Search for content in message boards

Family of Patrick Lawless

Family of Patrick Lawless

Posted: 24 Dec 2002 8:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Jan 2004 5:56AM GMT
Surnames: Lawless
I am looking for family of Patrick Lawless who lived in Cloonconlan in the county of Mayo. My father was born there in 1899 and immigrated to Canada in 1929. He had brothers and sisters but I do not know where any of them are or their families. My father did not keep in contact with any of his family when he moved to Canada.

Re: Family of Patrick Lawless

Posted: 8 Oct 2004 12:51PM GMT
Edited: 9 Oct 2004 9:58AM GMT
My family come from Cloonconlon in Co Mayo. My mother,s name was Lawless so we could be related. It,s a very small place. Was his father's name also Patrick Lawless?

Kathy Lawless (View posts)
Posted: 23 Oct 2004 3:32AM GMT
Yes his father's name was Patrick Lawless and his mother's name was Margaret Malley.

eileen latthe (View posts)
Posted: 23 Nov 2004 10:08PM GMT
Hi Kathy,
Sorry for not replying earlier, but something went wrong with the link and I didn't get your reply. I feel that we are related. Please e,mail me direct .

best wishes Eileen

Posted: 3 Jan 2008 2:52PM GMT
I am looking for information on Michael Lawless of County Mayo, born in 1843. Married Elizabeth ?, and had a daughter Annie. Does any of this sound familiar?

Posted: 3 Jan 2008 3:05PM GMT
You could start by checking the Griffith's index on failteromhat.com and noting the parishes where Lawless was most common, then checking the registers for those parishes.

Diane

Re: Patrick Lawless b Cloonconlan, County Mayo 1899, parents Patrick Lawless and Margaret Malley

Posted: 5 Jan 2008 10:33AM GMT
Kathy,

The 1901 online County Mayo census doesn't show a two year old Patrick Lawless in Cloonconlan townland, Templemore civil parish. There are three families in that online census transcription in County Mayo with a parent named Patrick:

Townland,(Civil)Parish,Barony,County,Description, Head of household Surname,Head of household Given, Head of household Occupation,Other occupants

Gortskehy Kilcommon Kilmaine Mayo Household Lawless Patrick(64) carpenter Mary(54)-Patrick(26) carpenter-Michael(21) carpenter-James(18) carpenter-Delia(16)-Mary(13)

Cloongawnagh Kilmainemore Kilmaine Mayo Household Lawless Patrick(67) farmer/widower Michael Kiggins(40) son in law/born Co. Galway-Kate Kiggins(44) dtr.-Mary Kiggins(8) gd-Patrick Kiggins(5) gs-Michael Kiggins

Knockshanbally Templemore Gallen Mayo Household Lawless Pat(26) farmer Margaret(30)-Owen(1)-Margaret(7mo.)

The most likely family is the last one in Knockshanbally, Templemore civil parish (same civil parish Cloonconlan townland is in), 26 year old Patrick with wife Margaret but there's no 2 year old Patrick listed with them.

Do you have a copy of Patrick b 1899's civil birth certificate from the General Register Office in Ireland?

You can search Irish civil registrations records/bmds/vital records on order through your nearest LDS Famly History Centre for your father's birth information and his siblings. They're in date order. Perhaps Patrick was born later than 1899?

You can also search the 1901 County Mayo census records microfilms in the event the entry for your family wasn't included in the online census transcription. The online census transcription was done by volunteers in the US from the microfilm census records available on order through LDS. You can also order the 1911 census microfilms on order through your nearest LDS Family History Centre to search for information about the family there. That census isn't transcribed online.

The last census available in Ireland is 1911.

Re: Michael Lawless b County Mayo 1843

Posted: 5 Jan 2008 10:44AM GMT
mare75,

You need to search Michael's civil and church wherever he emigrated to find specifically where he was born in County Mayo and his parents names. There's a list of the names of all the towns and townlands in Mayo at http://www.seanruad.com and pick Mayo as your search county.

You need the specific birth location because church parish records for his religious denomination and birth location in Mayo are the possible source for a baptismal record for him. Not all church parish records survive back to 1843 when he was born.

There are no surviving census records before 1901 and civil registrations, bmds, vital records don't start until 1864 for births which is too late for a civil birth record for him.

If Michael was Roman Catholic, here's a link to the Roman Catholic parish maps in County Mayo. Click on each parish on the map to see the dates covered in the records and where the records can be accessed, most are available on order through LDS:

http://www.ireland.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/mayor...

Where did Michael emigrate to? Did he marry in Ireland? Was his daughter Annie born in Ireland or elsewhere?

Re: Michael Lawless b County Mayo 1843

Posted: 5 Jan 2008 4:38PM GMT
Thanks so much for the information. I will begin my search.

Posted: 10 Mar 2011 7:53AM GMT
I found this in the baptisms for Ballina Co Mayo
1841 January 10 - Anne for John Lawlys (Lawless) and Bridget Munnelly, Hill St.; sp. Michael Monily and Anne Walton

I found the same couple living a few hundred feet from my group of Manleys near Red Lion Square in Stamford in 1851. They are recorded as being from Ballina so it seems very very likely that they are related. Stamford is a small town of about 7,000 far removed from centers of Irish immigration. See the 1851 and 1861 English Census for John Manley. There were three Lawless boys Richard Lawless who I have as Michael Richard was 7 in 1851. The family was in Halifax in 1871. This is the only link I have for my group connecting England and Ireland. Another poster seems to link to another Manley family. Most Munnellys from Co Mayo adopted Manley outside Ireland. Does this fit?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions