Search for content in message boards

Searching for VanCLEAVE Family History

Searching for VanCLEAVE Family History

Posted: 6 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Jan 2007 3:09PM GMT
Surnames: VanCleave, VanCleve, VanCleef
I am interested in contacting anyone with information about the VanCleave history.

Jesse James C. VanCleave: wife Sarah ANDERSON

Posted: 8 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 19 Jan 2007 3:10PM GMT
Surnames: Anderson, VanCleave
I believe Jesse is the son of David and Rachel (VanSwearingen) VanCleave. Our records indicate that Jesse was born 11 Sept 1832 and died 10 Oct 1908. He married a Sarah Anderson on 3 Mar 1859. He was the 14th child of this union, there being 16 in all. I would like to visit with anyone with information about the VanCleave family.

Re: VanCLEVE Family -- Roswell A. VanCLEVE

Posted: 17 Jan 2007 2:30PM GMT
Edited: 19 Jan 2007 3:14PM GMT
Surnames: VanCleve, VanCleave
I am interested in any information on the VanCleave's. My Grandfather was Roswell Archilliaus VanCleve, Johnson Co. Illinois. I have access to the courthouse and would be willing to look up any info.
ggggrfather-Rev. Wilson Frost VanCleve
gggrfather-William Roswell VanCleve
ggrfather-William Enos VanCleve
grfather-Roswell A. VanCleve
Mother-Verla VanCleve
Thank, L. Copeland

Re: Searching for VanCLEAVE Family History

Posted: 6 Feb 2010 3:47AM GMT
MY GRANDFATHER WAS JOHN VANCLEAVE.HE MARRIED LOIS MAXWELL,THEY HAD 6 CHILDREN,NANCY,DAVE,BETTY,MARGRETTE,MARY AND JUDY.MY GRANDFATHER PASSED IN THE 70'S.

Posted: 7 May 2011 1:49AM GMT
MATTHIAS MOUNT VAN CLEAVE
ACCOUNT OF HIS GRANDFATHER
BENJAMIN VAN CLEAVE

Crawfordsville

M. M. Van Cleave was born in Shelby County Kentucky in the year of our lord 1810. My grandfather’s name was Benjamin my grandmother’s given name was Ruth. My mothers fathers name was Matthias Mount his wife was Elizabeth. My grandfather Van Cleave was from New Jersey and settled with Daniel Boone in Boonesboro in Kentucky and he and his family went though all the hard ships of the settling of Kentucky my grandfather Mount was from old Virginia. My mother was born near Lexington Kentucky. My grandparents were all members of the Presbyterian Church and war Elders of that church were highly respected for their morals and upright and religious life they lived. Their families consisted of quite a number of boys and girls. My grandfather Van Cleaves oldest son name was Aaron next John next Samuel next Ralph next Benjamin next William. William was drum Major under General Jackson at the battle at Orleans after the battle was over he took sick and died and never got home. My Uncle Samuel was taken prisoner with the Indians. This was long before the battle at New Orleans. This was soon after my grandfather left Boonesboro and went into a settlement on a creek called Bullskin. This creek was named by Daniel Boone and my grandfather Van Cleave from the circumstance of killing a buffalo bull on the bank of the creek and slept under the hide for a shelter for the night. In the morning Boone ask Van Cleave what they should call this creek. His answer was Bullskin as we slept under the skin of a buffalo bull on this creek. My grandfather settled and all of his family together with others which made a quite settlement. There they fortified themselves against the Indians having their houses strong and portholes to shoot out of the house at the enemy when attacked. Some of the family would watch while others would sleep also some stand guard while others would work. The Indians became very troublesome not only in killing our people but steeling their horses. So my grandfather called together his neighbors to repair his stabling. While at work they lacked one pole. So my uncle Samuel took with him a young man that was working for him. They went to the nearest timber to get this pole which was across a small field on a branch that ran into the creek. Near this branch they cut a small sapling. It lodged in the grapevines. They laid down their axes to pull the bush down when six large Indians who was in ambush surrounded them. The young man began to fight. Van Cleave under took to run and get away but could not for the Indians got between him and the fence so he could not get through the fence. The Indians threw a tomahawk and struck him on the head and knocked him down and jumped upon him and drew his tomahawk when another Indian gave sign for him to get up. So he did. At that moment the young man was killed and scalped. The men at the house just discovered them pressing of Samuel Van Cleave two of them having hold of him.

Posted: 8 May 2011 4:02PM GMT
I've done a bunch of my family tree, but I'm stuck on the Van Cleave side of my family. I just can't seem to find that ONE birth certificate or the marriage certificate that I'm looking for.

Vancleave's in NW Tennessee -- Re: Searching for VanCLEAVE Family History

Posted: 23 May 2011 3:44AM GMT
Surnames: Vancleave, Beavers, Lock
I am looking for descendents of James Vancleave of Sharon Station, Weakley County, Tennessee in the late 1800s and early 1900s. His youngest daughter Mattie (wife of G. W.(George?) Beavers) fell on hard times shortly before WWI and her 3 children became wards of the court in Jackson (Madison County), Tennessee. In the court records she is listed as Mrs. Mattie Lock.

Little more is known of twins Elmer and Almer (Vancleave) Beavers (b. 1908), but my grandfather Wade Vancleave (b.c., 1913) was sent to an orphanage in Nashville and adopted in 1919. His name was changed to James Wade Hunter.

I have been told that Mattie and other Vancleave family members moved to Flint, MI, to work for General Motors. Perhaps, she lived out her later life near Reelfoot Lake (Lake County, TN).

Any info would be appreciated.

Lori Hunter Tigert

Posted: 20 Mar 2012 6:16PM GMT
i am related to Jim VanCleave. his son William Van Cleave is my great grand father. William VanCleave married Sarah Octavia Connell in Weakley County Tenn .the second youngest daughter between William & Sarah was Viola VanCleave born 1908 in Sharon,Tenn .Viola was my grandmother and she was married 1st to Carmie Sylvester Sigman , this union bore 5 children , 3 dau's and 2 sons. the eldest son being my father James Edward Sigman .

Re: Jesse James C. VanCleave: wife Sarah ANDERSON

Posted: 25 Jun 2012 11:56PM GMT
Surnames: Vancleave, Jolly, Swearingen, Watts
My great-grandmother was Mathilda Hester Ann Vancleave, a daughter of David and Rachel Swearingen Vancleave. She and her first husband, John Lowery Jolly, were the parents of my grandmother, Malinda Percy Jolly. My dad was the youngest child of Malinda and her husband, William Parker Watts.

Re: Jesse James C. VanCleave: wife Sarah ANDERSON

Posted: 25 Jun 2012 11:57PM GMT
Surnames: Vancleave, Jolly, Swearingen, Watts
My great-grandmother was Mathilda Hester Ann Vancleave, a daughter of David and Rachel Swearingen Vancleave. She and her first husband, John Lowery Jolly, were the parents of my grandmother, Malinda Percy Jolly. My dad was the youngest child of Malinda and her husband, William Parker Watts.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic