Search for content in message boards

Society San Biagio di Militello Rosmarino

Society San Biagio di Militello Rosmarino

Posted: 7 Dec 2005 4:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Biagio Biaggio Militello Rosmarino, Biagio Sidoti, John Serra, Salvatore Battaglia, Rosario Locigno, Biagio Terrazo, and Giuseppe Locastro, Tony La Tragna, August Piscitello, Ignazio Lupica, Mick Guistino, Carolyn Vana, and Joseph Sidoti
There is in Cleveland an organization of former immigrants from Militello da Rosmarino, Messina province, Sicily, Italy. Their website at http://www.saintblaisesociety.org says, "The Society was founded in the City of Cleveland, Ohio with the name Society San Biagio di Militello Rosmarino. The organization's primary mission is to honor Saint Blase, the patron Saint of Militello Rosmarino, Sicily. The members also work to uphold their Christian beliefs and their Italian heritage."

The history of the organization mentions "The six devoted [founders] men with background in business, medicine, law and farming were Biagio Sidoti, John Serra, Salvatore Battaglia, Rosario Locigno, Biagio Terrazo, and Giuseppe Locastro. They settled in the area of Woodland and Scovill Avenue in Downtown Cleveland. This area was made up of Italian immigrants from Messina, Italy.
"The first church to house the Statue of Saint Blaise was Saint Anthony's Church at Ninth and Carnegie. It was then moved to Saint Anthony and Saint Bridget's Church on Twenty Second and Woodland Avenue. From there, it was placed in Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church (East) and finally the statue has found a permanent home in Holy Rosary Church, now declared a Historical Landmark, in Cleveland, Ohio."
Their activities are described as "Saint Blaise Mass [at] Holy Rosary Church, Typically First Sunday of February Each Year, (February 8, 2004) 11:00 AM. Join us at the 11:00 Mass after which the Pastor of Holy Rosary Church will bless the throats of the congregation as has been the tradition for many years." and as "Monthly Member Meetings [at] Independence Public Library Meeting Room, Third Sunday of Each Month (September - April) 3:00 PM".

Their contact address is info@saintblaisesociety.org.

The officers (probably of 2004) were Tony La Tragna, August Piscitello, Ignazio Lupica, Mick Guistino, Carolyn Vana, and Joseph Sidoti. The website includes a list of members, about 40 names.

Re: Society San Biagio di Militello Rosmarino, Piscitello

Posted: 12 Dec 2005 1:21PM GMT
Surnames: Piscitello, Ianitto, Yanito, Lupica, Sidoti, Franchino, Caputo
Thomas
My family has been a part of this Society since the
1920's. Most of the names on the Society list are my family. I have lived in Az for the last 24 years. I am working on family tree Piscitello from Militello to Cleveland and beyond. Piscitello, Ianitto (Yanito),
Randazzo, Franchino, Lupica, Valore, Caputo, Magano,
Manzo, Sidoti are tied to my family.

Any ties to the Russo Feminella family?

Posted: 13 Dec 2005 1:20PM GMT
Surnames: Russo Feminella Blogna Pisa Coppolino Farone Costanza Palatrone
Hello Jerry,
Thank you for responding. Do you have any family connections to the Russo Feminella family, also of Militello Rosmarino? A daughter Angela (also Angelina) Russo Feminella emigrated from there about 1914 to marry Giovanni (John) Iacano of Cleveland in June 1914. Her parents were Vincenzo "Vingerusso" Russo Feminella and Rosa Blogna. (I believe that Rosa's name is spelled correctly as Blogna, and not Bologna.) She was born 2 Oct 1895, the first of five children (Biagio b 1897, Joseph b abt 1900, Tony b abt 1900, and Caroline b abt 1905). All the children along with their parents immigrated to the Cleveland area. Their spouses were of the Pisa, Coppolino, Farone, Costanza, and Palatrone families. (Probably none of these families were from Militello Rosmarino.)

Are all the families you name from M.R.?

I have access to the civil birth registers on microfilm for about 1870 to 1905, if you would like to ask for any look-ups. I would appreciate dates to make the look-up more reliable.

Thomas Kohn

Re: Any ties to the Russo Feminella family?

Jerry Davis (View posts)
Posted: 13 Dec 2005 1:37PM GMT
Hello Thomas
Thanks for the response. Russo Feminella family
unfamilure to me. Most of my family from Militello Rosmarino, Valore's and Sidot's from S Agata de Militello. I have a large part of my Family in Cleveland and S Cal. Have quite a few in Militello also. A group
of my Ianitto (Yanito) went this past spring. I went to school with a Iacano in Warrensville Hts Ohio about
30 years ago. Would be intrested in records you have.
I have a tree on ancestry with quite a bit of info.
Jerry dot Davis at asm dot com
Jerry

val (View posts)
Posted: 22 Apr 2006 11:21PM GMT
My husband's family came here to cleveland from Militello, Sicily. I know of his grandfather and great uncle coming on 4-21-1902. They came to live with benedetto Manzo. They were all part of the society you are referring to. Please let me know of any information you may have on this family. Please e-mail me at vm44087@msn.com.

Jerry Davis (View posts)
Posted: 24 Apr 2006 1:17PM GMT
My great great grandmother was a Theresa Manzo
married to Salvatore Piscitello. They lived in Militello
Rosmarino. My grandfather Sam Piscitello came to Cleveland Feb 1921 with 2 cousins. He already had
family living in Cleveland. Other family names in
Cleveland from Militello include Lupica, Bruno,
Magano, Sidoti, Bernardo, Ianitto (Yanito) Sanna.
you can contact me directly Jerry.Davis@asm.com
most of the members and officers of the Society of
San Biagio de Militello are my family.

Jerry

Posted: 20 May 2007 7:14PM GMT
My greatgrandparents were also Theresa Manzo and Salvatore Piscitello, whose son, Vincenzo Frusteri was my father's father (Frank B. Frustere) and brother to Sam.

Have you been able to go back any further than Theresa & Salvatore?

I am your second cousin, I think. My brother is Jim Frustere. Cousins from Sam & Rose were Barbara, Margaret and Bob.

Would love to hear from you.

Judy (Frustere) Kennedy

Posted: 22 May 2007 1:57AM GMT
Surnames: Piscitello
I have to correct that e-mail. The Piscitello's were my father's mother's parents. Sam Piscitello was an uncle I remember from my childhood, living somewhere outside Cleveland, OH. Was his wife Josephine?

Anyway, I believe we are distant cousins any way. Does your research go back any further than Salvatore?

Posted: 22 May 2007 1:11PM GMT
Hello Judy

Salvatore Piscitello and Teresa Manzo had a daughter Angela that married Vincenzo Frusteri. Vincenzo and Angela had a daughter Rose who married Mike Frisoli. Rose was first cousin to my grandfather Sam Piscitello. When I lived with my grandparents, Mike and Rose lived on the other side of Granger Road we lived on E141st in Maple Hts.
I am going to Militello in October with my mom Florence
and her brother August. I have a tree on ancestry and available on rootsweb also.
There were several Sam Piscitello's all cousins. I believe all Piscitello's around Cleveland are related.
please e-mail me at Jerry.Davis@asm.com or
jerrydavis3@cox.net
I beleive we are related to the Manzo's that own Reddi's pizza in Maple Hts and Twinsburg
Hope to hear from you soon
Jerry

Posted: 9 Sep 2007 3:19AM GMT
I am related to the Manzos that own Reddi's Pizza. the family is from Miletello sicily. I speelled that wrong! what info do you have on the Manzo family that you could share with me. We live in cleveland ohio and have a lot of manzo relatives in the area. my e-mail address is vm44087@msn.com. Please write!
Thank you
Valerie Manzo
per page

Find a board about a specific topic