Search for content in message boards

John JEFFREYS

John JEFFREYS

David Jefferis (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Jan 2011 4:38PM GMT
Surnames: Jeffreys, Ireland, Chandler
I am descended from John Jeffreys born in 1606. He married Margaaret Ireland daughter of Thomas Ireland and margaret Aston. They had a son Thomas date born unknown. My notes indicate that the family were landowners from the 10th century. Thomas had a son John born in 1630 in Wiltshire. His son Robert was born in Pewsey, Wiltshire, England in 1668. Robert immigrated to the United States in 1681 possibly with William Penn. I am looking for any information on this family in England. Thank you

John Jeffries Research

Posted: 28 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 20 Nov 2002 6:57PM GMT
Surnames: Jeffries, Wilson, Ireland
David,

I don't know if our paths has ever crossed in doing research. I have been working on my family history for over 25 years and have written to several David Jeffries ( with the surname spelled several different ways). One David Jeffries, from Swansea, Wales and I have exchanged many messages through slow mail.

I had about determined that my family moved to Virginia from Brecknockshire, Wales and I have a good deal of reseach from there, then another researcher said the Edward Jeffries I was researching came to Virginia from Wiltshire, England and gave the name of who he said were Edward's parents and grandparents in Wiltshire, taking the line back from about 1680 to about 1550. If we haven't exchanged information before I sure would like to do so.

I got to wondering the other day that since Wiltshire was not very far from Brecknockshire could it have been the same Jeffries' families, or their close relatives living in both places. I know I have seen an Ireland family living in Brecknockshire also. Robert Jeffries

Jefferis in Wiltshire

Posted: 30 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Jefferis
Robert,
I do not believe we have ever crossed paths. From what I have learned by family is descended from Sir Thomas Jefferys. His son John is my direct descendent. John's brother was George know as the "Hanging Judge". Thomas's grandson, Robert emigrated to the colonies in 1681. He married Jane Chandler also of Wiltshire. I have more information at home. If you like, I can send you more. Send me another e-mail and I will send you all I have. Good luck. David Jefferis

Jefferis family

Posted: 31 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Robert,
Thank you for the information. When you mentioned Acton that rang a bell. One piece of information I have mentioned this location related to my Jefferis line. Perhaps we are searching for the same line through different brothers. If you find additional information when you get to England please let me know. This has been fascinating for me and I will continue to research. Talk to you soon. David

Jeffries Research

Posted: 31 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Jeffries
David,

I have done some research on George and some of his relatives, because I believed my line could probably tie into his line. One of the main books I have read on his life says the Judge's father's family lived in the northern section of Brecknockshire County, Wales and had a home there called Acton, or something like that. The main man I am researching, who I am pretty certain my line goes back to is an Edward Jeffreys, and I think the Judge had a brother by that name. Researchers say he died in Spain, but they could be wrong. I believe my line goes back to Brecknockshire, Wales and ties into the John Jeffries who was an Alderman and important businessman of London. He never married and took two nephews to train and into his business. These nephews named John and Jeffery became knights and Jeffery was always called Sir Jeffery. They both owned much land in many parts of Virginia, including the county of Richmond, where Edward settled and was always a large landowner. Sir Jeffery had a father and a brother named Edward. I don't think my ancestor was one of these but I believe he was related somehow to the family. I have heard that Wales, in the 1600's, had many Civil Wars, and that often the young men on the losing side were shipped to Barbados. I haven't been able to find many reference books from there, but the books I have found showed Jeffries living there, before 1680, and also men by the last names of many friends of Edward in Virginia. Some researchers say Edward came to Virginia from Bardados. When the other researcher I have been in contact with said he had Edwards' father and grandfather in Wiltshire this kind of changed my idea, but now I believe the Jeffreys of Brecknockshire first settled in Wiltshire and after they moved to Brecknockshire some of the family may have remained in Wiltshire. I am still not certain that the Judges and Sir Jeffrey's family are not related in some way.

I don't know where you live today, but I live in La Grange, Georgia, which is about 500 miles south of Virginia. This created some problem in my research from between 1680-1788, when the descendents moved to Georgia, but not nearly the problem I have in researching Wiltshire and Brecknockshire families. I have been lucky in meeting one David Jeffries from Swansea, Wales, who is researching the family, although his doesn't tie in too closely with mine, and he doesn't have a computer.

My wife and I have a married son stationed in England in the Air Force about 50 miles above London, near Cambridshire. We plan to visit him and wife in about a month and I plan to visit and do some research in Wiltshire and in Brecknockshire, as well as the government research centers in London. I will also keep an eye out for the Judge for you.

I'll close for now. I appreciate your answering my query and I hope to hear from you some more soon. Robert

Jefferis of Wiltshire

Posted: 7 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Jefferis, Chandler
I am still trying to find the ship that Robert came over to this country on. I do have some information on the family in England. This is not verified but has come from more than one source so I place some validity in the information. Robert is the son of John J, Jeffreys of Wiltshire, England. John J. is the son of Sir Thomas Jeffreys of Wiltshire. John J. brother was George Jeffreys born in Acton, Wales. He is know as the "Hanging Judge". he was the First Baron of Wen/Wem and was an English jurist associated with King James II. King James promoted him to First Lord Chancellor. When James fell into national disfavor he fled and George was arrested and imprisoned in The Tower of London where he died four months later in 1689. I also have an article on George from a web site that gives more and sometimes, conflicting information. the site is http://shepton-mallet.ukonline.co.uk/history_jeffreys_bio.ht...
Good luck in your search. I have a lot more information on the family after they emigrated to the US. I am also in California and would be happy to copy any information I have that may be useful. Let me know.

David Jefferis

Robert Jefferis/Jane Chandler

Allen Jefferis (View posts)
Posted: 7 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Jefferis, Chandler
David,

I am a decendend of Roert Jefferis and Jane Chandler by their son William Jefferis and grandson William Jefferis.

I know very little about them except they were from Wiltshire, England and immigrated to the colonies in the 1680's. I would appreciate any information about the Jefferis/Chandler families in England, and where and how they came to the colonies. I have just started searching my family background.

Thanks,

Al Jefferis
San Jose, CA

Robert Jefferis

Allen Jefferis (View posts)
Posted: 10 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
David,
Thanks for the information on Robert's ancestors. Please let me know anything about Robert's ship. I would also like to know anything you have about the early generations in this country, especially about where they lived in Pennsylvania. I am a decendent of Darlington Jefferis who moved to Darke Co., Ohio. My line is the following: Robert, William,Sr., William,Jr., Job, Darlington, Squire, William A., Raymond (my father). You can email me directly at aljeff1@attglobal.net
Thanks,
Al Jefferis
723 Huntswood Court
San Jose, CA 95120

Re: Jeffries Research

Jeffries (View posts)
Posted: 26 Oct 2001 10:31PM GMT
I am a direct descendant of Judge George Kirk Jeffries, he came from Wem North Wales.

Re: Jeffries Research

Posted: 27 Oct 2001 1:14AM GMT
Surnames: Jeffries, Wilson
I would like any information as to what happened to Judge Jeffries' brother, Edward, who was a Captain in the King's forces that lost in the Civil War of England. I have heard that all the losing officers were shipped overseas to Barbados. I wonder if Edward was. I know he married Elizabeth Wilson in Richmond County, Virginia in 1680, just after they had arrived in the county from Barbados. Robert Jeffries (rjffres@charter.net)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic