Search for content in message boards

USHMM – Poland, Lòdz Ghetto Register Books

USHMM – Poland, Lòdz Ghetto Register Books

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 8:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Please post your questions about this project as a reply to this message.

Happy keying!

Re: USHMM – Poland, Lòdz Ghetto Register Books

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 9:40PM GMT
I would love to have had the present Lodz records finished before we start on a new Lodz project.
Patricia

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 11:36PM GMT
Hi Anna

I cannot see this project to key in the list.

Diane

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 3:13AM GMT
It's possibly a bit sooner than it should've been, but with the now-usual delayed start to reviewing for a new project, in theory, reviewers can finish off the previous project while keyers who like working on Lodz projects can get started on the next one. (In practice? Reviewers often want to key a new project a bit themselves before reviewing to build up familiarity, so between that and needing to take time to plow through the remaining review sets, hello instant backlog.)

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 5:41AM GMT
Diane,
I am double checking now and will reset it so you should see it soon.

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 6:17AM GMT
Good points.

The main reason we delay the review image sets is so that there are a few days for questions to be cleared up. A second reason is to allow reviewers to be comfortable keying before review image sets are available.

If you are still not seeing the project please let me know. I reset the project so they should be showing up now.

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 9:29AM GMT
I just had a look at the new project. Whih is the deportation date. The first date in "Bemerkungen"?

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 4:16PM GMT
Edited: 19 Jan 2013 4:58PM GMT
On the image I'm keying at the moment, the Geschlecht column is subdivided into two columns headed m and w and the gender is indicated by a diagonal line being drawn through one or other of these. (i.e. if the diagonal line is in the m column the person is male and if in the w column they are female.) Not really a question, just an observation.

But I do have some questions

- The occupation for one of the women is Arbeiterin and then the occupation is dittoed for the two men on the lines following her - should I key their occupations as Arbeiterin even though that is the female version of the word, or would I key it as Arbeiter?

- On one image the current address at the top of the image is Franz-strasse Str Nr 2/4. (Yes, they have written in strasse as part of the street name although Str is pre-printed on the form.) On another image, the current address at the top of the image is Franzstrasse Str Nr 8 (Rubensstr 11). What do I key for the Current Address field in these two instances, please?

- If I understand correctly, "Mädchenname oder Name des Mannes" means "Maiden name or husband's surname" so this field should not really be called "Maiden name".

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 8:33PM GMT
Hi, having a hard time trying to figure out what the words are to key in..example the previous address looks like Kirchpluz 4/4. Is there a handwriting key to go by? I know I'm going have some trouble figuring out how to spell the names and addresses, etc.

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 11:08PM GMT
I just tried this. Nearly every first name, even the usual common ones, like Estera and Chana have to be F7ed. Also common last names such as Horowicz. This will slow down the keying.
In the Bemerkungen it is difficult to understand. Often Ausg tr has a roman numeral by it such as VIII or III which does not seem to be the date but may be the number of a deportation transport. How should these be keyed?
Some of the professions (Beruf) are not understandable.
As usual I am keying the crossed out names but it does make then difficult to read.
Patricia
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions