Search for content in message boards

Captain Benjamin E. Anderson

Captain Benjamin E. Anderson

Posted: 20 Aug 2001 3:53AM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Edited: 2 Dec 2006 5:04PM GMT
Uncle Ben Anderson Dead

Captain Benj. E. Anderson who resided about five miles north of Stanton died Tuesday evening, Nov 26 at the age of nearly 80 years, after an illness of several weeks. We do not know exactly where he was born but are reliably informed that he has lived practically all his life in this county. The first we know of the Anderson history, his father and mother settled on the Bourbois river about four miles south of Union at a point remembered by the old settlers as the Anderson spring. Uncle Ben settled upon his present homeplace about 50 years ago, where, by his industry and frugality, he accumulated considerable property in real estate.

Uncle Ben was a soldier during the Civil War and has always been one of the staunchest republicans in the county. He claimed the distinction of being one of the few republicans who voted for John C. Freemont in 1856 and has voted for every republican nominee for president including Theodore Roosevelt. He was a man admired by all who knew him for his firmness and adherance to what he believed to be right. He will be greatly missed in the community where for so many years he has been a central figure.

Besides a host of friends, he leaves one son, John H. Anderson, who lives in AR and one daughter, Sarah Shockley, of near Owensville.

Source: Fri, Nov 29, 1907 Republican Headlight
Franklin County Historical Society

Re: Captain Benjamin E. Anderson

Posted: 20 Aug 2001 11:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Dec 2003 1:23PM GMT
"Captain" Benjamin E. Anderson was a 1st Lieutenant in company F, of the 26th Missouri Volunteer Infantry Regiment, USA. His muster records state that he was 35 years old; 6' tall; dark hair; grey eyes; dark complexion; was a single farmer; born in Franklin county, Missouri; residing in Union, Franklin county, Missouri when he enlisted on Sept. 20, 1861; mustered on Dec. 17, 1861 at Pacific, Missouri. He resigned March 28, 1862. He applied for a veterans pension on Oct. 14, 1904.

Posted: 28 Dec 2001 2:19AM GMT
Edited: 11 Apr 2003 8:01PM GMT
Benjamin Anderson is my gggrandma's (Adaline) brother. I'm trying to find more information on the Andersons. So far I show that Ben and Adaline were the children of John Anderson and Lovey Fenton. Their siblings were: Thomas O, Nancy, Jane, Eliza, William, Sally Ann, Robert, Margaret, Susan and Mary. My grandpa was named after Ben--Benjamin Anderson Parks. I think John's father was Robert Anderson and his mother Clara ? Any help with the Andersons would be appreciated.

Greg Wall (View posts)
Posted: 30 Dec 2001 12:26PM GMT
The information that I posted for Benjamin E. Anderson comes from the Missouri State Adjutant General's records accessible from the Missouri Secretary of State's office. I don't have any other information on him. I have a web site of information on the 26th Missouri Infantry Regiment, USA, and appreciate anything that you currently have that could be pulled together for a small biographical sketch of Benjamin. Your posting indicated that you know his parents and siblings as well as knowing your relationship to him. What are your sources?

Posted: 30 Dec 2001 6:58PM GMT
Edited: 11 Apr 2003 8:01PM GMT
Greg, I have John Anderson's will (Dec 1851) listing all of the kids. Also, my dad knew or knew of all of these people as he grew up in Franklin Co, MO. I'll see if dad knows any additional info on Ben Anderson and let you know.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions