Search for content in message boards

Sydney PAYNE, born 1920 in Hardingham,Norfolk

Sydney PAYNE, born 1920 in Hardingham,Norfolk

Posted: 31 Oct 2012 8:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Nov 2012 12:52PM GMT
Looking for information on Sydney Payne, born 1920 in Hardingham,Norfolk, England to John and Anna Hunter. Anyone have access to census records. He came to USA in 1923, want to know where he went from there or what happened to him. Thank you to anyone who can help.

Re: Sydney PAYNE, born 1920 in Hardingham,Norfolk

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 9:01AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Gascon, Payne
Hi

I think you may have a few details wrong. John PAYNE & Anna HUNTER married in 1893 which would mean that Sydney was born 27 years after they married - not impossible but not likely.

I checked out the Ellis Island passenger lists.
There is a Sydney PAYNE age: 3 travelled from Southampton to New York 1923 Ship: Olympic.
It states that his las residence was Hardingham Norfolk but his place of birth was Nottinghamshire. His mother paid his passage and he was going to Brotherinlaw Albert GASCON (U.S.C) Box 85 Sea Breeze Rochester N.Y.
A Violet GASCON age: 24 wife of Albert GASCON same address was also on the ship. Now there is a birth in UK that fits
Births Qrt Dec 1919
PAYNE Sydney H L Mother's Surname: PAYNE
District: Nottingham Vol: 7b Page: 890

My guess would be that Sydney's mother may have been unmarried at time of his birth. Is it possible that his mother was Violet GASCON (nee Payne)...need to see if I can find a marriage of a Violet Payne to an Albert GASCON.

Found 1930 USA Census
Monroe NY
Sidney PAYNE b: 1920 is with Albert & Violet GASCON on the 1930 Census. But he isn't on the 1940 Census with the family. Which now has 5 sons and two daugthers. 1940 Census has mother born England and they are in 18 Elser Ter Rochester , Monroe NY.

I will try and find marriage of Violet ? and Albert GASCON.

Cheers
Tania

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 9:46AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 3 Nov 2012 1:16PM GMT
Surnames: Payne, Hunter,Gascon, Daltilio
Hi Again

Found John PAYNE & Anna (nee Hunter) on 1911 Census UK
District: Basford County: Nottinghamshire seems they moved from Norfolk to Nottinghamshire. Note they have a daughter Violet right age to be Mrs Gascon.

John Payne head b: 1871 Norfolk
Anna Payne wife b: 1871 Norfolk
Albert Payne son b: 1894 Norfolk
May Payne daug b: 1898 Norfolk
Violet Payne daug b: 1900 Norfolk
Milicent Payne daug b: 1903
Leonard Payne son b: 1904
Hilda Payne daug b: 1905 Notts
Gladys Payne daug b: 1906 Notts
Florence Payne daug b; 1908 Notts

It looks like Violet was unmarried when she had Sydney - then in 1922 her sister paid her passage to New York - she must have left Sydney with her family and must have married Albert Gascon in NY and then returned home to get Sydney.

Ellis Island - passenger lists
Violet PAYNE age: 22 Single b: Old Catton Norfolk
Ship: Cedric Arrival NY 17 Apr 1922
Last Residence: Nottinghamshire
Sister paid passage
Sister - Mrs C Daltilio 85 Bloss Street, Rochester NY

So I would try and find a marriage in Rochester NY for a Violet PAYNE to Albert GASCON 1922 to 1923

Cheers
Tania

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 11:49AM GMT
Classification: Death
Edited: 3 Nov 2012 1:22PM GMT
Surnames: Payne
Hi below is a possible death for Sydney - year born fits and other information I gave says that he was born in the Quarter of December 1919 which means he could have been born in the month of September, October,November or December. Anyway would be worth checking out.

United States Social Security Death Index
First Name: Sydney
Last Name: Payne
birth date:16 November 1919
social security number:128-07-2158
place of issuance:New York
last residence:
zip code of last residence:
death date:December 1966
estimated age at death:47

Cheers
Tania

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 1:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
Thank you. I do have a lot of this information but it did not fit. I was wondering about the out of wedlock thing. I will persue as I have time.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic