Search for content in message boards

cyril john GOODSWEN born 1819 Depwade, KIA Burma 1944

cyril john GOODSWEN born 1819 Depwade, KIA Burma 1944

Posted: 18 Apr 2013 3:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Apr 2013 12:45PM GMT
Surnames: Locke, Goodswen
Hi,
I came across a Memorial to Cyril John Goodswen over the weekend at Long Stratton Church, Norfolk. It was in the same position as Bessie Amelia Locke (nee Goodswen) and Ernest William Locke 1878-1943. He was KIA in Burma. His birth record shows born 1819 Depwade mother Goodswen, (leads me to think he was illegitimate) Upon searching I find he was KIA in Burma and according to the CCWG website was a nephew of the Mrs B A Goodswen, which would account for his memorial placed where it was.
Does anyone have him in their tree or know of his mother etc. If not then looks like I will have to invest in a Birth Certificate.
Attachments:

Re: cyril john GOODSWEN born 1819 Depwade, KIA Burma 1944

Posted: 19 Apr 2013 7:06PM GMT
Classification: Birth
Edited: 19 Apr 2013 7:45PM GMT
I presume you mean he was born in 1919, not in 1819 as you mention. He would be a bit too old to fight in the second world war if he was born in 1819. It looks as if he was illegitimate, because his mother had the maiden name of Goodswen. He could have been the child of Bessie Amelia, but known as her nephew. The birth certificate will clarify.

Name: GOODSWEN, Cyril J
Registration district: Depwade
County: Norfolk
Year of registration: 1919
Quarter of registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
Mother's maiden name: Goodswen
Volume no:[?]4B
Page no:[?]295

Re: cyril john GOODSWEN born 1819 Depwade, KIA Burma 1944

Posted: 20 Apr 2013 4:03PM GMT
Surnames: goodswen, edwards, locke
Yes the date was incorrect and should be 1919 not 1819 as I put. I also made another mistake stating Bessie Amelia was nee Goodswen, this should read nee EDWARDS, married to Ernest William Locke. I need to check details before hitting post..

Re: cyril john GOODSWEN born 1919 Depwade, KIA Burma 1944

Posted: 29 Apr 2013 4:12PM GMT
Surnames: goodswen
I have now purchased the birth certificate and it shows date of birth 9th August 1919, Long Stratton, and his mother was Edith Anna Goodswen - a domestic servant, no father listed.
Under the heading When and Where born there is some other writing, looks like
L.m 7. 3 a m Stratton St Michael R.D.
If anyone can enlighten me that would be helpful.
steve
per page

Find a board about a specific topic