Search for content in message boards

Brenton, William, sons Adam & Robert Samuel

Brenton, William, sons Adam & Robert Samuel

Posted: 11 Apr 2011 3:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brenton, Jean, Rice, Gantz, Hamm
Russell Hamm lists Adam Britton's Ferry at Munday's Station. That man is Adam Brenton, the older brother of Robert Samuel Brenton. These two brothers came to Owen County, IN from Clarke County, IN. Their father, William, having been granted land there for his Revolutionary War service, took his family from Bourbon County, Kentucky.
How might they have crossed the Ohio River; that is, where were the landing sites? And how might the brothers, who came independently to Owen County, IN travel from Clarke County, IN?
The aforesaid Samuel Brenton later left Owen County, IN about 1855 for Iowa or Nebraska with his wife, Margaret L. Jean. They had a son, Adoniram Judson Brenton, born near Ottumwa,Wapello County, Iowa in 1856 and a second son, Benjamin Brenton, born in Nebraska. Their third child, a daughter, was born in Owen County, IN. What route or routes might they have traveled?
Late in 1861 Sam Brenton enlisted in the Indiana 50th,which mustered in Seymour, Jackson County,IN. The unit then traveled, I know not how nor by what route, to the camp of rendevous and instruction near Bardstown, Nelson County, Kentucky. Sam contracted pneumonia enroute and died before they reached the camp.He was buried in Bardstown, and along with other soldiers was removed to the military cemetery near Lebanon, Marion County, Kentucky sometime after the war. Any idea how those men went from Seymour to Bardstown?
Judson Brenton married Mary Elizabeth Rice and they lived at one time in Farmer,or Farmer's Station, Owen Co. IN. Their son Herman Orville Brenton, married Mary Annette Gantz, a daughter of Dr. Thomas Gantz of Freedom, Owen Co. IN. He was an only child. They moved to Indianapolis, Marion Co., IN and after Judson and Mary died, the Brenton family was gone. Herman inherited the house down by the railroad and general store in Farmer. The old highway went up over the hill to the east of the present highway; it still exists and a few families still live there. Mary Annette (Gantz)Brenton's parents are buried in the Farmer Cemetery; Judson & Mary Elizabeth Brenton and Herman Orville & Mary Annette Brenton are buried in the Riverside Cemetery in Spencer, Owen Co. IN.
We would love a reply with any information that you may have. Thanks.
Nancy Scott, searching for a Brenton decendent & for Owen County, IN research.

Re: Brenton, William, sons Adam & Robert Samuel

Posted: 23 Sep 2012 7:28PM GMT
Surnames: Brinton, Brenton
In this part of Indiana, the name appears as "Brinton" in early records. I'm reading through the early county commissioner reports of Monroe County, where one of the first roads ordered to be constructed in the early days led to "Brinton's Ferry" on the White River. Do you have any idea where this was located in terms of section number/township?

Posted: 23 Sep 2012 8:19PM GMT
This is really cold. It is related to an article that I wrote from notes from a lot of researchers of Owen Co. IN history/genealogy. Right now I don't know where to look for the article. But I will see if I can find it. I'll post a note on Owen Co. IN rootsweb list. Perhaps whoever donated this information will catch up with us again.
Happy hunting!
nancy

Posted: 24 Sep 2012 12:45AM GMT
Mundy's Station later became Romona, which is located in the Northeastern section of Washington Township, in which is located the county seat, Spencer. "Where the county seat was to be located was for some time in doubt.... Mundy's Station was...a rival. Brintonsville was laid off by Adam Brinton, an eccentric old bachelor, at what is now called Mundy's Station. It would have been a formidable rival for the county seat but for an attempt of Mr. Brinton to make a speculation out of his lots....he employed a venerable preacher to act as 'puffer' and run up the price of the lots; but the people getting wind of this...refused to invest...." (p. 663-4) "in the year 1819, the first tax was levied.... In this year, John Dunn's ferry was taxed $5, and that of Adam Brinton $8." (p. 695) OWEN COUNTY, INDIANA, 1884, Charles Blanshard, editor. First Edition, Second Printing 1997. If you want something more exact, I think you would have results by contacting the Owen County Public Library in Spencer, Indiana. They have a very useful and helpful genealogy section.
Cordially, nancy
Nancy R. Scott. nrscott30@yahoo.com

Posted: 24 Sep 2012 12:50AM GMT
Romona is north out of Spencer, on White River, of course.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic