Search for content in message boards

John Smith born in Lancaster, PA

John Smith born in Lancaster, PA

Posted: 30 Jun 2003 9:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Oct 2003 4:12AM GMT
Does anyone have any information on John Smith, born 1775 in Lancaster, PA to a Rev. John Smith. Thanks for any help. My email address is hofer334@hotmail.com

Re: John Smith born in Lancaster, PA

Posted: 16 Jul 2003 5:52AM GMT
Edited: 19 Aug 2003 5:23PM GMT
My ggrandfather was John W. Smith. He was born in OH in 1857. But his father was born in PA. I don't know any more about his father, may not be related.

Posted: 21 Jul 2003 5:00AM GMT
Hi Terrie: Wish that it were the same John, but I don't think so. But then again, who knows. I will let you know if I find out anymore than what I have. The John Smith that I have was born in 1775 in Lancaster, Pa. His father was said to be Rev. John Smith. Nancy

Re: John Smith Sr.born? Abt. 1720-40

Posted: 22 Jul 2003 1:42PM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Campbell, Hill, Warren, Swift, Phillips, Dickerson, Hix, Labin
Hello,
I am looking for any information on a John Smith Sr, who was born Bet. 1720-1740's. I have no idea where, but do know that he was prob. married twice. I have his last wife as Elizabeth.
I have him on census files starting in 1790 Rockingham, N.C.
Children of this John Smith Sr and Elizabeth ? were:
John Jr.
William
Drury
Arthur
Rachel
Lidia/Lydia
Smantha/Smithe
I believe most of the children where born in N.C./S.C. prior to
1780. I again have them on census Aft. 1820 in Tn.
John Smith Sr dies in 1825. Being of ill health, the previous year he wrote his will. He named the people above in his will.
He also named Richard Campbell and James Hix as his son-in-laws. Also named was Thomas Hix.

If you or anyone has information on the ancestry of this John Smith Sr, Please let me know. I descend from Samantha/Smithe Smith that married Richard Campbell's brother, William Campbell. At the time of Johns death, William wasn't mentioned in John Smiths will. So it is assumed that he William Campbell had died by 1825 writting of the will.The Smith will was proven in 1827 in Williamson Co, Tn.

Thanks,
Karen @:>)

Posted: 23 Jul 2003 7:28PM GMT
Hi Karen: I don't think that we are talking about the same John Smith. I can't believe all of the John smiths out there in this world. It sure gets confusing, and really makes it hard to find which one is which. Sorry girl, but don't give up. Nancy

Posted: 23 Jul 2003 8:30PM GMT
Thank You Anyways for answering.

Karen

Posted: 24 Jul 2003 3:16AM GMT
Your very welcome! And who knows, maybe somewhere down the line we have a connection. You just never know! Nancy

Posted: 5 Oct 2003 2:09PM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Kelly, Hix-Hicks, Labin, Campbell of N.C.>TN>Ar.
I just realized that I forgot to mwention another child of John Smith Sr. That was Simion Smith.
Son in laws were:
James Hix (Hicks)
James Kelly
Richard Campbell
William Campbell.
Grandson, Thomas Kelly?

I hope that someone has additional info on this line.
Please contact me if you do.

Karen

Posted: 24 Jan 2008 7:44PM GMT
Surnames: Smith Lingerfield
I have a Rebecca Smith, who married Michael Lingerfield in 1771 at St. James Episcopal Church. Also in that church was a John Smith, who married Anna Shellenbarger in 1770. He apparently died and Anna married Philip Kuntz/Kuhns.
I don't know if the following record is that same couple or not. There is a record in Abstracts of Lanc. Co PA deed records books RSTU which says John Smith, minister, & his wife, Anna of Bart twp; History same tract as Henry Eckman and his wife, Esther & Jacob Eckman & his wife Mary granted 30 Sept. 1769 to Godlieb Hartman. On the day before the date of these presents, Godlieb 26 Jan 1780; Michael Lingerfield and Henry Wirfel Godlieb Hartman ack. sat 29 Dec. 1783. Since my Michael Lingerfield is on this record, I thought perhaps his wife, Rebecca Smith was related to the minister John Smith.
Selma

Posted: 25 Jan 2008 2:14AM GMT
Hi Selma,

This is very interesting with the John Smith that was a minister. I could never find anything on him, so you may of broke my brick wall. I will have to think on this one really hard. My Rev. John Smith had a son by the name of John Smith that moved to West Virginia. I have a picture of his headstone. Thanks so much for posting this information.

Nancy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic