Search for content in message boards

Elizabeth Gilreath

Elizabeth Gilreath

Keith Hood (View posts)
Posted: 26 Oct 2002 9:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gilreaths, Passmore, Kilgore
Am looking for any informatin that someone might can give me in regards to Elizabeth Gilreath. I am told that my great great great grandmother Elizabeth married a Marion Passmore possibly in north GA. I know Marion was from NC, but I'm not sure if Elizabeth was from GA or NC.

Re: Elizabeth Gilreath

Posted: 27 Oct 2002 11:26AM GMT
Edited: 21 Apr 2003 12:56PM GMT
Sorenia Elizabeth Gilreath & Marion Passmore were married in Clay County, NC on Jul 28, 1872. Elizabeth, born in Union County, GA on Mar 6, 1853, was a daughter of Greenwood A. & Martha Rebecca (Duncan) Gilreath.

Both Green & Rebecca were born in Wilkes County, NC during 1821, married in 1843 and had migrated in 1845 to Union County, GA. In March 1862, Green and his second oldest son, Noah, enlisted in Co. "E", 52nd, GA. Shortly after the Battle of Perryville, KY, both Green & Noah died (@ Oct 1862) of disease.

In the 1890s, Rebecca began filing for a widow's pension based on Green's service in the Civil War. Rebecca last filed her annual pension request while living with her daughter, Elizabeth Passmore, in Dawson County, GA during 1907.

Rebecca's parents were Jonathan & Sarah (Shin) Duncan and also migrated to Union County. Jonathan, born @ 1790, had served in the War of 1812 and died in Union County on August 19, 1875.

Green's father, Jeremiah Gilreath, had also been born in Wilkes County @ 1786. Like Green, Jeremiah, his wife, two other sons and at least one daughter migrated to Union County. Jeremiah died in 1849.

Jeremiah's parents were Alexander & Elizabeth (Souther) Gilreath. Elizabeth was born in March 1862 in Culpepper County, VA, a daughter of Stepehen and Mary Souther.

Alexander was born on November 17, 1755 in Granville (now Warren) County, VA. Alexander moved to Wilkes County during the late 1870s where he served as a Sergeant during the Revolution. Alexander and Elizabeth were married in Wilkes County on June 7, 1871. Alexander filed for a pension in 1832, based on his service in the Revolution. Alexander died in Nov 1853, just a few says short of his 98th birthday.

Alexander's father was William Gilreath. William was born @ 1725, is first listed on the Granville County militia in November 1754 (outset of the French Indian War). William moved to Wilkes County in the late summer or fall of 1779 and remained there until early 1787. William's last move was to Newberry County, SC where his will, written in 1794, was filed in 1795.

The above is only a brief outline of the lineage of Elizabeth. Would appreciate any information you may have on the offspring of Marion and Elizabeth. I have the names of 10 children but there may well have been more.

Posted: 1 Nov 2002 6:19PM GMT
Surnames: Gilreath, Hutson, Hoyt-Hoyle, Bradley, Robinson, Levingston
I'm looking for documented information on the birth of Elizabeth Melinda Gilreath born 7 Aug 1829, in Whitley Co., Kentucky. Some say she was born in 1831. She died 18 may 1879 in Edgar Co., Illinois. Her parents were William Barton Gilreath and Dorcas Tabitha Hoyt or Hoyle. She married Daniel Harmon Hutson, 24 Feb 1851, in Martin Co. Indiana. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Please e-mail me at ecjunt@aol.com

Gayle "JEAN"

Posted: 2 Nov 2002 3:48AM GMT
Edited: 21 Apr 2003 12:56PM GMT
I tried to send an email directly to you but had no success. The following information was contained in my attempted message.

The one person that is best informed on the entire family that you are researching is Cathea Curry. Cathea descends from this same line and has done extensive research over a long period of time. Cathea's email address is:

CatheaC@aol.com

By the way, Cathea can provide you with proof of the maiden name (Holt) for Elizabeth's mother, Dorcas. Cathea also has a copy of Barton's estate settlement in Martin County, IN. After the death of Wm. Barton, Dorcas remarried. Dorcas and her new husband also moved to Edgar County, IL.

In addition, Cathea has an entire list of Elizabeth's siblings and their marriages. Most were married in Martin County (1 male, five females) but two of the younger sisters were married after the families arrival in Illinois. One sister, Hannah, never married.

Would appreciate learning if you can contact Cathea and news of any success.

Melvin

Keith Hood (View posts)
Posted: 25 Dec 2002 10:27PM GMT
Surnames: Passmore
I do not have much information on the 10 children. I only have a few names that I know about. Of some of the children--Fultan resided in North Ga. I am actually double kin with the sisters--Axie or Exie and Nellie.

Axie or Exie married Cliff Hood and they had 5 children. Junior, Thomas, Johnny, Ethel, and Hubert. At this point all are deceased expect Johnny--I have all information on them.

Nellie married a Bradshaw and had 2 girls--Cammie and Lois. She then later married a Murrell and had several more children. That information is also available if needed.

What can you tell me about the 10 kids of Elizabeth and Marion?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions