Search for content in message boards

Roark Cemetery and the McManness or Roark families of Berger, Missouri

Roark Cemetery and the McManness or Roark families of Berger, Missouri

Michael G. McManness (View posts)
Posted: 14 Sep 2006 7:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McManness, Roark
I understand that the Roark - Breeding - Dilthey - Schaub Cemetery is one of the oldest cemeteries in Franklin County, Missouri, located one mile west of Berger, high on a bluff overlooking the Missouri river on the Norbert Horstmann farm.

My ancestor John Martin McManness married Julia Ann Roark. There is a strong probability that they may be buried in the cemetery. I have been unable to locate a complete listing.

Can anyone provide more information about the cemetery or the McManness or Roark families that lived at Berger?

Re: Roark Cemetery and the McManness or Roark families of Berger, Missouri

Marc Houseman (View posts)
Posted: 15 Sep 2006 8:06PM GMT
I'm fairly certain that Mr. Horstmann, who owns the property, is a descendant of those buried there. His wife has done considerable research on the family. I have a list of burials from Maynard Dilthey, who passed away about six months ago. It is a list of the marked graves as well as the unmarked graves that were recalled by his mother. About 36 graves total. There are no McManness graves listed, but I would be happy to mail you these lists if you send me your mailing address.

Posted: 10 Jan 2007 8:04PM GMT
Surnames: Roark
I am a Roark descended from the Roark's in the College Hill area. I'm interested in knowing where this Roark Cemetery is and/or if there are Roark's on your grave list? Appreciate any help thanks Eva Roark Wood

Posted: 10 Jan 2007 8:47PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Surnames: Breeding, Dilthey, Hall, Hiatte, Krattli, Mitchell, Roark, Schaub
The Breeding-Dilthey-Roark-Schaub Cemetery as it is commonly referred to is one of the oldest cemeteries in Franklin County, Missouri. This cemetery is very near the Gasconade County, Missouri line. It is located 1 mile west of Berger, high on a bluff overlooking the Missouri River on the Norbert & Dorine Horstmann farm. It is near the Hermann industrial park overlooking what is known as the Berger bottoms. It has been very well maintained over the years and is enclosed by a fence, however it is somewhat difficult to get to it.

The following Roark's are known to be buried in this cemetery in unmarked graves. This information was told to Maynard R. Dilthey by his mother many years ago.

William Roark, born abt 1790, Tennessee, death 2 May 1845, son of James & Nancy Roark

Nancy (Breeding) Roark, born abt 1790, Kentucky, death abt 1866, Daughter of John & Elizabeth Breeding

Michael Roark, born abt 1799, Virginia, death abt 1854, son of James & Nancy Roark

Susanna (Hall) Roark, born abt 1799, South Carolina, death abt 1864, daughter of Drury Hall

Thomas J. Roark, born 5 Jan 1823, Berger, Franklin County, Missouri, death abt 1871, son of William & Nancy Roark

Joanna (Mitchell) Roark (wife of Thomas J. Roark)

Stillborn (girl) Roark, born abt 1870, Berger, Franklin County, Missouri, death 1870, daughter of Thomas J. & Joanna Roark

The children of Elijah W. & Margaret (Krattli) Roark

America Roark, born 1869, Berger, Franklin County, Missouri, Died young

Louisa Roark, born 1870, Berger, Franklin County, Missouri, Died young

Wm. Peter Roark, born 1872, Berger, Franklin County, Missouri, Died young

Ella Roark, born 1879, Berger, Franklin County, Missouri, Died young

The children of William & Nancy (Roark) Hiatte

stillborn twins, born 1891, Berger, Franklin County, Missouri, death 1891

Posted: 10 Jan 2007 8:48PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Surnames: Breeding, Dilthey, Hall, Hiatte, Krattli, Mitchell, Roark, Schaub
The Breeding-Dilthey-Roark-Schaub Cemetery as it is commonly referred to is one of the oldest cemeteries in Franklin County, Missouri. This cemetery is very near the Gasconade County, Missouri line. It is located 1 mile west of Berger, high on a bluff overlooking the Missouri River on the Norbert & Dorine Horstmann farm. It is near the Hermann industrial park overlooking what is known as the Berger bottoms. It has been very well maintained over the years and is enclosed by a fence, however it is somewhat difficult to get to it.

The following Roark's are known to be buried in this cemetery in unmarked graves. This information was told to Maynard R. Dilthey by his mother many years ago.

William Roark, born abt 1790, Tennessee, death 2 May 1845, son of James & Nancy Roark

Nancy (Breeding) Roark, born abt 1790, Kentucky, death abt 1866, Daughter of John & Elizabeth Breeding

Michael Roark, born abt 1799, Virginia, death abt 1854, son of James & Nancy Roark

Susanna (Hall) Roark, born abt 1799, South Carolina, death abt 1864, daughter of Drury Hall

Thomas J. Roark, born 5 Jan 1823, Berger, Franklin County, Missouri, death abt 1871, son of William & Nancy Roark

Joanna (Mitchell) Roark (wife of Thomas J. Roark)

Stillborn (girl) Roark, born abt 1870, Berger, Franklin County, Missouri, death 1870, daughter of Thomas J. & Joanna Roark

The children of Elijah W. & Margaret (Krattli) Roark

America Roark, born 1869, Berger, Franklin County, Missouri, Died young

Louisa Roark, born 1870, Berger, Franklin County, Missouri, Died young

Wm. Peter Roark, born 1872, Berger, Franklin County, Missouri, Died young

Ella Roark, born 1879, Berger, Franklin County, Missouri, Died young

The children of William & Nancy (Roark) Hiatte

stillborn twins, born 1891, Berger, Franklin County, Missouri, death 1891

Posted: 11 Jan 2007 7:34PM GMT
The cemetery is located on private property very near the Franklin and Gasconade County line. It is pretty much accessible by foot only as I remember it. There are several Roarks buried there. If you send me your mailing address, I would be happy to send you a list of the known burials.

Posted: 11 Jan 2007 7:35PM GMT
The cemetery is located on private property very near the Franklin and Gasconade County line. It is pretty much accessible by foot only as I remember it. There are several Roarks buried there. If you send me your mailing address, I would be happy to send you a list of the known burials.

Posted: 7 Aug 2007 8:18PM GMT
Surnames: Roark, McManness,Colter
I am a Colter descendant, but also descended from many Franklin and Gasconade County people. I am interested in McManness and Charles Phillips (I think his name was Charales) info. Did a Phillips girl marry a McManness? Do you have the McManness/McMannes line info? Are they from Tennessee? I would very much like to correspond with you. Thanks in advance. Shirley. St. Louis.

Posted: 7 Aug 2007 8:56PM GMT
This is interesting. McManness or McMannes does sound familiar. I will have to look it up. Please correspond with me at eva1960@aol.com it's quicker for me. ALSO, your Colter name is very interesting. My Roark cousin Peggy Coulter (Colter) Bryant of Jefferson City is the ggg gr daughter of John Colter. Does this tie in anywhere? If so, let me know and I would be glad to put you in touch with her... thanks Eva Roark Wood

Posted: 7 Aug 2007 9:24PM GMT
Surnames: Adamson, McManness, Phillips
Shirley,

Thanks for writing.

Yes, David Jesse McManness married Mary Lounetti Phillips daughter of William Marion Phillips & Catherine Mildred Adamson. William was the son of Jesse & Jane Phillips. I have information regarding my McManness family but none from Tennessee. Maybe I will learn something new. I would be happy to correspond with you. Please click on my user name for my e-mail address and contact me privately.

Thanks again,

Mike
per page

Find a board about a specific topic