Search for content in message boards

William Barber NC, GA

William Barber NC, GA

Posted: 5 Aug 2006 9:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Barber, Daniell, Lunsford, Adams, Bowers, Wilson
I know there was more than one William Barber in North Carolina who was born around 1790. However, I’m looking for information on a William Barber born 1789 who married Rachel Daniel in Clarke Co., Georgia in 1810. They were members of the Mars Hill Baptist Church and then moved to Cobb County (Marietta), Georgia where he died in 1876. They had a son, Josiah Barber, born 1831 in Clarke County who is my 2 G-GF. (He went on to marry Elizabeth Ann Daniell, daughter of Beadon Daniell and Mary Patsy Hodges).

I’m trying to find names of William’s parents or even siblings. I know there is a George Barber and Margaret Watkins that were in North Carolina at this time, but I cannot find any evidence to either prove or disprove if this is their child. The little I found says it isn’t, but I can’t tell for sure.

If anybody has any information, please let me know.

Re: William Barber NC, GA

Posted: 9 Oct 2006 12:49AM GMT
Edited: 25 Nov 2006 4:26PM GMT
Surnames: Barber, Williams, Holland
I have a George W. Barber 77 Born about 1803. He is listed in Georgia Census Butts District 552 1880 US Federal Census. His father was born in North Carolina and his mother is listed as being born in Virginia. I think he is related to me. My ggreatgrandfather is Irvine or Urbanus Barber. They were born in Emanuel County, Ga. I have not made this connection yet. I would be glad to share any information. Joan

David W. Morgan (View posts)
Posted: 10 Oct 2006 11:17PM GMT
Surnames: Barber
The George W. Barber you refer to was the son of Matthew Barber, who was born in North Carolina, most likely Johnston County NC, and died in Butts County, GA. Matthew's wife was Mrs. Joannah (Weldon?) Johnson. they are buried in the Matthew Barber cemetery, 5 miles from the Butts county courthouse.

Matthew Barber was the son of George Barber and his wife Margaret Watkins, George wrote his will in 1820 and it was proved in 1820 in Oglethorpe County, GA. He was a veteran of the American Revolution.

You can read more about the Barber family in my book,
Captain George Barber of Georgia, now online at

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~dmorgan/

I believe the George W. Barber you mention also served in the state legislature of Georgia.

David W. Morgan
dmorgan1943@hawaii.rr.com
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~dmorgan/

Posted: 17 Aug 2008 4:27PM GMT
I am very new to researching William BARBER, although I am not new to family research. A very recent discovery has lead me to believe that my GG Grandmother, Nancy S. BARBER (1844; GA - 1899; GA), was the daughter of William Daniell BARBER (1811; GA) and Kizziah REED. Nancy BARBER was married to the Reverend John RAKESTRAW just after his return from the War, and they are buried together in Poplar Springs Baptist Cemetery (Paulding Co, GA).

In the well known Daniell book by Clara Daniell Williams, William Daniell BARBER is said to have died in Roane Co, TN in 1870. I am not sure this is correct, although I must confess to being far too inexperienced on this line to offer anything but conjecture.

I live near Cobb Co, GA, which has a wonderful research facility, The Georgia Room. I have not yet had time to fully explore my presumed BARBER & DANIELL family connections, but I will do so shortly. In the mean time, I would love to begin a dialogue with any fellow BARBER & DANIELL researchers.

Stan Bevers

scbevers@comcast.net

Posted: 17 Aug 2008 4:33PM GMT
As a point of clarification, William Daniell BARBER (1811; GA) was the son of William BARBER and Rachel DANIELL.

Stan

Posted: 22 Aug 2008 2:51AM GMT
I have found that Mrs. Williams book is pretty factual in regard to Barber family. My line is William & Rachel Daniell Barber; however I have not confirmed who Richard's (my line) mother was. It was not Rachel. I cannot locate Richard after he gave his son William Billy Barber to Rachel and William to raise. Do you have any info on these? i lived in Paulding Co/ GA most of my life, my Dad who is 86 is still living.

Posted: 24 Aug 2008 12:48PM GMT
I have seen that Richard was born before the marriage of William BARBER & Rachel DANIELL, so one could certainly assume that William was married previously.

If you tell me what information you have on Richard, I'll see what else I can find.

Cousin Stan

Posted: 24 Aug 2008 7:51PM GMT
Richard and sister Pauline was by a previous wife of William. Richard's son William "Uncle Billy" Barber was born premature and Richard wanted to feed him to hogs, this according to my grandfather, Thomas Pletious Barber, William and Rachel raised "uncle Billy" he lived to be 101,and died of food poisoning, he is buried at Mt. Zion Baptist cemetary in Paulding Co. I did find a Richard living in Cains District Paulding county (which includes New Georgia) in 1880, can't verify that this is my Richard. Any help will be appreciated. I think my email address is in profile. thanks

Posted: 7 Oct 2010 3:22PM GMT
I think we need to talk.

Please contact me at my e-mail address:

scbevers@comcast.net

Thanks.

Stan Bevers

Posted: 7 Oct 2010 3:33PM GMT
Hi Stan!
We've both been part of the Barber email chat the past week or so...feel free to email me (nbarber32@gmail.com). I'm Noreen.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions