Search for content in message boards

Coffey from Cork City

Coffey from Cork City

Posted: 18 Jul 2011 12:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Coffey
I am looking for information on my great-grandfather, John Christopher Coffey. From a death certificate and several war records, I have that he was born on June 12, 1884. I also have from a war record that his father's name was William John Coffey and that in December 1901 his father lived on Rock Lane in Cork City. I cannot find a Rock Lane, nor can I find the family in the 1901 census. Does anyone have any hints for me as to where I can look next? Thank you in advance! Erin

Re: Coffey from Cork City

Posted: 18 Jul 2011 2:47PM GMT

Name: John Christopher Coffey
Registration District: Cork
Event Type: BIRTHS
Registration Quarter and Year: Apr - Jun 1884
Estimated Birth Year:
Age (at Death):
Mother's Maiden Name:
Film Number: 101060
Volume Number: 5
Page Number: 143
Digital Folder Number: 4193461
Image Number: 00108

https://www.familysearch.org/search/recordDetails/show?uri=h...

Info about ordering a cert from GRO here:

http://corkgen.org/publicgenealogy/cork/genealogy.html#civil...

Rock Lane ==> Nicholas Lane

Posted: 18 Jul 2011 3:53PM GMT

At least according to this guide:
http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/places/oldlanesandalleysloc...

Unfortunately, I don't think that will necessarily make the search easier. :(

Posted: 18 Jul 2011 8:03PM GMT
Hi skibbgirl, thanks so much for your quick reply! This definitely helps a ton! I do have another question though (for you or anyone who cares to answer)...has anyone ever sent a request with credit card information through the mail? Have you had any problems doing this? Or is there an email address that I can send a .pdf of the request to?
Thank you!

Posted: 18 Jul 2011 8:54PM GMT
Oh yes, I do this all the time with credit card info and I have not (yet) had a problem.

One time they were having a problem with one card, and they actually emailed me.

I normally ask for a few records at a time, and so I just send them my own reusable letter with my credit card info in them, with the items out Irish Civil Registration copied and pasted in and formatted. I also include a contact email.

So far my credit card is in far greater danger at the mall. Two years ago, after shopping for a gift for my Irish aunt at the mall a few weeks before leaving for Ireland, I arrived home about an hour later only to discover emails and a phone message from Bank of America alerting me to suspicious activity and notification the bank had locked down my account. Somebody at the store where I shopped helped themselves to my number, apparently, and quickly ran up a big charge on it.

Posted: 18 Jul 2011 9:32PM GMT
Thank you so much for all of your help! I had really hit a brick wall so I'm hoping the birth certificate info will help get back farther. Thanks again!

Posted: 19 Jul 2011 9:24AM GMT
Hi Rock Lane is now known as Rock Villas and is located between 22 & 24 Blarney St.
It ran down the side of St Mary of the Rock School and now has 3 houses on the Eastern side.
It turns right and then becomes steps and then turn left again entering, Rock Cottages at the back of North Abbey Square off the North Mall.

When we were children there was a little platform at the last turn of the steps known as the "devils seat" and never went up the Lane at night!

Matt Falvey
Perth WA

Posted: 20 Jul 2011 11:39AM GMT
Thank you so much for the information. It is nice to know a specific about the area I am searching for and something that may have been the same in my great-grandfather's time. Thank you again!

Posted: 22 Jan 2013 6:41PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jan 2013 6:43PM GMT
Surnames: Coffey
Hi Matt,

I know it's been awhile since you replied, but I found a re-issue of John Coffey's (my ggf) baptism certificate. It says that it is St. Finbarr's South Dunbar Street. Would this parish be the same section as where the family is listed on Rock Lane?

Thank you again for the previous information.

Erin Downey
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions