Search for content in message boards

1860 Census - Help w/Post Office Name & Modern Location

1860 Census - Help w/Post Office Name & Modern Location

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 8:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm looking at the 1860 census, image 31 on Ancestry's version; page 30 on the actual census.

http://search.ancestry.com/Browse/view.aspx?dbid=7667&pa...=

I've gone forward & back from this image trying to get a legible rendering of the post office name & it appears to be, "Metompkin".

On Google maps, the only place I can find by the name of Metompkin is Metompkin Bay.

I'm curious if there had been a settlement for this post office, now gone & where it was or if there is a present day town there with a different name.

Can anyone tell me if I'm reading the post office name correctly and where this post office might have been?

Is there a present day location that corresponds to the 1860's Metompkin Post Office?

Thanks.

Re: 1860 Census - Help w/Post Office Name & Modern Location

Posted: 5 Mar 2013 12:55PM GMT
Years ago there was a post office, and a small community, on Metompkin Island - but after decades of hurricanes and land sales, the community gradually shifted from the island to the adjacent peninsula. Today, when someone refers to Metompkin as a community, they are referring to the rural area between Metompkin Island and Parksley, Virginia.

Posted: 6 Mar 2013 12:19AM GMT
Thanks for the reply.

The now vanished community on Metompkin Island sounds like what I'd be looking for given I was looking at an 1860 census and where most of the heads of household for the community were sailors.

I'm hours away so anything in a local library down there would do me no good. Would you know off hand of any histories for the now vanished settlement that might be available on the web?

Ditto cemeteries & churches cemeteries that might have been on the island or that the islanders would have used on the penninsula?

Thanks again.

Posted: 6 Mar 2013 1:09AM GMT
I don't know of any online histories, but I'm pretty sure the people at the Barrier Islands Center (http://www.barrierislandscenter.com) could help you. Its director is Laura Vaughan. The phone number there is 757-678-5550.

Posted: 6 Mar 2013 1:39AM GMT
I've been googling around since my reply looking for anything on line but primarily local histories and historic maps that might show the vanished settlement which often will also indicate a church &/or cemetery location.

I hadn't had too much luck so far but will give these folks a call tomorrow.

Thanks again for the help.

Posted: 6 Mar 2013 5:19PM GMT
Call U S post office in Mappville, Virginia
The number is 757-824-5588
When I wrote in Metompkin it came up Mappville.
Gale

Posted: 6 Mar 2013 8:10PM GMT
Thanks for the reply.

I suppose that's because, as 1_kenedysmith told me, the general area between Parksley, VA & Metompkin Island is now known as Metompkin.

Seeing the power of a hurricane first hand several times in my lifetime, the latest time being Sandy & looking at Metompkin Island, I can well understand why the original Metompkin PO and community are now nothing but a part of history.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic