Search for content in message boards

Adoptive Parents on Birth Cert?

Adoptive Parents on Birth Cert?

Posted: 1 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Jul 2013 6:55PM GMT
I recently found the CA Birth Records in the Rootsweb Database. First, I was surprised to see the release of birth records up to 1995 - I thought those had a 72 or 75 year law on them.

Secondly - my question: Could adoptive parents get their names on the child's birth certificate or record 5 - 9 years after the child was born? Would a birth record ordered show what was on the Birth Record database or would it show the birth parents names? It appears that, in at least 3 cases, the adoptive parents had the birth record changed (although why, I do not know). I have no background in CA law and would appreciate some help on this.

Names on b.certificate

sonya (View posts)
Posted: 29 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Hello to you, I am not sure how the laws work either, however, I have been searching for my mother's b.mom and her original b.certificate is in CA. The information on her birth certificate, names the adoptive parents, not her birth parents and I have been told that this is an ammended certificate and in order to get a copy of her original, with birth names, we need to petition the court, through an attorney. Best of luck!
Sonya

Baby girl Baker

Janice Morris (View posts)
Posted: 5 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Baker
I am searching for a Family last name Baker who owned grocery store in the Oakland area. There were 2 Baker Families who had a store and they were related. This was in the 40's and maybe later also. Does anyone remember anything?

Re: Adoptive Parents on Birth Cert?

sharon (View posts)
Posted: 23 Aug 2001 2:04AM GMT
Edited: 30 Jun 2006 9:25PM GMT
Surnames: BOOTH, HARRISON
I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET INFORMATION ON THE BIRTH CERT. OF MY SON'S AND I DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE THAT BIRTH REGISTRY COULD YOU LOOK IT UP FOR ME AND LET ME KNOW WHAT IT IS???? PLEASE

MALE: KEVIN ANTHONY BOOTH / DOB: 08-10-79 IN LA MESA, CA. SANDIEGO COUNTY AT GROSSMONT HOSP. MOTHERS MAIDEN: HARRISON. PLEASE HELP ME I NEED THIS INFO. FOR MY SEARCH

Posted: 23 Aug 2001 12:37PM GMT
Edited: 10 Apr 2002 3:23AM GMT
You have more information than the CA Birth Registry. On the Registry on Rootsweb you can add a postem note. Perhaps if others are looking you will connect with them. In Rootsweb, choose searches, then scroll down to CA Birth, Death indexes. Select Birth. Enter information. San Diego County (has space between San and Diego). I believe you can only get the original certificate if you know the birth-mother's maiden name or the name of the child at the time of birth.

Personally, I was looking for genealogy purposes only. I gave up and contacted the cousin directly to get his birth name.

Best of luck, maybe someone with more legal savvy can help further.

Patricia (View posts)
Posted: 7 Nov 2001 3:24AM GMT
When an adoption is finalized, the original birth record is sealed by the court and an amended birth record listing the names of the adoptive parents replaces the original. This is a routine procedure. The amended birth record is virtually identical to the original, with the names of the biological parents replaced with those of the adoptive parents. This, of course, gives the impression that the individual to whom the record refers is the biological child of the adoptive parents. However, there is a conspicuous difference: an original birth record bears the signature of the biological mother who signed at the time of the child's birth, while the typed name of the adoptive mother appears in the field intended for the mother's signature in the amended record. (A birth record bearing a typed named rather than a mother's signature is likely an amended record due to adoption.) While birth records sealed by the court at the time of adoption should not appear in the California Birth Index, some have been overlooked and do appear. I am not aware of any instances of amended birth records appearing in the California Birth Index, however they may. I hope this is helpful.

Posted: 25 Jul 2013 8:48PM GMT
Apparently the amended birth records do appear in the CA birth index. That is what lead me to these posts. I could not understand why the adoptive parent was listed in the birth index rather than the birth parent. Now I know.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions