Search for content in message boards

Pidpylypia, Podfilipie, family records

Pidpylypia, Podfilipie, family records

Posted: 22 May 2012 7:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Tabelski
My great-grandfather, Gabriel Tabelski, was born on March 18, 1894 in Pidpylpia or Podfilipie. As a young man, he left what is now the Ukraine, arriving at the port of Halifax, Canada, in March 1911. He spent more than five years in Canada before crossing the border into the USA in December 1916. He lived the rest of his life with his family in Buffalo, New York, dying in 1977.

Does anyone know if there may be any records about the Tabelski family in Pidpylpia? On later documents, Gabriel identified his father as “Vasil,” “Vasilly,” or once as “John.” He was Roman Catholic.

Thank you!

Re: Pidpylypia, Podfilipie, family records

Posted: 31 Oct 2012 5:18AM GMT
Have recently done some research of Podfilipie and West Ukraine for my friend. Her grandfather Stephan Tabenski, lived in Podfilipie and left for Nova Scotia at about the same time (1911-1916) as Gabriel Tabelski. The village is split in two by the Zbruch river which in effect was the border between the Austro-Hungarian Empire and Imperial Russia until the end WW1 in 1918. Stephan Tabenski lived in the larger part of the village situated in the Khemlnytska Oblast (region)of Imperial Russia, (other side of village in the Ternopil Oblast of Austro-Hungarian Empire). This village is very small even today (pop. approx.400) and so it is likely that Stephen and Gabriel knew each other, or at least their families did. Stephen's mother (born Fewrona Stasuk)stayed in the village (father Ivan was deceased). Stephan was Greek Catholic as were many in this area (Galicia, Podolia, western Ukraine) and the history of this region is quite interesting. My friend and her husband spent a week (last week of this past September) in the Ukraine landing in Kiev, by train to their hotel in Kamyanets-Podilskij (largest city in the area) and by bus 40km to the village now known as Pidpylypia. She has many photos of village and spoke to some of the villagers with the help of a young boy who spoke some english. I have a lot of info about this area and it's history (Gabriel was most likely of Polish ethnicity) and would be glad to share what I've found if you contact me. I originally considered that the "L" in Tabelski may have been a misprint of "N" in Tabenski, as the Tabelski name is not popular, but I did find other Tabelski's in Poland, and possibly Germany (can't remember at this moment but I'll research it again). I'm curious if you've found any other info about Gabriel or the Tabelski family name. Please let me know if you have.
Alan

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 11:57AM GMT
Hello Alan,

I was pleased to see your post, and I look forward to sharing information. Would you mind e-mailing me directly at tabelski@gmail.com?

On another message board, I just made contact with another person who is part of the same family tree... I believe her ancestor was a sibling to Gabriel and, according to her, their father's name was Vasil.

It appears that at some point, probably in Canada, Tabenski was changed to Tabelski. Why remains a mystery.

I look forward to hearing from you, and I will hopefully be able to share more information in the near future. Adam

Posted: 14 Nov 2013 10:40PM GMT
The filial RC Parish for Podfilipie was in Turylcze !
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions