Search for content in message boards

Charles ELLIOTT born Smallburgh/ Norwich about 1853

Charles ELLIOTT born Smallburgh/ Norwich about 1853

Posted: 31 Oct 2012 3:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Nov 2012 12:55PM GMT
Surnames: Elliott
Can anyone help find my Ggrandfather Charles Elliot before 1871 . I feel he was born around 1853, and he is missing on 1861 and 1871 censuses. He gives his POB as Smallbury, which may be Smallburgh, and also as Norwich. From his marriage cert. his father was William and a sailor. I keep coming back to this dead end but cannot crack it.

Re: Charles ELLIOTT born Smallburgh/ Norwich about 1853

Posted: 31 Oct 2012 6:12PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 1 Nov 2012 12:55PM GMT
Surnames: Elliott,TAGGART
The confusion is that in 1881 he says he was born in London

ELLIOTT, Charles Head M 26 1855 Coal Miner
London, Middlesex
ELLIOTT, Elizabeth Wife Married F 23 1858
Workington, Cumberland
ELLIOTT, Ann Daughter Single F 6 1875 Scholar
Byers Green, Durham

Piece: 4959 Folio: 48 Page: 19 Registration District: Durham Civil Parish: Willington Municipal Borough: Address: 79, Russell Place, Willington County: Durham

Is this their marriage?

Marriages Sep 1873 (>99%)
Elliott Charles Durham 10a 515
TAGGART Elizabeth Durham 10a 515

Re: Charles Elliott born Smallburgh/ Norwich about 1853

Posted: 31 Oct 2012 6:54PM GMT
Edited: 1 Nov 2012 12:56PM GMT
Surnames: Elliott,Lynes
Thanks for your prompt reply...yes that is his marriage. I have checked for him London and Norfolk, but every possible lead has been wrong so far. He had a "nephew" living with him in 1891, Charles W Lynes from Honing, so have double checked his family looking for Elliot connections too.

Posted: 20 Feb 2015 8:38PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Edited: 21 Feb 2015 2:43PM GMT
Surnames: Bourne,Rowe, Eaton, Scraggs,Bone
Hello ladyinthemirror,
Wonder if you have this information ?.
Birth
Dec Quarter 1855 Kings Lynn Norfolk
Charles Lewis Elliott
Ref.Vol 4b Page 293
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriage
Dec Quarter 1849 Kings Lynn Norfolk
William Elliott Married either Mary Bone
Mary Ann Bourne,
Mary Ann Rowe
Susan Eaton
Dennes Scraggs
Ref Vol 13 Page 521
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hope this helps in some way
Regards.
Maureen.
Liverpool.U.K.

Posted: 21 Feb 2015 10:07AM GMT
Thank you for your help, but I have that Charles Elliott appearing in later censuses, so he has been ruled out. I have been following the Lynes connection to try and establish if maybe he was taken in by a relative and his name changed or something along those lines, but it is throwing up more questions than it has answered.

Posted: 21 Feb 2015 8:29PM GMT
Classification: Census
Edited: 22 Feb 2015 3:32PM GMT
Hello again ladyinthemirroe,
Wonder if this is of any help to you.

1861 Census
Charles Elliott
Sub Distric 1 East Flegg
Parish Ormesby St Margaret
Ecclesiastical parish East Flegg
Age 9
Relation to Head of household Grand-son
Birth Place Yarmouth Norfolk
So this makes his birth year approx. 1852

1881 Census
Hampton Court
Nelson Street
Kings Lynn
St Margaret same as (1861 Census St Margaret)
Kings Lynn
Norfolk

Charles S Elliott age 25 b.1856 Lynn Norfolk Occup Carpenter
Marthan A Elliott Wife age 26 b.1855 Grimston Norfolk
Charles E Elliott Daughter age 1 b.1880 Lynn Norfolk

1891 Census
Charles Elliott Head of Household

County- Durham
Parish- Willington
Ecclesiastical Parish- St Stephen
Sub District-St Oswald
Registered District-Durham
Age 37 b.1854 (Note Born Smallbury) could this be the misunderstanding not Smallburgh as stated.

Hope this helps in some way.
Regards.
Maureen.
Liverpool.U.K.

Posted: 22 Feb 2015 11:26PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 23 Feb 2015 1:19PM GMT
Hi
I think you could be right, there might be a name change here.
Could Charles Elliott be Charles Hannant?

The nephew in 1891, Chas W Lyne, 15, born Honing, is surely William Charles Lynes born 1875 to John + Ellen Selina
That couple married 21 October 1871 at Dilham, John Lynes + Ellen Selina Hannant
image here (is not very clear unfortunately)
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12865-130829-54...
Ellen gives her father as William Hannant, I think it says he is a Waterman

Baptisms in Honing
4 August 1872 Amy Elizabeth Lynes
she seems to have been registered in Smallburgh as Emma Elizabeth Lynes
21 December 1873 Agnes Sophia Lynes
18 July 1875 William Charles Lynes
15 July 1877 Walter Hannant Lynes

John then dies, presumably is the John Lynes buried in Honing 1 Dec 1877, age 45, and then the widowed Ellen Sophia marries George Fletcher in 1880
1881 in Honing
Ellen Fletcher Wife 28 Laborer's Wife born Norfolk Dilham
Charles Lines Son 5 Norfolk Honing
Walter Lines Son 3 Norfolk Honing
I think Ellen is a few years older than 28! In 1891 the Fletcher family are in London, minus Charles
In 1881 Ellen's daughter Emma Elizabeth Lynes is with her grandparents William and Maria Hannant in Dilham (attached)

Ellen was one of many children of Wiliam Hannant and Maria Appleton, who married 13 May 1833 at Sloley. William said to be of the parish of Dilham
In the 1861 census (attached) in Dilham, Ellen doesn't seem to be at home, but they have a 7 year old son Charles.
I am not sure that there is a baptism of Charles
There is this birth registration in the relevant district
Dec 1853, Tunstead 4b 35
Hannand, Charles William
This might just be an error in the GRO indexes, anyway I am pretty sure the name should be Hannant

Ellen Selina, 22, is with her parents in Dilham in 1871, but no sign of brother Charles
There is a death of a Charles Hannant in Sep qtr 1864 Tunstead, we don't know the age, but this is probably not him, because there is a story in the Norfolk Chronicle, 15th October 1864 which seems to be about him
Petty Sessions
Smallbro.'—On Tuesday, before Sir J. H. Preston, and the Revs. E. Wilkins, and T. J. Blofield, Charles Hannant, of Dilham, aged ten years, was charged by Joseph Helden, of Worstead, school-master, with stealing 8s. 6d., on or about the 4th inst., out of a desk in the school-room. The case was adjourned till the 18th, and the prisoner allowed bail.

A week later the Chronicle reported that Charles Hannant (of Dilham, a labourer, aged ten) had been discharged with a caution.
So far, that is the last I can see of him anywhere. He is on the missing list!

One of his brothers, Robert, born in Sloley in 1833, may also later be a Coal Miner in Durham?
Living in Helmington Row in 1881 and Monk Hesleden in 1891
John
Attachments:

Posted: 23 Feb 2015 4:41PM GMT
Hi, I can't thank you enough for your thorough research, which backs up everything that I feel. I am desperate to find some Elliott connection, and for a while thought his brother Thomas had married a Pleasance Fanny Elliott in 1858, but have discounted that theory now. I am working through Charles's siblings to see if there is any Elliott connection, and was amazed to find that Robert, who was in Helmington Row in 1881, has the name Elliott crossed out on the census, and replaced by Hannant. Your information from the Norfolk Chronicle is great, I managed to find it today without subscribing as I was given 3 free searches. That is certainly him. Once again thank you for at least making me feel that it's not just wishful thinking, and that pointers are backing up my theory.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic