Search for content in message boards

Finding Lenoir County Civil War Soldier Records

Finding Lenoir County Civil War Soldier Records

Posted: 12 Jul 2012 2:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Curtis Tindal, or Tindall
I recently found out my third great grandfather was Killed August 29th, 1861 in the battle at Ft. Hatteras. I am wanting to find out some geneoligical information on him because I don't know his father and mother were, although I have a pretty good speculation. I have found a copy of his wifes widow pension but I'm wanting to know where I can locate other information on him and what I can hope to typically find. I'm looking for something that might show who his mother and father are. I've sent a request to National Archives but not sure that will turn up anything. and I've also contacted the museum up at Cape Hatteras about it because I know they have some Civil war historians up there.

Re: Finding Lenoir County Civil War Soldier Records

Posted: 12 Jul 2012 11:08AM GMT
If your soldier died after 1913 there should be a death certificate for him and his parents name should be on that, that is how we found our link. Good Luck

Posted: 13 Jul 2012 11:57PM GMT
I'm finding out he joined the Civil war on June 1961 and was killed August 29th of 1961 in Hatteras. I've found his service record cards and also a copy of his widow's pension but I'm not finding anything that goes beoynd this and I haven't been able to link him with his parents. Which I am greatful I've been able to find what I have because myself, Father, and grandfather was not aware of him even joining or getting killed in the war so this is a great find for us, and sad at same time, due to the fact that my 2nd Great Grandfather lost his life when he was 1 years old.

Posted: 14 Jul 2012 7:18AM GMT
Surnames: Grant, Dickerson, Dickenson, Bright
I think on this last post you meant Aug. 29, 1861
What is the surname, and was he a Confederate or Union? Do you know a Unit #.
I'll help if I can or maybe with the above information, someone in the group could assist you more

Posted: 29 Jul 2012 2:30AM GMT
He was in the 40th Infantry I've located his Service Records and also his wifes Widow's pension but I haven't had any luck finding information on his parents at all. Looks Like he joined in June of 1861 and was killed in august of 1861 at the Battle of Ft. Hatteras. Kinda bugging me because this is the Line I get my Surname from and really was hoping to get farther back than this. His name was Curtis Tindal and wifes name is Margeret Ann Tindal and is known as Peggie in some Census's and on Some of the Widow's information.

Posted: 29 Jul 2012 2:31AM GMT
He was in the 40th Infantry I've located his Service Records and also his wifes Widow's pension but I haven't had any luck finding information on his parents at all. Looks Like he joined in June of 1861 and was killed in august of 1861 at the Battle of Ft. Hatteras. Kinda bugging me because this is the Line I get my Surname from and really was hoping to get farther back than this. His name was Curtis Tindal and wifes name is Margeret Ann Tindal and is known as Peggie in some Census's and on Some of the Widow's information.

Posted: 29 Jul 2012 4:37AM GMT
Surnames: Tindale
Could it be possible John Tindale born 1813/14 in SC?

Census states that John Tindale was born in South Carolina about 1813/14.

1850:Fayetteville, Cumberland, North Carolina
Name Age
John Tindale 37 born SC
Anne Tindale 36
James Tindale 11
Anne Tindale 9
Curtis Tindale 5
John F Tindale 3
Penny O Tindale 1

1860 Trent, Lenoir Co, NC
John Tindal 48
Ann 38
Lany 18
Curtis 16
John 12
Henry 9
Charles 5

1870:Trent, Lenoir, North Carolina
Name Age
John Tindel 63
Elley Tindel 49
Phebe Tindel 3
Lannie Tindel 28
Curtis Tindel 26
Lewis Tindel 3
Pennie Tindel 20

1880: Pink Hill, Lenoir, North Carolina
Name Age
Curtis Tindal 35
Penelopy Tindal 30 the name Peggy could be aka for Pennelope
Egbert Tindal 11
Idy Tindal 9
Kincy Tindal 6
Tindal 2

JB
cpzb4@aol.com

Posted: 29 Jul 2012 5:34AM GMT
How old was he when he died? How about his wife.Where did you find his service record and her pension info?

Posted: 29 Jul 2012 1:52PM GMT
John Tindale could deffinatly be possibly related but the dates aren't matching up to be my Curtis's father. the information I have show's Margeret Being 49 When she applied for his widow's pension in 1865 I'm thing my Curtis was born appx 1817. I've seen some people having his Father as James Tindal b.1780 but I haven't been able to find a Census that link's them together or anything that links James to Curtis.

Posted: 29 Jul 2012 1:56PM GMT
Edited: 29 Jul 2012 9:10PM GMT
My GGGF was Curtis's Son he was born in 1860, His name was Jeff Curtis I've got the documention all the way back to him but nothing behind him. I can find him and Margeret in the 1860 Census and from the 1870 and on he is gone only Margeret "Peggie" Ann Tindal and the children, Jefferson Curtis, and Caty. I have also found somepaper work of where curtis worked some for Issac stroud and peggy later married William Isler Taylor later on after 1900 which he was one of Issac Stroud's son.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions