Search for content in message boards

Tilley Baptist Church Cemetery Fannin Co., GA

Tilley Baptist Church Cemetery Fannin Co., GA

Posted: 12 Mar 2010 10:03PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Surnames: Tilley, Davenport, Long, Free, Ray, Weeks, Foster, McBrayer, Howell
I was recently at the Tilley Baptist Church Cemetery taking photos of ancestors on my husbands side, names such as, Tilley, Long, Davenport, Free, Ray, Bradley, ect. I came across an Elizabeth Jane Bradley (maiden name is Tilley) born Feb. 28, 1846 and died Oct. 26, 1906. She is the daughter of Tillman and Prudence Tilley and married Jason R. Bradley. Just a few feet in front of her marker is another marker for a Mary Tilley Bradley. She has the same birth and death date as Elizabeth. I have searched censuses and trees and cannot find any thing on this women. If any one could give me any info. on this women I would greatly appriciate it.

Cheryl Traylor

Re: Tilley Baptist Church Cemetery Fannin Co., GA

Posted: 15 Jul 2012 5:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
Cheryl, my name is Jack Stanley. I'm not sure if you have collected any info to this inquiry, but I will share the info I have. First I will tell you the story that most people tell, then I will tell you the facts I know.
First the story... Around 1900 the Tilley and the Stanley families were having a fued. One sunday during services, a group of the Stanley's came to the church and started shooting into the church, killing several of the Tilley's. not to be outdone the tilley clan went into Stanley gap and killed several of the stanley's. The story goes that Elizabeth Jane was an indian witch and was so angry with the killing that she placed a curse on the church that there would be no babies born alive. This is the reason there are so many unmarked baby graves there. the babies died for many years and in 1906 the congregation hanged Elizabeth Jane from the tree she is buried under Because they thought she was a witch she was buried facing west. the babies continued to die and exactly one year later they hanged Mary, who was her sister in law. all of these stories can be googled at Tilley Bend Church.
the Facts....As you know she was the daughter of Tighlman Tilley and Prudence Pressley. Benjamim Tilley who founded the church, was her brother.She married Jason Riley Bradley (1849-1933) their children were Julia Ann 1869-1943,Altha Modena 1871-1945,Deccie 1871-1941, Sylvanus M. 1873-1943,Sarah C. 1874, Ellender 1876, Martha J. 1878, David Samuel 1886-1952, and Aleva 1890.
Strange fact is there are only 3 tilley's burried there. Benjamin Tilley who founded the church is buried in Ellijay.It is also true that Elizabeth Janes grave is facing west Rather than the east which is customary. The origional structure before it was renovated did have holes in the front and in the doors that my Grandmother said was bullet holes. I have photos of the origional structure. I also remember the dirt floor and the split log pews, and the photo of Benjamin Tilley who is my gg grandfather. I am related to the Stanley, Hughes, Garland, bradley, underwood, kendall and long families, and would be glad to share any info I have. Jack

Posted: 17 Oct 2012 4:05AM GMT
Absolutely spell binding story! (yes pun intended) There is a video walk thru of the grave yard posted on one of the returns when you do the google search for Tilley Bend Church.

It shows a clear pics of the headstones of two women mentioned, plus a good many more.......I watched carefully since I am searching for a Hise/Hice grave that could be in Fannin.
-Fran

Posted: 17 Oct 2012 3:13PM GMT
Edited: 17 Oct 2012 3:14PM GMT
There are 18 Hice graves recorded in Fannin County. Please let me know who you are looking for and I can give you the burial location. Jack

Posted: 17 Oct 2012 3:46PM GMT
Thanks so much!
My Great Great Grandfather was George W. (or H) Hise/ Hice b. 1831 in NC. (might have had another 'first' name, even)

He is in Paulding county Ga. in the 1850 census, but disappears by 1855, when his wife Nancy remarries in Fannin county. I have not yet found a gravesite in Paulding, they could have moved to Fannin before he died, so might be buried there.

I may well be related to a few of those other Hices as well.
-Fran

Posted: 17 Oct 2012 4:06PM GMT
Fran, there is a G.H. Hice (1840-1912) listed at the Hipps Chappel Church Cemetary. There is also a George Hice listed at the same place with no dates. The information I have is from a book of Fannin County Cemetary Listing, written by Dale Dyer and Ethelene Jones. Of the 18 listed Hice in Fannin County, they are listed in only 3 cemetaries,
Mt. Morriah Baptist Church
Hipps Chappel Church Cemetary
Sugar Creek Baptist Church

I have also used Findagrave.com. It is a good source for locating graves and somethimes family information, especially if you know the name of the cemetary.

Hope this information helps, Jack

Posted: 17 Oct 2012 7:22PM GMT
Thanks again!

The George with no dates sounds very interesting....specially if he is not buried with a wife. I have been wanting to pay a visit to the Hipps Chappel Cemetary, as that name has turned up before in my searching for Hice burials.

Years ago, I tagged along with my Aunts to one or more of those cemeteries when I was about 10, and absolutely NOT interested in the markers they were looking for. I do recall that they were somewhat excited at what they found, but none of their letters or notes say anything about who's grave they might have discovered/visited on that trip.

I have used the Findagrave for other relatives with some success....may need to spend some time just trying different cemeteries till I get some hits...Thanks again!
-Fran

Posted: 17 Oct 2012 7:56PM GMT
the other Hice listed at that cemetary are
Annie, Baby,Buddy, Emma,Posey,Pricilla, Robert, and Sarah. all listed with no dates.

I have used finda grave many times, Some families list a lot of family information as well.

You can google each county and get a list of cemetaries.

Good luck, Jack

Posted: 17 Oct 2012 8:06PM GMT
Thank you for these stories.I think you and I are related.

Posted: 17 Oct 2012 9:13PM GMT
I am related to the Longs, Tilleys, Hughes, Stanleys and Garlands. Who do you think connects us? Do you have a public tree?

I love finding out about my family and love meeting new relatives. And I am like you, I should have paid attention to these stories when I was young.

Jack
per page

Find a board about a specific topic