah/Sally Jefferson Bell.
We believed there may have been other children but weren't sure. The only children I have listed are:
Lydia Bell b. 1809 m. Joseph McKinney
Andrew Jackson Bell b.1814 m. Sarah Wyatt
John Bell b. 1813 m. Elizabeth McDarris
They were all born in Buncombe Co.,NC.
I would enjoy hearing from you and sharing information.
Rebecca

bell and montgomery

Posted: 9 Apr 2000 4:48AM GMT
Edited: 26 Mar 2002 11:22PM GMT
I am also related to Thomas Bell and Jane Montgomery. Thomas was my gggggg grandfather. I do not know his parents as I was led to believe it was James and Nancy Hogshead as well. According to a cousin I recently found, Jane was born 12-15-1787 and died 9-30-1751. She and Thomas married 12-15-1772 in Virginia. For their son Robert I have a birthdate of 6-11-1785 in Guilford Co., NC and that he married someone named Margaret. Their son Thomas married Nancy ? and had a son Thomas Jefferson Bell who married a Caroline Penland. They are my gggg grandparents.Hope to hear from you and maybe we can share more info.
Kim

the bell family

bell (View posts)
Posted: 29 Apr 2000 11:02AM GMT
our family history includes thomas h. bell
married sarah jackson in NYC...both were from
ireland. oral history is related to general stonewall jackson. The jackson, bell, and foster families are buried at greenwood cem.
in Brooklyn, NY. Any relation to you?

Rebecca Bell 1770-1816

Posted: 18 Jul 2000 10:17AM GMT
Edited: 13 Jul 2006 3:17AM GMT
Rebecca, I am looking for the parents of our Rebecca
Bell, b 1770, probably in Augusta Co., VA. She
married John McFarland in 1786 in VA. I believe she
belongs to James and Agnes Hogshead Bell from
Augusta Co., but can't prove it. She died on the
road to MO in 1816 after having 10 children. John
and Rebecca Bell McFarland are my husband's, James
McFarland, line.

We would appreciate your input.
Thank you,
Juanima

Rebecca dau of James/Agnes Hogshead Bell

Posted: 1 Oct 2000 5:27AM GMT
Edited: 4 Sep 2001 2:46PM GMT
Juanima,
I do show a Rebecca in my files as a daughter to James and Agnes Bell. The children listed are:
John, James, Francis, David, Samuel, Thomas, Agnes, Sarah and Rebecca. These names taken from James Bell of Longlade Will
Abstract of Wills of Augusta Co.,VA-Will Book #VIII pg 199-p.29, 5 Apr 1787

Baptisms at Tinkling Spring Presbyterian Church 1740-1749
James Bell, Sr. Family (pg. 470-1)
Issue receiving baptism:
William 12 Dec 1740
James 12 Dec 1740
William 12 Jul 1741 *
John 26 Feb 1744
Sarah 11 May 1746
Thomas 23 Oct 1748
* Suspect mother pregnant with this child when William #1 died, gruesome to us but common in that day. It think William #2 died before James Bell's will was made as well. I assume Rebecca was born after this baptismal record was made, is that what your records indicate?
Rebecca

Re: the bell family

Posted: 15 Dec 2001 7:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Mar 2002 12:33AM GMT
Surnames: Bell, Pearson, Dunlop
Rebecca - My ggrandparents Emily Furnival Dunlop Pearson and George Pearson are buried in Green-Wood. In the same plot is Emily's mother Jane Dunlop. Through records I have gotten from the Cemetery, I learned that Jane's sister was Elizabeth F. Bell and in 1929 Elizabeth's two daughters' married names were Mary E. Smeaton and Ida J. Snedeker.

Does this relate to your Bells in Green-wood?

Re: James Bell

Posted: 20 Nov 2011 6:40PM GMT
Surnames: Bell, Robert
For this line of Bells! I have just been to the cemetery in Ivy Township, Buncombe County NC and taken pictures of the Mc Kinney family cemetery. I am attaching a file of pictures of Robert Bell's and daughter Lydia's headstone. I also have the pictures of the other stones as well, there are four grave markers there.
This cemetery is on private property and you do have to have permission to go.
Attachments:

Posted: 29 Dec 2011 2:01AM GMT
Thank you so much for sharing these photos, much appreciated.

Posted: 29 Mar 2012 3:14AM GMT
Surnames: Bell
Rebecca and Dennis-
I hope you are still researching the Bell line after all these years.
I have just started building our tree, and a cousin had info from ancestry.com that James Bell and Agnes Hogshead are my husband's 6x great grandparents.
Our line looks like this:
James and Agnes>William Bell (1741-1828)>Sterling Bell (1778-1829)>Thomas Sterling Bell (1821-1869)>William Leonidas Bell (1850-1912)>Rufus Marvin Bell (1888-1982)>Clyde Anderson Bell (currently living in Howard County, Arkansas).
Does this fit with the James Bell/Agnes Hogshead you discussed? We know nothing about where these 2 came from and looking for more info.
Any tips?
Thanks! :)

Amy Bell
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions