Search for content in message boards

How do you go about finding where somone is buried?

How do you go about finding where somone is buried?

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 2:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Dec 2012 3:23PM GMT
It would be lovely to visit family graves and see if there are further details on the grave, but also just to pay my respects.
How do you (in general) go about finding where someone is buried please?
Such as the church, plot etc?
All i have is the death record.

Re: How do you go about finding where somone is buried?

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 5:08PM GMT
Edited: 1 Dec 2012 3:23PM GMT
Hi there

If you have the death certificate it will state the place of death, and who the informant was. (May have been a family member or neighbour). Start in the area of the death, and enquire with the local council. If it was a burial or cremation in a public cemetery/crematorium, the council may have records. There should be newspaper archives at the local library which would have carried an obituary notice/funeral details. Remember burials in the 1890s/1900's would often take place within 2 or 3 days of the death, so that would narrow down a burial date for you.

Hope this helps
Sue Thompson, Liverpool

Posted: 1 Dec 2012 5:36PM GMT
I would do as previous poster advised about the death cert but then contact the Superintendant at local cemeteries/crems (look up on google/yellow pages etc) - they are usually very helpful

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 12:19AM GMT
I had a very hard time finding where my Great-Great Grandparents and Family were buried last year. After searching the cemetery records at the County Library (where they died), I actually went on findagrave.com. Now,they weren't on there, but I found some relatives that I had not found previously. I had basically hit a brick wall in finding my family, so I ended up doing a general internet search and what do you know...the USGenWeb had written a survey report of the cemetery and where it was located. Many ancestors aren't buried in cemeteries, etc..and there are many survey reports of old cemeteries that are on private land that list the names of the buried there. Hope this helps!

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 9:45PM GMT
One thing that is important to remember is that with older graves, especially in cemeteries which for any reason were neglected, although the grave will be registered and/or numbered it is quite possible it is simply no longer to be seen. I enquired about my grandmother and eldest sister who were buried in the same grave and was given a plan of the original burial layout but when I investigated it, because it had been seriously neglected in the past when they tidied it up they just put the remaining gravestones round the edge, laid the main part to lawn and turned it into a sort of memorial garden - no real trace of the grave and if ever there had been a gravestone it was long since gone. Better not to have too high hopes - although you could be lucky.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions