Search for content in message boards

Black Cherokee Ancestry

Black Cherokee Ancestry

Linda (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jan 2004 4:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McDowell
I am looking for any information on my deceased mother-in-law's ancestry. The information we were given is that she was Cherokee and African-American - her name was Anna Bell (McDowell) Bright. We believe her father's name was Carolina McDowell, who lived in North Carolina.The family tree is very vague, but I would greatly appreciate any info that I could pass on to my own children about their heritage.

Re: Black Cherokee Ancestry

Posted: 25 Jan 2004 1:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Oct 2005 8:25PM GMT
Hi Linda

More information is needed: Where in North Carolina did this family reside? Any other residences? When & where was Anna born? When & where did she die? Children's names?

The surnames BRIGHT & McDOWELL do not appear in Jo Ann Curls Page's book: Index to the Cherokee Freedmen Enrollment Cards of the Dawes Commission 1901-1906 nor in Napoleon Davis' compilation: Oklahoma Creek Freedman: My Roots. 1858-1921. This isn't intended to say Anna was not of Cherokee or Creek ancestry, just says she's not on the list(s) where one would expect to find her if there is a connection. There or other Indian Nations she might have a connection with; Choctaw, Chickasaw, Seminole, or some other.

Have you gathered census data? That's the place to start; 1930 back to 1870. Was Anna slave or free? Important to know as it will dictate how to handle the census' from 1860 back.

Hope this helps.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic