Search for content in message boards

RE: Loyalist Units: Westchester Refugees; Butler's, Roger's, Hayden's King's Rangers

RE: Loyalist Units: Westchester Refugees; Butler's, Roger's, Hayden's King's Rangers

Carol Anne Shiels (View posts)
Posted: 6 Mar 2005 6:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WILLIAMS, SYPHER/SYPES, EACHARN/ACORN;
My research seems to indicate that participation in Rev War units was for a short time period. Also the unit names changed almost as frequently as the members.

I am looking for detailed personal and military information on the following:

Capt Frederick Williams - James Delancy's Westchester Refugees/Cowboys. father in law of
Jacob Sypher/Sypes - Butler's Rangers (wife's given name unknown) and
John Eacharn/Eachorn/Acorn - Robert Roger's Kings Rangers - 3rd Battalion disbanded PEI 5/17/1782; also Samuel Hayden's Kings Rangers disbanded on PEI 6/12/1784. (Married to Eleanor Williams 1788 & settled on the Isle of St John' - now PEI)

Frederick and Jacob settled in Digby Township, Annapolis, Nova Scotia, arriving in 6/5/1783 on the ships THETIS, NICHOLAS AND JANE.

Can you advise me how to further research these individuals and their military activities? I am running out of internet options.

Many Thanks

Where to find - Loyalist Units: Westchester Refugees; Butler's, Roger's, Hayden's King's Rangers

Posted: 23 Mar 2005 8:40PM GMT
Edited: 13 Nov 2006 8:31PM GMT
What kind of detailed records do you expect to find? If they were Yankees we don't even have a complete set of names as to who served. Don't think you will have when they enlisted etc.and what color eyes they had. Things did not work that way. I do not think they were paid on a regular basis. That is the only time there was an accounting. The Loyalists records are not much better. You should feel lucky to find the names in muster roles.

You need to go to Canada. It is not far if you use the internet. In the state the DAR and the SAR are big but up there it is the UELs. They are much more web freindly than their US counterparts.

Use Google. Try Delancey not Delancy. Both are proper in the 1700s but the first will serve you better.

That is the same with Westchester Refugees the were the Westchester Chaussers. Not that anyone used that name in the 1770s but they do now.

If the Loyalists don't have much you can try the McDonald papers. That would be a great deal of work to go through that stuff.

Re: Where to find - Loyalist Units: Westchester Refugees; Butler's, Roger's, Hayden's King's Rangers

Carol Anne Shiels (View posts)
Posted: 24 Mar 2005 12:24AM GMT
Surnames: Loyalist ancesters
Pardon my ignorance, but what are the MacDonald Papers?

I was hoping to find when and where they enlisted and any data that might provide clues to their service, battles, locations etc.

You are correct in citing that the United Empire Loyalist related websites are better than those of the American Patriots.
Tracing down very little information such as a date, location, unit names or leaders can lead to understanding our ancestors. A single battle referance lead me to discover a Lt Col ancestor's monument in upstate NY. I would never have thought to look there otherwise.
Another obscure referance to a death location, which I thought was in Maine, may well be near Plattsburg, NY. The date of intestate probate - April 29,1777, Maine. Did this ancestor die during the Northern Campaign in the Revolutionary War? Only time will tell.

Re: Where to find - Loyalist Units: Westchester Refugees; Butler's, Roger's, Hayden's King's Rangers

Posted: 24 Mar 2005 3:39PM GMT
Edited: 13 Nov 2006 8:31PM GMT
You are not ignorant. The Mcdonald papers are an extreamly obscure referance. They are a collection of stories about the R-War written down circa 1830. The papers/books have never been transscribed into print. They were recopied before the typewritter. Later, they were microfilmed. There may only be two copies in existance. One in maybe in Bedford (I don't know the state). I found the other in NY. It belongs to the Westchester Hist Soc. The papers are not redily available.

Even though the content of the stories is subject to embelishment the story tellers name names. They also sometimes comment on an a character in the story as to their personality our how they looked.

I can tell you this the Refugees were mostly terrorist. Do not get me wrong. The Yankees played the same game. At night both sides slipped behind enemy lines. They usually looted someone they knew to be an enemy and had a nice horse or something else that was easily moved. Had there been recent house burnings or murder they would return the favor. New York city needed beef and the British needed horses. The main source of these were from the Loyalists. The other name for the Refugees was cowboys. They were all excellant horsemen as well as being very daring.

Myrt :) (View posts)
Posted: 3 May 2005 11:55AM GMT
DearMYRTLE, your friend in genealogy
--------------------------------------------------------

From a posting on DearMYRTLE's Message Board at RW/Ancestry:
http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/message/an/topics.methods....

DearMYRTLE,
My research seems to indicate that participation in Rev War units was for a short time period. Also the unit names changed almost as frequently as the members. Surnames: WILLIAMS, SYPHER/SYPES, EACHARN/ACORN. I am looking for detailed personal and military information on the following:

-- Capt Frederick Williams - James Delancy's Westchester Refugees/Cowboys, father-in-law of
-- Jacob Sypher/Sypes - Butler's Rangers (wife's given name unknown)
-- John Eacharn/Eachorn/Acorn - Robert Roger's Kings Rangers - 3rd Battalion disbanded PEI 5/17/1782; also Samuel Hayden's Kings Rangers disbanded on PEI 6/12/1784. (Married to Eleanor Williams 1788 & settled on the Isle of St John' - now PEI)

Frederick and Jacob settled in Digby Township, Annapolis, Nova Scotia, arriving in 6/5/1783 on the ships THETIS, NICHOLAS AND JANE.

Can you advise me how to further research these individuals and their military activities? I am running out of internet options.

DearCAROL,
"Loyalists" during and after the US Revolutionary War is a marvelous topic to research. Some did move to Canada, as you stated. Loyalists, for those who haven't heard this term before, are the folks that chose to remain true to the British Crown. They did not favor the cause of freedom espoused by the colonists in America who were frustrated by a number of things including taxation without representation in the British Parliament. They did not support the development of a new nation. Sometimes they were called "Tories." The term "Loyalists to Canada" speaks of the emigration of loyal British citizens from the rebellious colonies, to British soil in the north.

From Dictionary.com we find our word for today:

To·ry ( P ) Pronunciation Key (tôr, tr)
n. pl. To·ries

1. A member of a British political party, founded in 1689, that was the opposition party to the Whigs and has been known as the Conservative Party since about 1832.
2. A member of a Conservative Party, as in Canada.
3. An American who, during the period of the American Revolution, favored the British side. Also called Loyalist.
4. (often tory) A supporter of traditional political and social institutions against the forces of democratization or reform; a political conservative.

Your online study might include:

-- BUTLER'S RANGERS http://www.iaw.on.ca/~awoolley/brang/brang.html
I googled to locate this site which includes an annotated roll of members of the rangers.

-- CANADA RESEARCH OUTLINE (from the folks at the Family History Library in Salt Lake.)
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/RG/frameset_rhelps.as...

-- NOVA SCOTIA RESEARCH OUTLINE (from the folks at the Family History Library in Salt Lake.)

-- PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND RESEARCH OUTLINE (from the folks at the Family History Library in Salt Lake.)

-- CANADA CHAT - Maritimes & Newfoundland. Sunday, 8-9pm in the MapleLeaf Room with hosts GFSChuck & GFSJanice. http://www.genealogyforum.org

-- CANADA GENWEB http://www.rootsweb.com/~canwgw/html/e-index.html

OFFLINE RESOURCES include:
-- LOYALISTS IN THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION (CD-ROM)
http://www.genealogical.com/item_detail.asp?afid=&ID=714...
From Genealogical Publishing Company: "The term "Loyalist" is generally applied to those colonists who sided with the British during the Revolutionary War. Also called "Tories," Loyalists came from all social classes and occupations and by some estimates made up as much as one-third of the colonial population. The Loyalist cause was strongest in the southern colonies, in Georgia and the Carolinas, especially, and in the mid-Atlantic colonies, particularly New York and Pennsylvania. Sentiment against the Loyalists led to various proscriptions and restrictions, but it was the confiscation of their land and property that led to the creation--unintentionally, of course--of some of the most useful Revolutionary War-era genealogical records available today."

Of particular interest to you would be item #1, also available in book format: Loyalists and Land Settlement in Nova Scotia by Marion Gilroy.

-- THE OLD UNITED EMPIRE LOYALIST LIST, with an introduction by Milton Rubincam.
http://www.genealogical.com/item_detail.asp?afid=&ID=587...
From Genealogical Publishing Company: "The "List" contains the names of the thousands of United Empire Loyalist settlers who left the American colonies during and after the Revolutionary War and settled, first, in 1783, in what is now New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, and then, in 1784, in Upper Canada, or what is now the Province of Ontario. After the war, additional settlers came from the United States to claim the protection of the Crown, and so the "List" contains additions down to 1798, the terminal year of the Loyalist migrations. The 156-page main "List" contains the names of the heads of upwards of 5,000 Loyalist families, with such information as places of residence, military service, and family relationships. A supplementary 52-page listing contains about 2,000 additional names."

Happy family tree climbing!
Myrt :)
DearMYRTLE,
6023 26th Street West PMB 352
Bradenton, FL 34207
http://www.DearMYRTLE.com

Re: RE: Loyalist Units: Westchester Refugees; Butler's, Roger's, Hayden's King's Rangers

Posted: 11 Jan 2010 4:40AM GMT
Surnames: Williams
It's been awhile since your post but in case you are still interested and haven't seen the book - The Civil Sword, James Delancey's Westchester Refugees by Gerald R. Vincent. Your Capt Frederick WILLIAMS is mentioned.

Re: RE: Loyalist Units: Westchester Refugees; Butler's, Roger's, Hayden's King's Rangers

Posted: 18 Apr 2012 8:53PM GMT
I too have an ancester who was a loyalist and arrived in Nova Scotia on the ship "Thetis" in 1783. On line you can go to the provincial Archives for Canada thruough this site:
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/genealogy/022-909-e.html
you may be able to find someting about your relatives there and if you contact them you can get copies of some information
orit may give you enough to continue. most loyalists that went to Canada had land grants for property. If you know where they
settled. the people are very nice and try to be helpful. I found my ancester's trip and it gave a reference and page no . I have the provincial archives checking it for me now.
Good luck in your search.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions