Search for content in message boards

Newspaperarchives

Newspaperarchives

Posted: 31 Jan 2012 6:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
If you haven't used this site in a while, beware, half of the newspapers aren't available anymore, results will show up when you search, but when you click on it to see them,
it says unaailable, it is going downhill fast, and they made "improvements" with a new search engine, and it is worse. It doesn't take you to page of your result, only to the newspaper, you have to then go page by page, takes hours.

Re: Newspaperarchives

Posted: 2 Apr 2012 8:53PM GMT
Are you a member still? Could you see if they have the "Tribune" from Trumbull County, Ohio? I am looking for some obituaries from some of my family members

Re:The National Archives is the real deal......

Posted: 25 Sep 2012 3:48PM GMT
Forget the you have to pay for newspaper finds.....Just go to
http://chroniconlingamerica.loc.gov/newspapers/ you will have to search on the state then the drop down box will give you a list of newspapers just choose the paper you want, the search on a name, town, place anything and it will find the papers that is in and highlight it and give you the copies. A simple clip tool will give you the article with the copy right already on it. One last thing IT IS FREE!! Every state every newspaper or at least all they could find all the way back to the 1800's. Hope this helps...
Karen Morgan Meissner

Posted: 26 Sep 2012 1:25PM GMT
Edited: 26 Sep 2012 1:32PM GMT
The link you provided does not work. It should be:

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/newspapers/

Posted: 26 Sep 2012 3:58PM GMT
OK thanks for correcting that for me ...appreciated
also, you do not need to have a membership at least not one you have to pay for... it has been too long since I started using it.

have fun reading!
Karen Morgan Meissner

Posted: 6 Nov 2012 1:47PM GMT
This post is not only untrue, it's ridiculous. Whoever posted it probably doesn't have a clue as to how to use the site. I use NewspaperArchives on a frequent basis. No changes have been made to the site. The search engine is the same; only the layout of the search fields has been changed (i.e., the minor changes are only cosmetic). Clicking on a search result DOES take you to the page of your result. Occasionally when one of their servers is down, you may get a "not available" message; but you may be able to access the result by returning at a later time.

There are worthwhile comments on this message board, some that are not so worthwhile, and some that are just plain libel.

Posted: 24 Mar 2013 4:25AM GMT
I appreciate the idea behind the library of congress site, but it is very limited in what papers are digitized. If you click on the state you want, it will give you a list of all papers in that state. Then when you click on the link to see all digitized papers, often there are none for the state you want. I do not find it a useful resource at all in it's current form.

Posted: 19 Apr 2013 4:13PM GMT
Do you mean newspaperarchive.com?
I'm a new member, and I haven't had any of these problems.

Posted: 21 Apr 2013 3:11AM GMT
I went to check out the changes they have made. I am sorry to say it is not the web page it used to be. I had so much fun just entering any name or event and up can the page from the paper I chose. You can not do that anymore. It is too bad and it makes me sad that our National Archives are so difficult to navigate.
Kmeissner

Posted: 22 Apr 2013 1:45AM GMT
I often use the Linkpendium site, which lists the newspapers that are available at Newspaper Archives, and I can confirm that some newspapers that used to be on the Archives site are no longer there, so no it is not "libel"
per page

Find a board about a specific topic