Search for content in message boards

Jacob A. Hartsfield 1822-1875

Jacob A. Hartsfield 1822-1875

Posted: 7 Aug 2012 7:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: hartsfield
Can anyone tell me the age of DR. J A Hartsfield's home just north of the airport and if he's the builder of the home? I'm trying to trace back the property it's on to an early grant.

Re: Jacob A. Hartsfield 1822-1875

Posted: 7 Aug 2012 7:58PM GMT
I think it's also known as the Taylor House.

Posted: 8 Aug 2012 6:49PM GMT
According to "Coastal Plain & Fancy: The Historic Architecture of Lanoir County and Kinston, North Carolina" by M. Ruth Little (p. 338), the original house was believed to be built in 1812 with enlargements made along the years. My relative, Rebecca W Pope was married to Dr. Jacob Hartsfield and inherited the house and farm after his death. She later married Daniel Kornegay. Mr Kornegay also predeceased Rebecca and when she died in 1896, she was buried with her 1st husband, Dr. Hartsfield. Both Jacob and Rebecca are buried behind the home. Rebecca's will left the home, known formerly as the Hutchings Place, to her brother Redding for his lifetime and then to his six children after his death, not to be sold until the youngest reached majority. The children sold the property to the Taylors. The oldest stone in the cemetery behind the house belongs to Jesse Hutchens. Not all the info in the "Coastal..." article is correct regarding Rebecca, especially. But the info about the house itself may well be.

Posted: 8 Aug 2012 6:50PM GMT
Sorry, that should have been Lenoir County.

Posted: 8 Aug 2012 8:02PM GMT
Thanks so much for the info! I saw Redding living with Jacob and Rebecca in 1860 and suspected he might be a brother. I can't find much on Jesse Hutchins. Do you think he might be the builder of the home?
I've seen references to a William Hutchins in the area but not sure if he's connected with the property.
I'm trying to determine if the property that the house is on was part of a larger 18th century grant.

Posted: 8 Aug 2012 11:12PM GMT
Dr. Jacob Hartsfield was first married to Martha Ann Phillips daughter of William and Elizabeth Carr Phillips. They had no children but Jacob inherited part of William Phillips' estate on behalf of his dec wife's part.
Martha Marble

Posted: 9 Aug 2012 2:47AM GMT
You're welcome. I wish I knew more to help. The "Coastal..." book cites Addie Spence Taylor who remembered according to Taylor family legend that Jesse Hutchinn built the house in 1812. He never married and a neice inherited. My relative, Rebecca, was a Pope, her mother, a Byrd. As Martha mentioned, Dr. Hartsfield's first wife was Martha Phillips. They married in 1844 and according to an old conversation with ET Rouse, had three children who all died in the late 1840s. Martha and the children were buried near Grifton-Hugo Rd, but I think the graves are long gone. Martha died in 1858 (from Pugh Bible, NC Archives)

Posted: 9 Aug 2012 2:56AM GMT
As for the Hutchins, I've seen references that Dr. Hartsfield's father was Abimileck (lots of spellings, just like lots of spellings for Hutchins)and his mother was Clarissa Hutchins. I don't have a proven source for that, but like it as a possible partial explanation of ownership from Hutchens to Hartsfield.

As to the land being part of a larger parcel or grant, I don't know. There are a few references to the adjoining land owners in the mid to late 1800s. If someone has researched this already, I hope they post their findings. If you'd like the sources of any of the material mentioned, just let me know.

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 5:47PM GMT
Surnames: Hartsfield, Hutchins, Pope
I suspect Ahimelech Hartsfield's father-in-law may have been Miles Hutchins. According to the following newspaper account from 1910, the correspondant believed that the Miles Hutchins listed in the 1790 Census was living at what would later be the Dr. Hartsfield place. In 1910 it was owned by Mr. R. W. Pope. Perhaps Miles Hutchins owned the place in 1790.
I, with the help of Brian Nilsson, have been mapping several land surveys in the vicinity on Google Maps. I still have a hole at the Jacab A. Hartsfield house but have several nearby land surveys. https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=203309431835104695269.0...

=================================
http://files.usgwarchives.net/nc/lenoir/newspapers/freepress...
The Kinston Semi-Weekly Free Press (Microfilm Roll KiKFP.1)

Saturday, March 12, 1910

More Local History-The Census of a Hundred and Twenty Years
Ago, For Dobbs County, Now Lenoir and Greene Counties.

At my last writing I jumped over into Greene. Now I am back
and starting at Ratie Thomas¹ not far from John Tulls. The
enumerator took an Indian trail across the "Ponds" and came
to Miles Hutchins, then living at the Dr. Hartsfield¹s place,
now owned by Mr. R.W. Pope.
=============================================

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 6:05PM GMT
Great job you and Brian are doing on the survey project - way over my head. I know there is softwear that can do this and at one time Lenoir Co was going to obtain that softwear but not sure the outcome. I have a problem figuring out just exactly which survey belonged to whom but no doubt at some point ya'll will be able to explain this to us people slow in the tech field.

Martha Marble
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions