Search for content in message boards

sword

Halbert = halberd

Posted: 20 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 Jul 2001 5:05AM GMT
Surnames: Halbert, Holbert, Flannery
Lynn: Not exactly a "sword". It was a combination of a spear & battle-axe used in the 1500s & 1600s. See 'halberd' in a dictionary.

<Late Middle English 'haubert', 'halbert' <Old French 'hallebarde'<Middle High German 'helmbarte', < 'helm' "handle", "staff" + 'barte' "an axe", akin to 'bart' "beard". [for the sense, compare English 'barb' meaning both "beard" & "fish-hook"]. This is the view taken by three dictionaries that I consulted.

However, Middle High German also had 'helm' = "helmet", so a 'halberd' co-incidentally was a "helmet-splitting axe". This is Eric Partridge's view.

This would suggest that the Halbert surname was originally applied to halberd-bearers. I haven't see a Halbert coat-of-arms, but it would be interesting if it showed a halberd on it. These halberd-bearers may have functioned as royal or noble guardsmen.

Halsey

sword

lynn schroyer (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: HALBERT
I have heard that the name HALBERT is in some way connected to a sword called a Halbert does anyone have any idea what that is thank you.
Posted: 1 Apr 2012 2:28AM GMT
Halbert is not connected to a sword. However, it is connected to a battle axe known as a halberd. In fact, the Halbert Family Coat of Arms contains a shied of red with a white chevron, bordered by three battle axes (halberds).

I hope this helps.

Donald Ross Halbert
Lac du Bonnet, Manitoba
Canada
per page

Find a board about a specific topic