Search for content in message boards

Black Cherokee Ancestry

Black Cherokee Ancestry

Linda (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jan 2004 4:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McDowell
I am looking for any information on my deceased mother-in-law's ancestry. The information we were given is that she was Cherokee and African-American - her name was Anna Bell (McDowell) Bright. We believe her father's name was Carolina McDowell, who lived in North Carolina.The family tree is very vague, but I would greatly appreciate any info that I could pass on to my own children about their heritage.

Re: Black Cherokee Ancestry

Posted: 25 Jan 2004 1:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Oct 2005 8:25PM GMT
Hi Linda

More information is needed: Where in North Carolina did this family reside? Any other residences? When & where was Anna born? When & where did she die? Children's names?

The surnames BRIGHT & McDOWELL do not appear in Jo Ann Curls Page's book: Index to the Cherokee Freedmen Enrollment Cards of the Dawes Commission 1901-1906 nor in Napoleon Davis' compilation: Oklahoma Creek Freedman: My Roots. 1858-1921. This isn't intended to say Anna was not of Cherokee or Creek ancestry, just says she's not on the list(s) where one would expect to find her if there is a connection. There or other Indian Nations she might have a connection with; Choctaw, Chickasaw, Seminole, or some other.

Have you gathered census data? That's the place to start; 1930 back to 1870. Was Anna slave or free? Important to know as it will dictate how to handle the census' from 1860 back.

Hope this helps.
Preston
per page

Find a board about a specific topic