Search for content in message boards

Tierney in Limerick, Ireland

Tierney in Limerick, Ireland

Russ (View posts)
Posted: 11 Dec 2000 4:33PM GMT
Mary Tierney married John Boland in Bruff, Limerick on may 5, 1831. I am looking for Mary's parents.

Tierney's in Limerick

Posted: 29 Jan 2001 10:57AM GMT
Edited: 1 Dec 2002 4:44PM GMT
Mine are from there; Matthew, John, Michael and Catherine. They may have had the following cousins or siblings: Jeremiah, Daniel, Mary and Lawrence. These are all family names. Catherine, born c 1812 and one of the older ones married Patrick McCarthy in 1835. Matthew was born in 1825, the older brothers John and Michael c1820. Do you have any names for your Mary's siblings, any names of witnesses at the wedding. Was this wedding in Bruff? I haven't located exactly where in Limerick my Tierney's are. Let me know what other info you have on Mary. Did they have any children. Did they emigrated from Ireland. When, where did they go. Most of Catherine's siblings went to Ontario, near hasting village, Northumberland County (an hour or two east of Toronto.) There were several families of Boland's in the area and several Boland sponsors for the children of these tierney siblings I have mentioned. A well known local historian Edgar Boland, who was the archivist for the Peterborough Catholic Diocese wrote a book about the Church in these early years of Ontario. His people came to the area in that era also.

Tierneys in Limerick

Graham Tierney (View posts)
Posted: 8 Feb 2001 2:35PM GMT
My great,great grandfather was a Micheal Tierney possibly from Limerick,he apears to have had a sister called Mary and had sons called Mattew and John and a daughter, also called Mary, all were born in South Wales U.K.from 1866 on.I think from the information I have that Micheal was born around 1840 he married Mary Quinn but I do not know if this was in Ireland or U.K.Hope this helps.

Re: Tierney's in Limerick

Posted: 2 Aug 2008 2:45AM GMT
Classification: Query
My great-great-grandfather was a Daniel Tierney, c. 1798-1870(?). Was he the Daniel Tierney from Limerick? He and wife Ellen Tierney, c. 1808-1870(?), were both born in Ireland, but it is difficult to determine exactly when. We do know that they settled in Charlestown, Massachusetts, which was then still separately incorporated as a city in Middlesex County. They appear in the 1850 Federal Census, as do the names of their five children, all born in Massachusetts between 1836 and 1846: Mary, David, John, Thomas and Margaret.

Posted: 15 Aug 2008 9:32PM GMT
My great-grandfather was William Tierney, married to Brigid Connor, living in Knoockainey and Knocklong, co Limerick, from around 1850-1880, described as a schoolteacher, a fiddle player, and a noted wit. They had a large family, many of whom emigrated to Chicago. A couple of the sons became policemen there. A Margaret Tierney married twice there when her first policeman husband was shot dead. she was reported to have had a very bad temper. They must have many descendants in the US.

Re: Tierney in Limerick, Ireland

Posted: 24 Aug 2008 8:04PM GMT
Do you know if your Mary Tierney had a brother Daniel (born c. 1798), who emigrated to Canada and then to the U S? He married Ellen_______, probably in the early 1830's, and they had 5 children. They spent the rest of their years in Charlestown, Mass, where both died, probably between 1870-1880. I am a great-great grandson of Daniel & Ellen.

Re: Tierney in Limerick, Ireland

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 12:18PM GMT
Surnames: Tierney's from Limerick
I have been tracing my Tierney roots in Limerick, back to around 1780 – 1827, and focusing on an area around Pallas Grean/Sunville/Drom Lara, just south of Doon close to border with county Tip.

I have confirmed Birth dates of some of the siblings of my GGF Michael born 1841. I have found two brothers and two sisters who went to either USA or Canada following earlier relatives.

They were Mary (born 1845), Margaret (1832), Daniel (1835) and a James DoB unknown. Their parents (my GGGP's) Patrick and Mary (nee Mulcahy) were married in 1827. So Patrick was likely born in the early 1800’s/or Late 1790’s.

I hope this information will help someone. I am currently stuck around 1800.

Mike

Re: Tierneys in Limerick

Posted: 16 Feb 2012 4:04PM GMT
I have been researching my Tierney/Doyle gr.gr. grandparents. The Quinn name has come up several times in Canadian research while looking for Martin Tierney and Elizabeth Doyle Tierney. It caught my eye because my mother, Dorothy Johanna Tierney mentioned a Mary Quinn frequently and my gr gr grandparents mentioned above were married in Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada.

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 5:47AM GMT
Hi there. I have been in a couple of sites that mention the policeman named Tierney who was shot. I believe I saw it on the Genformum site. It is a free site...Just need to register.

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 10:09PM GMT
Thank-you. I'll look it up.
Geraldine
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions