Search for content in message boards

Varju and Wolfe

Varju and Wolfe

Posted: 15 Jan 2009 1:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Varju, Farkasinski, Bentley, Wolfe, Moore
Does anyone have any information on the Varju or Wolfe family out of Logan & Boone county?

Thanks!

Re: Varju and Wolfe

Posted: 15 Jan 2009 6:51PM GMT
would help if you would give names/dates, etc.
G.

Posted: 15 Jan 2009 9:16PM GMT
Surnames: Wolfe Varju Farkasinski Farkasinzsky
My apologies. That part of my family is extremely small in the area so I thought that if anyone knew a Varju or Wolfe, odds are that it's my family.

But you are right! Here is what I know:

My father, James Frederick "Freddy" Wolfe (1944- ), was born in Logan to Janet Elaine Bentley (1923-2008) and James Wolfe (1918-1985). For awhile he lived in Whitman before moving to Huntington. The Bentleys are not giving me trouble; it's the Wolfes!

Now bear with me because this is where it gets confusing to some and very detailed. But it's important to get into detail for clear understanding.

James Wolfe (1918-1985) was born in East St. Louis, IL. He had four siblings - Joseph (b. 1910), Mary (b. 1912), William (b. 1914), and Victoria (b. 1918). They were all born to Maria (Mary) Roncsek and Gyorgy (George) Farkasinski. There is another spelling on record for this name - Farkasinzsky. The parents were Hungarian/Austrian immigrants. I am 100% positive of the mother's name but 95% sure of the father's name. I found only one Farkasinski going to East St. Louis with a wife named Maria, so I am assuming that these are the parents. I am still waiting on the birth certificates from Illinois to confirm the father's name but found out that the children were born under "Wolfe." A little off topic, but another Farkasinski also came over with Gyorgy (possibly a brother) so we may have more Wolfes.....but that for another day.

But at some point the name changed from Farkasinski to Wolfe. Here is a little Hungarian trivia for ya - "Farkas" translates to "wolf" in Hungarian so ta-da....our last name. The mother started to go by Mary Wolfe and if the father's name is correct, he would be George Wolfe. When he stepped off the boat he was still going by the Hungarian spellings but by the time he was East St. Louis for the 1910 census, he was already going by George Farkasinzsky. It looks as thought they came over in 1910 (father) and 1911 (mother). Because if that, Jospeh was actually born in Hungary-Austria. On the immigration papers, they came over with a child of the same age and sex but he was named Gyorgy, too. So that is confusing to me.

Anyway, sometime between the last child's birth in 1918 and 1923, the father passed away in East St. Louis. I haven't searched that death certificate yet. But in 1923, all five children were placed in a children's home in Belleville, IL (outside East St. Louis) until the mother retrieved them in 1927 and moved them all back to Rossmore, Logan, West Virginia. According to the children's home, she remarried a man named Emery Varju.

Actually, according to Logan marriage records, Emery and Mary weren't married until 1933. Emery Varju is listed as divorced and Mary is listed as widowed. Emery was also born in Hungary. His name could also be spelled Imre. I found a few Imre Varjus in the Ellis Island records but only one really close match. And according to a marriage certificate of one of his children, the first wife's name was Maria Tornik...I think. The writing is a little hard to read.

Emery had at least one child from his first marriage and I know that they had children with the second wife. I know, per a death certificate, that once child did die - Irene Varju (1935-1935). I know of one more child they had together - George Varju (1928-1982). I uncovered his obit and he died in Mason County, WV. In his obit, he listed surviving siblings as Joseph Wolfe of Brooklyn, NY James Wolfe of Barboursville, WV and Victoria Fiorra of Adah, PA. This is very solid evidence. And of course, I can't find any Fiorras so that adds to my struggle of finding Victoria. In March, I will be in WV so I planned on searching for more information on all of this. So sometime before 1982, William and Mary passed away. Where? When? I know that all five children left Illinois in 1927 and after that....what?

I guess what has thrown me for a loop is if she was in East St. Louis, how did she meet Emery Varju in WV? That is why I was hoping to meet family memebers. She literally stepped off the boat and went straight to her husband in Illinois. Was Emery in Illinois at some point? Was he in IL or WV during his first marriage? Did she have family or friends in WV and went there after her husband's death?

And what happened to the Farkasinski/Wolfe children? My father never really knew my grandfather; they divorced when my dad was very young. I do know that he served active duty during WW2, lived in Wheeling for some time in the 70s, and died in Barboursville at the VA home. I don't know if he ever remarried.

I know that this is a lot of information but for me to tell the story, it has to be done in detail to avoid confusion! The fact that the names changed once the family was in USA only compounds the problems.

It looks as though at least one Varju went on to Boone County and from there to the Raleigh, NC area.

This is all so frustrating for me. My dad went his entire life not knowing anything about the paternal side of his family. He told me that he remembers going to "Grandma Varju's house" as a kid but other than that, nothing. His mother passed in October and he received a few items from her estate that pertained to his bio dad. He received a few photos and for the first time, I got to see what he looked like. It was upseting to me that when he was asked about those items, he had no answers because his dad was never there. So I took it upon myself to help him get those answers.

So any help is greatly appreciated. My dad is now 64 years old and maybe I can help him find out where his family came from before he passes on.

Posted: 15 Jan 2009 10:05PM GMT
Surnames: Varju
HI,

I can't help you with what you are looking for, but when I was reading your message I remembered a boy that I graduated with named Julius Varju. This is not in WV but In Ohio. I went to our local phone book and he is listed and his father is also listed.

I have not seen him in 30 years since we graduated so I don't really know anything about the family. But I thought with a name like Varju you might be interested.

Jane (Spurlock) Hoholski

Posted: 15 Jan 2009 10:24PM GMT
Surnames: Varju, Farkasinski, Bentley, Wolfe
Thank you! May I ask what part of Ohio? And you are correct, a name like Varju is hard to miss. It's not like we are dealing with Smiths or anything...lol!!!

Alice

Posted: 15 Jan 2009 10:29PM GMT
HI,

This is Lorain Ohio, approximately 25 miles west of Cleveland.

Jane (Spurlock) Hoholski

Posted: 15 Jan 2009 10:48PM GMT
Thanks for the help!

Posted: 15 Jan 2009 11:02PM GMT
You are welcome.

Jane

Posted: 16 Jan 2009 11:39AM GMT
Here is Emeroy Varju's obituary.
Emery Varju
MADISON - A funeral will be held Thursday at 10 a.m. in Hunter and Hunter Funeral Home here for Emery Varju, 79 of Logan. The Rev. Aidan Luce will officiate and burial will be in Boone Memorial Park here.
Mr. Varju died Sunday in a Man hospital. He was a miner and a retired member of the UMWA. He is survived by a son, Jimmie Varju of Cleveland, Ohio and a grandchild.
Wednesday, January 26, 1966 The Charleston Daily Mail

Posted: 16 Jan 2009 1:57PM GMT
Holy cow! Thank you!

The only death verification I had was from the SSDI. This is a tremendous help!

Thank you, thank you!

It just dawned on me that his wife is NOT listed as a survivor so they must have divorced or something because she died in '74. I have her SSDI as well. But Jimmie Varju....yep. I have him listed as a son because I found him in the marriage records of Logan County.

Again....thank you!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions