Search for content in message boards

Murphy Family of Kentucky

Murphy Family of Kentucky

Sherrill Guild (View posts)
Posted: 12 Nov 2000 10:17PM GMT
I am looking for information on the family of Rosell Murphy. He lived in Kentucky, and married Sarah Ann Valentine. Children include Carrie Marie(my grandmother), James Andrew, Mary, Gertrude, Harold Estell, Imogene, Bessie, and Griff. Would appreciate any assistance. Maybe I can help you.

Re: Murphy Family of Kentucky

Posted: 18 Mar 2002 9:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Sep 2002 4:25PM GMT
I do not know if this will help. I live in El Dorado Co. California- I was at a local library, found a reference book:
Georgtown Cemetary, El Dorado Co. Calif.

*Murphy, James A born 10 Jan. 1858 died 7 Sept. 1949

*Murphy, James

*Murphy, Sarah A born 27 June 1865 died 14 Nov 1933

Posted: 10 Jul 2004 4:59AM GMT
Surnames: Murphy, McIntire
Rosell Murphy was the son of James W and Mary E McIntire Murphy. He was born June 11, 1878 in Boyd Co KY and died Jan 17, 1963 in Ironton, Lawrence Co OH. He married Anna Valentine, daughter of Andrew & Mary Brown Valentine, on Oct 29 1904 in Boyd Co KY and they had the following children: James Andrew, Griffeth D, Mary, Carrie Marie, William Howard, Harold Estill, Mildred Imogene, Bessie and Irene who was stillborn. A daughter Gertrude Valentine Murphy was Annie Valentine's child before she married Rosell whom he raised as his own. Rosell spent most of his life in the Boyd & Greenup Co Ky areas, but his later years were spent in the Hanging Rock area of Ohio in Lawrence Co. He was a stone & coal miner mostly but farmed and tended cemeteries in his later years. Grandma Annie used to make beautiful satin quilts from the tossed floral ribbons. Rosell died of malignant prostrate cancer. Annie died later that same year on Dec 5, up in Springfield Oh at her daughter's, Mary Murphy Fraley. I remember that well. Rosell and Annie are buried in the Old Hutchinson Cemetery off Rt 5 in Boyd Co KY. I'd be glad to swap any info on the children.

Posted: 5 Mar 2005 11:03PM GMT
Surnames: Murphy
Hi, I have a James Murphy probably born in Boyd Co KY. Dont have any other information on him. His parents were David M. Murphy and Sarah Galloway. He had seven siblings. If he is the same James. The James Murphy I have is not in my direct line so I have not done any research on him. I have information on his paretnts and sibling , if he is a common anscester.
George

Posted: 5 Mar 2005 11:40PM GMT
Surnames: Murphy, Blanchard, Valentine
Thanks Catherine,
My g-g-grandfather , James W Murphy, was the son of John S Murphy & Martha E Blanchard. He was born in KY in Sept of 1857 and died sometime after 1920. I have been unable to find his death date. I was hoping by finding some cousins they could give me that information as I want to finish his tombstone inscription.
Carol

George (View posts)
Posted: 6 Mar 2005 12:20PM GMT
Carol,
It doesn't look like we match up.I found my James Murphy on the 1880 census and he was born in 1859. His father David M. Murphy I have no parent information on. My family and yours may be related but I guess we will have to do some digging to find out. I would love to find siblings of my David Murphy, but so far no luck.
George

Ella (View posts)
Posted: 6 Mar 2005 5:45PM GMT
Do you have a Frank C. MURPHY married to Mary Elizabeth Mayo in your tree?

Posted: 6 Mar 2005 6:47PM GMT
We have Frank Murphy b:1890 d:1968, son of Charles & Lizzie Murphy of Scioto Co OH. Frank Murphy married Ruth Murphy, daughter of James W & Mary McIntire Murphy of Boyd Co KY. Frank & Ruth Murphy lived and died in and around South Webster, OH. They are buried in South Webster Cemetery, Portsmouth. These Ohio Murphys may be tied in with the KY Murphy's but I don't know how yet.
Carol

George (View posts)
Posted: 6 Mar 2005 8:21PM GMT
Hi, Sorry I don't have a Frank Murphy in my tree. My David M. Murphy was born in Ohio according to the 1880 census. I don't know just when he moved to Ky. I have him on the 1860, 1870, and 1880 Boyd Co Ky census. I have him born in 1826 but I have no idea where in Ohio he was born or his parents. He is listed as an engineer at a saw mill, did any of your Murphys work at a saw mill? I have found that family groups tend to stay together in the same areas. I can't link up to any of the other Murphy in the area.
George

Posted: 6 Mar 2005 8:42PM GMT
George,
I do know my Murphy line originally came from Pennsylvania, migrating into KY and Ohio. John S Murphy was born March 1830 in PA, the county I do not know, nor do I know his parent's names but I think I may have found him in 1850 Greenup Co KY age 19 with his widowed mother, Mary Murphey;
1850 Greenup Co KY, dist 2, Mary Murphey 40 widow, John Murphey 19, William 18, Clarke 12, C H 9, Lewis 6, all from Pennsylvania. John S stated in later census enumerations that his father was born in Ireland and also stated PA.
Carol
per page

Find a board about a specific topic