Search for content in message boards

DNA

DNA

Richard W. Hungerford, Jr. (View posts)
Posted: 2 Oct 2005 11:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hungerford, Hungerville, Hungiville
Hello.

John B. S. Hungerford, Jr. and I conducted a DNA test to attempt to prove we are related. The reason this is interesting is John is from the Australian (and therefore Irish) branch of the family and I am from the Thomas Hungerford of Hartford, CT branch of the American family. The test was inconclusive. If anything, it verifies we are at least 20 generations removed from each other. The next step is to extract DNA from one of the entombed Hungerfords of England and build a case for common ancestry in that manner. We are taking steps to do just that.

An international group of Hungerford genealogists has initiated this Hungerford family project. I am the project coordinator. (Richard W. Hungerford, Jr.) The website for the company we use--featured in a recent Wall Street Journal article (26 Apr 2005)--can be found at: http://www.relativegenetics.com. The test we are conducting is the “Lineage Establisher” which compares 37 markers.

We would like to invite any male Hungerford from documented or undocumented lines to submit their DNA samples to prove their connection and/or strengthen the test results. There are American Hungerfords whose original immigrant arrived in the southern states of Maryland & Virginia, there are Irish Hungerfords who also have used surnames Hungiville and Hungerville, as well as Canadian Hungerfords who should all join this effort. Be forewarned that the test costs $195. (Two years ago it was $300.) The Relative Genetics folks will protect your privacy--you can have your sample destroyed.

As time passes the science involving DNA is getting more sophisticated. The Hungerfords who participate in this study may very well help solve the question of whether Thomas Hungerford (the American or Irish one) or the other Hungerfords are connected to the English Hungerfords. We may be able to someday tell how many generations back the Irish and Americans go to a common ancestor by the test results gathered now. The possibilities are endless as well as exciting.

Once again, I would like to invite any Hungerford males who see this notice to consider participating.

Regards,

Richard W. Hungerford, Jr.
Posted: 20 Oct 2008 11:47PM GMT
For those who care about Hungerfordiana these are exciting times. We are learning more about our various family lines now than ever before. Thanks to science we have uncovered facts that were not possible or were cost-prohibitive to find five years ago.

We are still actively recruiting male Hungerfords from certain family lines in order to verify results and discover connections. We are currently seeking volunteers from the Hungerford line that Linda Marullo documented some time ago--they trace back to James (born c. 1751) who died in Tennessee on July 21st, 1828. His descendants migrated to Louisiana and Texas.

We are also looking for individuals, originally from Ireland, who located in Pennsylvania, Connecticut and Massachusetts who called themselves Hungerford, Hungerville, and Hungiville. We have one volunteer from this group but need more as they may or may not be related to each other. (The one kit has not been tested yet.)

Finally, we are attempting to contact Thomas Hungerford of Hartford descendants who trace themselves through Thomas II's son John (SH4). The reason we are researching this specific group will be explained when we review the discoveries.

There have been some major discoveries. The sequence in which they were made is part of the story. The first surprise came when the Thomas of Hartford, CT line and the Australian/Irish line did not match up. We now have 2 results--one Irish and one Australian (with a third on the way) and the Irish and Australians are related. (One would think that is obvious - but not in light of some other discoveries we have made!)

We then received a kit from a fellow who traces back to the Maryland Hungerfords. He did not match the Irish/Australians nor the Thomas of Hartford, CT Hungerfords who had submitted DNA up to that point.

Things started getting very interesting when we received a test kit from a member of the Thomas Hungerford of Hartford, CT line--and it was different from the other Thomas of Hartford, CT family members results! AND--he was related to the Maryland branch Hungerford. Needless to say this got us scrambling to make sense of the results. We approached and received two more Hungerford volunteers who trace back through Thomas II's son Green and they matched the original Green Hungerford descendants results and the Maryland line too.

Taking a closer look at the early Thomas Hungerford of Hartford families we took note of the fact that Thomas I had Thomas II--who then had three sons who carried on the family name: Thomas III (SH3), John (SH4), and Green (SH5). What we have is 5 descendants of Thomas III and three from Green (SH5) and they match each other but not their cousins. We want to be thorough so we want some fellows from the SH4 line. If the John Hungerford volunteers match the Green DNA results we have a working theory as to what may have happened. If John and Thomas III results match we will be very confused!

Our theory: Thomas (SH3) was reported to be a sea-faring man who died soon after he returned from sea in New London, CT on 29 Sep 1750. Perhaps his wife did not stay true to her vows during the lengthy periods when he wasn't home.

Finally, a test kit returned by a family member of the Hungerfords documented by Linda Marullo led to another surprise. The line that traces back to James (c.1751-1828) matches up with the Irish/Australian line! This leads us to "connect some dots" and make the following guesstimate. James (LM1--in honor of Linda Marullo) is found in a 1787 Lunenburg County, Virginia census. The last remaining Hungerford group in which we have not been able to find current male Hungerfords to volunteer is the Virginia Hungerford line. Stanley Hungerford documents the Virginia line as starting with James Hungerford (1710-?). Could it be that the Louisiana/Tennessee Hungerfords trace back to James and he, in turn, immigrated from Ireland?

As stated before, we still need some more volunteers and we do have 9 more kits generously donated by one of our DNA test participants. We are currently discussing the possibility of doing a "forensic DNA" study on a Hungerford from the English family. We consider it "Phase Two" of this exciting research. More to come.

Regards,

Richard W. Hungerford, Jr.
Posted: 17 Dec 2008 8:30PM GMT
I was helping a Hungerford family from Fairfield Ct. who seem to have 3 girls born in the 1880's and have unknown parentage (possible John or Charle) see info below

BRICK WALL IN FAMILY TREE:
EVA HUNGERFORD
FAIRFIELD COUNTY, CONNECTICUT

I can't find the branch beyond the 2nd Great Grandmother in my children's paternal-maternal family tree,
can you help?! All the information I have is condensed and below.
Please contact me if you can give this branch some leaves or limbs!

DIGITAL PHOTO GRACIOUSLY SHARED BY 'COUSIN' TO MY CHILDREN, GERI SIDES.

"We have many empty branches in this family tree! Don't leaf us alone!" T. Sanford

ALSO KNOWN AS THE FOLLOWING:

EVA J. ANN HUNGERFORD, maiden name

EVA SHERMAN, wife? of Edward Sherman, husband 1

EVA HUBBARD wife of James Hubbard, husband 2

EVA SWEENEY wife of Edward Sweeney, husband 3

INFORMATION KNOWN ON EVA:

BORN: 1 Mar 1885, Bridgeport, Connecticut, Fairfield County

DIED: 13 Sept 1975, Fairfield, Connecticut, Fairfield County

Birthplace verified by the following sources:
1. Marriage license of James Hubbard & Eva Hungerford
2. Birth certificate of Mary Louise Hungerford daughter of Eva Hungerford & Edward Sherman
3. Death certificate of Eva Sweeney

Death place verified by the following sources:
1. Death certicate of Eva Sweeney
2. Connecticut Death Index

RECORDS ON EVA:

1. Marriage license of James Hubbard & Eva Hungerford
2. Birth certificate of Mary Louise Hungerford daughter of Eva Hungerford & Edward Sherman
3. Death certificate of Eva Sweeney

Connecticut Death Index, 1949-2001:

Name: EVA SWEENEY
Death Date: 13 September 1975
Death Place: Fairfield, Connecticut
Birth Date: xxxYOB
Marital Status: Married
Spouse: EDWA
State File #: 17457
Residence: Fairfield, Connecticut
Race: White
Hispanic Origin:

Census Records:

1900 > CONNECTICUT > FAIRFIELD > HUNTINGTON
HUNGERFORD EVA 15 F W CT CT FAIRFIELD HUNTINGTON 1900
**All people born CT, all mothers of people born CT, all fathers born CT**

Smith George W. Head b. 1874 age 26, married 2 years
Alice A. Wife b. Sept 1880 age 19, married 2 years
Ida M. Daughter b. Sept 1899 age 9/12
Hungerford Eva Sister In Law b. Mar 1885 age 15

1910 > CONNECTICUT > FAIRFIELD > FAIRFIELD
HUNGERFORD EVA 25 F W CT CT FAIRFIELD FAIRFIELD 1910

Hubbard James R Head age 51
Jennie V Daughter age 13
Freddie G Son age 11
Harvey Son age 9
Annie Daughter age 2/12
Hungerford Eva Housekeeper age 25
Hungerford Edward Boarder age 3
Hungerford Earnest Boarder age 2

NEED TO KNOW:

WHO ARE HER PARENTS, SIBLINGS, ETC?

MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE GIVES FATHER AS JOHN HUNGERFORD, IS THIS TRUE? COULD SHE BE A DESCENDANT OF JOHN HUNGERFORD THE IMMIGRANT?

DEATH CERTIFICATE GIVES FATHER AS CHARLES HUNGERFORD AND MOTHER AS MARY LOUIS 'UNOBTAINABLE'.

CENSUS INFORMATION 1900 FAIRFIELD, HUNTINGTON NAMES ALICE A. SMITH POSSIBLY EVA'S SISTER.
INFORMATION KNOWN ON EVA'S MARRIAGES:

EDWARD SHERMAN (Chief Blackhawk) b. 26 May 1888 d. 26 Feb 1974 married Eva not legally possibly Indian ceremony about 1906 according to Golden Hill Tribal Records. Edward also had 2 other wives. #1 Edna BONDS and #2 Emma CUNDIFF on 22 May1946. Name of Edward's parents were George William Sherman b. 27 Feb 1861 d. 28 Dec 1938 married about 1887? Harriet CURTIS d. 27 Nov 1904. Name of George's parents were William Sherman b. 7 May 1825 d. 18 May 1886 married May 1853 Nancy HOPKINS (Pequot) b. 21 Oct 1832 d. 7 Feb 1903.

JAMES R. HUBBARD age 52 born Newtown, Conn. Residing in Fairfield. Name of James's parents John HUBBARD and Ann V. HAMILTON. His 2nd marriage to Eva J. A. Hungerford age 26 born Bridgeport, Conn. Residing in Fairfield, single is marriage status of Eva. Name of Eva's father John Hungerford, no mother information given. Dated 19 Sept 1911. State of CT, Marriage License Copy.

EDWARD C. SWEENEY according to death certificate of Eva Sweeney. Connecticut Death Index names spouse as EDWA.

INFORMATION KNOWN ON EVA'S CHILDREN:

Edward Sherman Jr.

Ernest Sherman

3. MARY LOUISE HUNGERFORD name was changed to ANNA GERTRUDE HUBBARD never officially according to public records. Death index record of this person verifies that. Born 16 Sep 1909, Fairfield, CT d. 13 Jan 1998, Bridgeport, CT to Edward SHERMAN and Eva J. Ann HUNGERFORD. Birth certificate states child is illegitimate, 3rd child of mother, 3rd child living. Anna married Frank CORNELL probably in Bridgeport, CT, year unknown and they went on to have approximately 21 children. Frank L. CORNELL b. 21 Jul 1898, Westfield, MA d. 8 Nov 1970, Bridgeport, CT was the son of Arthur CORNELL and Anna CURTIS. (I do have Cornell Family Genealogy records, gracious thanks to a person related to my children & ex husband, a 'cousin' Don McCormick.)
Records on this individual are the following:

CT death index 1949-2001 gives the following information on Anna Gertrude Hubbard:
Name: MARY L CORNELL
Father's Surname: SHERMAN
Death Date: 13 January 1998
Death Place: Bridgeport, Fairfield, Connecticut
Birth Place: Connecticut
Birth Date: 16 September 1909
Marital Status: Widowed
Spouse: FRANK
State File #: 00090
Industry: PEQUOT MOTOR INN
Education: 08
Residence: Fairfield, Fairfield, Connecticut
Address: 217 ARBOR DR ,
Race: White

4. Evalina Elizabeth HUNGERFORD born 25 Mar 1911, Fairfield. Father of Evalina is James R. HUBBARD a mason born in Newtown, age 52, color -black. Mother is Eva J. Ann HUNGERFORD.

5. Dorothy Louise HUBBARD born 8/1/1912, Fairfield. Father is James R. HUBBARD "colored' and mother is Eva J. Ann HUNGERFORD..

MY CONTACT INFORMATION:

SANFORDGENEALOGY@aol.com OR sanfordgenealogy@gmail.com

Copyright 2005-2008 -- All Rights Reserved.

Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records
Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids

s.
Posted: 26 Jul 2009 1:43PM GMT
Hi Richard
Is there any news on the DNA samples from my husband, Michael Hungerford, which were recently sent for analysis, please?

Kind regards
Joy
Posted: 26 Jul 2009 6:02PM GMT
Surnames: Hungerford
Joy:

I am so sorry. I could swear I sent you notification of the findings. A search of my e-mail history turns up nothing. I apologize.

Your husband's results adds to the mystery! He doesn't connect to either the "Irish" or the "Thomas of Hartford" group. He represents yet another faction.

Our next step is to do a forensic test of one of the Hungerfords entombed in Salisbury Cathedral or Farleigh-Hungerford Castle. Stay tuned.

Regards
Posted: 28 Nov 2009 8:04AM GMT
Now that the Kerry Ireland records are on line, new avenues of research have opened up. Some surprises for me.

Especially the surname Hungerville. (or Hungaville)

Mary Hungaville and Matthew Healy. Mid 1850s) Tralee.
I am decended from this couple it would appear.

Amy Amidei posted some years ago on Roots web?
(a short query about Healy/Hungerville marriage.

At that time I did not know of the Hungerville line married into Healy line.

If anyone can shed a light as to how Mary Hungerville arrived in Kerry Ireland. (a non Irish suranme)? like Hungervile? Can anyone tell me where did it originate?

Posted: 25 Feb 2010 7:13PM GMT
Surnames: Hungerford/Armstrong/Wilson- tennessess
I have been trying to follow my paternal lineage back past cullen hungerford b.1805( not Milton his son). I keep hitting a brick wall about marriage and death. Is this the Louisiana Hungerfords you are talking about? How would I go about getting a copy of Linda M. book?
My twin brother would like to be involved in DNA study if still ongoing.

Teresa hungerford Jones
North Carolina
Posted: 25 Feb 2010 7:37PM GMT
Teresa:

e-mail me directly at rwhomaha@tconl.com & I'll give you the e-mail address I have for her. DNA study still active--give him my e-mail so we can converse.

Richard
Posted: 15 Jan 2011 2:53AM GMT
Where are the DNA results posted? I can't seem to find them anywhere. I tried an earlier link but it's broken. I wondered if Teresa's brother actually participated in the study.
Posted: 16 Jan 2011 3:30AM GMT
I never did hear from him. I'm writing an article about the results--to cut to the chase--the Louisiana Hungerfords connect to the Irish branch of the Hungerfords. We could always use more samples to strengthen the results if you know Teresa's brother.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic