Kent Family Genealogy
Descendents of Steve Kent
Birl Randolph Brown, Sr.Ko4qk@bellsouth.net
From: History of Schley County by Mrs. H. J. Williams Item #3190 of
Ladson Genealogical Library P. O. Box 368 - Vidalia, Ga. 30474...
Note: Schley was created from MARION and SUMTER counties on Dec. 22, 1857
The history of Schley county is redolent with time honored memories. At the close of the revolutionary war, July 4, 1776, this county was a vast wilderness where indians roamed almost uncivilized, subsisting on wild game, potatoes and corn which were cultivated in small patches. At that time there were many Creek, a few Seminole and Cherokee Indians living here.
In 1808, several families moved into this section from the Carolinas. These red men were kind to the new settlers and helped them clear the land, cultivate the soil and build homes. They settled on a line near where the cemetery is now located, and which was then almost entirely surrounded by ponds.
Within a mile from where the county court house now stands, a village sprang up about 1812, called Pond Town. This became a relay station for the stage coach line which ran by Hamburg, Pond Town and Preston. It crossed Flint river at Traveller's Rest, a few miles below Oglethorpe. From Pond Town to Tallahassee, Fla. there was an Indian trail much used by the Indians. This highway was known as the Hawthorne Trail.
Running due east from Pond Town, a road was cut, extending to the confluence of Camp and Totover creek. On this road several families settled in 1808 and 1809. Six miles east of Pond Town, Isaac Eubanks settled in 1808, Robert English in 1808, James Hargrove in 1809, Morgan Hall settled in 1816, Quilla Dyess in 1814; John Draper settled in 1809, John Hargrove settled in 1824, Dan Driver Sr., William Reid, Johnny Walker, Blanton Stewart, and Dan Kilcrease settled in 1827, J. J. West in 1830, Robert Burton in 1831; Mr Aileywine, Goodman Dixon, Jasper Holman, Sr., James Handley, Bennett Stewart and Moses Brewer settled in 1828, Mr. Cottle settled in 1829; Bob Pilcher, William Marshall, Mr. Womack, Jimpsey Hunter, W. A. Black and J. A. Owen settled in 1830. James Outlaw settled in 1832, Stephen Kent settled in 1833. Living in this section prior to 1844 were: William Grantham, James Powell, Fred Sims, Shade Bivins, Major Tondee, Austin Congleton, Tom Baisden, Simpson Edge, Mose and Pizarro Tyson, Barney Varnadoe, Richard Warren, Tom McGarity, Tom Wimbush, Mr. McFarland, C. L. Battle, the McElmurrays, Dan Morrison, John Morrison, James Gilmore, the Sellerses, Sam Hart, Redick Perry, John Respess, Sr., Marston Holloway, Joseph Mott, Major Black, A. Askew, John Walker, the Myricks, and others.
It is worthy of note that in the year 1809, Morgan Reubin Rainey from Virginia bought from the Indians the land on which the City of Ellaville now stands.
From 1844 to 1856 many new settlers came from northern and central Georgia and from South Carolina. Thus this territory was rapidly changed from a dense forest to a splendid agricultural community. Negro slaves were brought from the New England states, and sold to the landlords. The land was cleared and great fields of cotton, corn and other farm products were planted.
Elegant homes were erected by the wealthier classes and, in the background, rows and rows of small houses were built, which were termed "negro quarters." These were occupied by the slaves who knew little else but to obey "Ole Marsters" will. Always ready to serve, some of them were real heroes; others were insolent, hard to control, and almost unapproachable. For the most part the white settlers were kind to the slaves, clothed and fed them, and allowed them to worship with them in their churches.
Thus Pond Town and this section grew until 1857, when out of it a county was formed...."
Note: The present court house for Schley County at Ellaville, Ga. was constructed by our Grandfather, Stephen Simpson Kent.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------From: History of Schley county, Ga. (ibid.)
"County Line Methodist Church
County Line Methodist was first built in the 1880's about 2 miles from where it now stands, on what was known as the Old Scarbrough Place. Rev. Henry Scarbrough and his wife Hulda gave this land to the church, so named because of being on the lines of Lee, Marion and Macon Counties.
This building was a wooden structure located near the home of Henry Scarbrough. There are still remains of a cemetery at this site.
During the early years of the church, men gathered for squirrel hunts and the ladies would meet at the church to have squrrel dinners.
Trustees of of this church and their wives were: S. R Halstead (Martha Cutler); G.W. Tison (Rebecca Childers); Steve Kent (Frances Outler); Rev. W. W. Cheney (Sara Hudson); John Hudson (Amanda Steward)
Some of the families beginning this church were: Scarbrough, Childers, Kent, Holloway, Tison, Halstead, Cheney, and Hudson.
In 1873 Harrison Holloway and his wife, Cynthia Kent, gave the land on which the church now stands. The first church built here was a wooden building and was not ceiled. Tallow candles were used on shelves around the church for light. A cross was suspended from the ceiling with a candle on each end of the cross. An organ was put there in 1890. The benches were solid plank bottom and 2 x 4 blocks. The song books had words but no music.
The Warren McMath's infant daughter was the first one buried in the cemetery.
Prominent families in the church were: Roake, McCorke, Grantham, Sisum, Lumpkin, Holloway, and McMath.
In 1891 County Line was the site of a Sunday School Convention. For this occasion thirty hogs were bar-be-qued.
In 1892 the church was remodeled under the supervision of Warren McMath. Two single doors on each side were added, and the benches were replaced by slatted ones.
Out of this church came the following preachers: John Hudson, Perry Holloway, W. W. Cheney, and Leonard Freeman.
During the years 1904 to 1914, County Line was on the Ellaville Charge. In 1911 John McElheney organized a Sunday School. This was revived in 1928 by Leonard Freeman. Until 1923 Sunday and Saturday services were held at the church. Sara Peters was noted for her regular attendance, although she walked 4 miles from home to church.
Large double doors were installed in 1931 and cement steps replaced the wooden ones. The year 1953 brought forth great interest. A Sunday School was again organized by Leo Williams, Ernest Heath, and Rev. Joe Lanier. Mrs. Leo Williams started an MYF for the youth of the church.
A building composed of Leo Williams, Ernest Heath, Johnny McMath, and George McLendon was elected in 1954. A concrete block church was finished and dedicated on June 25,1955. Claude J. Hougabook was pastor at that time.
Homecoming was started in 1956 by some of the older members wanting to gather to talk over old times and sing. They called this a class reunion. In 1958 it was changed to Homecoming and has met on the fourth Sunday in October since.
In 1959 plans were made for an addition to the church. With help from friends, and working together, the old Harrison Holloway house was bought and a shelter was completed in 1960. This building was finished as a kitchen and dining area.
1960-1962 pancake suppers and fish fries replaced the squirrel suppers as a way of making money. A well and pump were installed in 1062 by W. B. Autry."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------"Jourdain Holloway seems to be the ancester of the Holloways of Schley county. Records indicate that Jourdain Holloway was perhaps from Virginia. Born about 1774 and died 22 February, 1862 in Edgefield county, S. C. It is believed that he married a woman named Mary from Edgefield county.
Mastin Holloway seems to have been the son of Jourdain. Mastin (later Maston or perhaps even Martin) is thought to have been from Edgefield county, S. C., born around 1792, and believed to have been married to a woman also named Mary also from Edgefield county.
Harrison H. Holloway was a son of Mastin. Simpson Jourdain Holloway was also Mastin's son. Harrison was born about 1828(29 October) and died May 12, 1912. He is buried in County Line Methodist Church cemetary in Schley county. He was married September 20, 1855 to Cynthia ("Sinthey") Ann Kent (dates on graves and dates on census records often do not coincide. Also, pieces of information from various sources often do not match, but are sometimes only a few years different.)...Harrison Holloway was reported to have served in Co. B, 17th Regiment, Army of Northern Virginia, Schley Volunteers. He was listed as a Private on 14 August 1861. He was reported wounded in 1864, listed on the rolls as "on wounded furlough: on 28 February 1865. Records quote, "Toombs men were reinforced by the 15th and 17th from Georgia." This was in Maryland, the battle of Anteitem, "one of the bloodiest of the Civil War."
Harrison purchased land in Schley county as early as 1858 in what is now the County Line Area of Schley county. He gave five acres on 24 January, 1873, on which the County Line Methodist Church was built. Trustees of the church at that time were: S. R. Halstead, C. W. Tison, Steve Kent, W.W. Cheney, and John Hudson.
Harrison bought some 300+ acres in 1858 from Elias Hodges. This land included lot No. 129 and the east half of lot No. 130.
He purchased another half lot (100 1/4 acres) in 1869 for $1,230.00 from Joseph Mott, administrator of the Isaac Eubanks estate....