Search for content in message boards

Best place to look

Best place to look

Posted: 24 Jul 2009 12:33AM GMT
Classification: Query
Could someone please advise me, where the best place to look is if you suspect someone has left the US? What type of records, if any is there for this type of search?

Thanks

Re: Best place to look

Posted: 24 Jul 2009 3:04PM GMT
Investigate when Passports were needed to leave USA, probably during the time of wars, ofcourse it depends on when you think he left the USA....and whether he used his own name.Did he join the Military and left the country that way? Did he have family in another country?
People did not have to leave the USA to disappear....
On ancesty there are some ship list
going and coming from UK.
Did you check out all the ship list available?

http://www.cyndislist.com

http://www.theshiplist.com/ships/wrecks/index.htm

PS I'm still looking for an ancestor bn 1868 and disappeared in 1910, one day I hope someone will stumble upon his grave.

Good luck in your search

Posted: 24 Jul 2009 8:51PM GMT
Hey, thanks. good luck to you too :)

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 4:59PM GMT
Instead of ancestry.com there are other sites to check. One of the best is familysearch.org because they keep the records for the census in all countries. Another is myheritage.com they have other members that you can copy their records that they have found. Since you have a computer mostly all you have to do is put in the persons name and this will bring any one with the same name. I would try familysearch.org first because they save family trees also. That is where I found my dad's family. But leave a message on the message boards still so other family members can contact you. Thanks, Carol

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 4:32PM GMT
I found familysearch.org to be a wonderful resource but I want to thank everyone for the other info. I am always looking for new places to look.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions