Search for content in message boards

Oscar Rapier Coghlan (1847-1903)

Oscar Rapier Coghlan (1847-1903)

Posted: 13 Jan 2007 1:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Coghlan
looking for the parents of Oscar COGHLAN, husband of Margaret Breckenridge REDMAN.

He was born in Belleville, St. Clair, Illinois and both his parents were born in Pennsylvania.

Re: Oscar Rapier Coghlan (1847-1903)

Posted: 22 Jul 2007 4:46AM GMT
I have Cornellius Coghlan as his father and his mother was Lavinia Rapier-Fouke. Oscar Redmond Coghlan was born January 22, 1847 in Belleville, Illinoise and he married Margaret Ophelia Redmoan on April 27, 1876 in Grace Episcopal Church in Suisun, Solano, California. Oscar died on October 28, 1903. There child, Rapier Redmond Coghlan was my Great-Grandfather.

Posted: 23 Sep 2007 10:05PM GMT
Surnames: COGHLAN, RANEY
I have Cornelius COGHLAN and Lavinia Rapier FOUKE with 4 children, John Maxwell, b. 1835, Joseph Bullock, b. 1844, Oscar Redmond, b. 1847, and Sethe or Lethe, born ?. After the death of Cornelius & Lavinia, John and Oscar came west to California (Napa & Solano Counties) with Andrew Jackson RANEY (son of Marie/Mariah Elizabeth (COGHLAN) and Thomas John RANEY.I think that Joseph Bullock and Seth/Lethe stayed with their uncle Philip COGHLAN. Do you have documentation showing Marie/Mariah Elizabeth COGHLAN and Cornelious COGHLAN as siblings, also any information regarding Sethe/Lethe COGHLAN?

Re: Cornelius Coghlan

Posted: 24 Sep 2007 3:40AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Do you have information about the parents of Cornelius Coghlan? Where and when was Cornelius born/married/died?

Is it John Maxwell or John Mansfield?

Was there a daughter Maria and another son Philip??

Are you related to Cornelius Coghlan and if so how?

Posted: 24 Sep 2007 6:06AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: COGHLAND, FOUKE, RANEY
A biography of Joseph Bullock COGHLAN, naval officer, states DOB Dec. 9, 1844, son of Cornelius/Lavinia (Fouke) COGHLAN; grandson of Cornelius COGHLAN of Baltimore, MD and a descendant of the COGHLANS of Kings County, Ireland.
Cornelius COGHLAN was born in Philadelphia, PA, date unknown, married to Lavina FOUKE January 11, 1830, shows up in Kentucky 1840 census. It looks like Cornelius and Lavina died between 1840-50. John Maxwell came west with his RANEY cousins while Lethe/Sethe shows living with the paternal aunt (Marie Elizabeth COGHLAN RANEY in Jackson Co. MO while Joseph Bullock and Oscar are living with maternal uncle (Philip B. FOUKE)in Illinois. My husband is a descendant of Marie Elizabeth COGHLAN, married to Thomas John RANEY and their son Andrew Jackson RANEY who settled in Napa County, CA. From the dates and census' I have surmised that Marie Elizabeth COGHLAN and Cornelius COGHLAN were siblings? John COGHLAN and his brother Oscar COGHLAN were both lawyers in Suisun, Solano County. John was also a California state assemblyman (1865-66) and congressman (1871-1873) John and Oscar's brother, John Bullock COGHLAN was a naval captain and commander of the ship Raleigh in 1897 during the Spanish-American war. Do you have other information re: your ancestor Oscar COGHLAN? How are you related? Thanks!

Posted: 25 Sep 2007 12:53PM GMT
Surnames: Coghlan-Redman
Oscar Redmond Coghlan was my great-great grandfather. I have a nice picture of him if you would like me to send it to you via the internet. Oscar was born January 22, 1847 in Bellevill, Illinois and Died October 28, 1903 in Suison-Fairfield-Solano California.

Oscar and his wife had a child-Rapier Redmond Coglan who was my great grandfather. Oscar was a Private in the 29th Regiment of the Missouri Volunteers in the US Civil War. Was only 14 when he ran away and joined the Union army, because he adored his cousin Capt. Richard Rapier-Hews

Oscar and his wife had three other children, Mary Reeves, John and Julia.

AS you Probably know, Oscar's wife was Margaret Ophelia Redman bron December 19, 1854 and died May 11, 1928 in Berkley, California. I also have a could pictures of her.

So there were two Corenlius Coghlans? This is where my information gets a little fuzzy. Oscar Coghlan's granddaughter is still alive and living in California. She's my great aunt. She is the family historian

Posted: 31 Aug 2012 8:15PM GMT
Yes

Can't find parents.

Mike Anderson
801-785-1212
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions