Search for content in message boards

OneGreatFamily is a waste of time and money

OneGreatFamily is a waste of time and money

Posted: 17 Jan 2012 6:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
I read about this site and thought it was an interesting, ambitious project. That may be, but this site is nowhere near ready to be charging fees for its service.
1. The site is not at all intuitive to navigate, and is filled with pdf's and videos that instruct one on how to do what should be the simplest things.
2. I entered my GEDCOMs, and the results that came back were pure gibberish. They showed me family trees constructed by other people that indicated individuals born 150 years apart were in the same generation.
3. Their customer support is only available during regular business hours, in 'mountain' time (whatever that is). This is my hobby, not my occupation. I can't work on it during regular business hours, in the mountains or anywhere else.
4. I called to cancel my account. The 'cancellations department' comes up as a regular option on their recorded answering system. What does that tell you?
5. I got the 'all lines are busy' message when I was connected to the 'cancellations department'. What does that tell you?
6. When I was connected to a live person in the 'cancellations department' I was never asked why I wanted to cancel. There was no effort at any customer service. I was told there would be no refunds and that my account was cancelled.
7. I learned that Ancestry.com has a similar service called OneWorldTree. When I googled OneWorldTree, the first listing that appeared was a paid entry that said OneWorldTree but was connected to the OneGreatFamily.com URL. Very deceptive.

Re: OneGreatFamily is a waste of time and money

Posted: 17 Jan 2012 8:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
I completely agree with you about One Great Family. Unfortunately the One World Tree here at ancestry and many of the posted trees here are full of the same type of errors.

The ad that you saw at google was placed by One Great Family, and as you noticed, it was an attempt to hijack people that may be looking for One World Tree.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic