Search for content in message boards

Hudspeth Family of Lindsay

Hudspeth Family of Lindsay

Posted: 7 Feb 2008 8:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for information on Adam Cairns Hudspeth (1887-1924), brother of Mary Cecile Vivian Hudspeth, Katheryn Crawford Hudspeth, Hariette Gertrude Hudspeth, and Helen Wyndham Hudspeth. There was a fifth daughter who died at age 2 months and is burried at Lindsay.

They were the children of Adam Hudspeth Sr, QC, MP for Victoria Co., and Harriet Miles. Adam, Sr., donated the land for the first Anglican church in Lindsay. His political career was supported by Sam Hughes.

They were the grandchildren of Robert Hudspeth and Mary Ann (Marianne) Cairns of Cobourg, and Robert S. Miles of Cobourg. Both grandfathers had been Hudson's Bay Company Chief Factors. Mary Ann Cairns was the daughter of the Rev. Adam Cairns of Loughforgan Parish in Scotland. Adam and his sisters were the nephew/nieces of Thomas Hudspeth, the older brother of Adam Hudspeth,Sr. Thomas Hudspeth was also a lawyer.

Adam Cairns Hudspeth married Muriel Maye Evans, grand-daughter of The Rev Strachan Bethune. The Bethunes were yet another great fur trading family. Adam and Muriel had two children, Miles Hamilton Bethune Hudspeth (b. 1908 - he married Elsa Rosenberg and they had one known child) and Harriet Maye Hudspeth (she married Kenneth Morrison and they had one know child).

In one of those weird genealogical twists, as per the 1901 census, Adam's three youngest sisters becames wards of Ann Sophia Evans of Port Hope, a paternal aunt of Adam's wife.

Can anyone help me locate descendants or help me fill in the tree as to the family's activities in Lindsay.

Thanks,

Lili Kennedy
Toronto, ON

Re: Hudspeth Family of Lindsay

Posted: 7 Feb 2008 11:47PM GMT
Border Crossing: Buffalo NY 3 Feb 1927

Harriet Gertrude Hudspeth, 47, social worker, b Lindsay Canada, going to Warsaw NY, going to join Warsaw Assn State Charities, time in US: permanent, she was 5'8", blue eyes, relative in Canada: Sister, Mrs W R Hitchins of Hamilton, Ontario.
Looks like she moved to the US.

Helen Wyndham Hudspeth, 27, father: Adam Hudspeth barrister, mother; Harriet Miles, married Duncan Henry Chisholm, barrister, 41, father: Chisholm Duncan, judge, mother, Mary Craig, 18 Nov 1908, Port Hope, witn: John D Chisholm of Ft William, Gertrude Hudspeth of Port Hope, by Rev Edwin Daniel, Port Hope, Registration # 014777.

Mary Hudspeth, 22, b Port Hope, living Lindsay, Adam Hudspeth & Harriet Miles, married Wm Henry Nightingale,43, b Quebec, living Hope Tp, teacher, W H Nightingale & Mary Orr, #104506, Durham County, 5 Jul 1905.

Katherine Crawford Hudspeth, 24, Adam & Harriet Hudspeth,married Wm Richmond Hitchins, 31, b Montreal, living Toronto, actuary, Thomas Martin Hitchins & Emily, 29 Oct 1900, Durham.
This would be the sister on Harriet's border crossing informaton.

If there were any children, they would be on 1911 census on www.automatedgenealogy.com

Adam was born 9 Sept 1877 according to Ancestry.ca

1901 census Montreal Quebec
Adam Hudspith, lodger, 9 Sep 1877, 23, bank clerk.
He is lodging with a Sidney & Clara Underwood. Looks like a small boarding house as there are a couple of lodgers.

1911 census Leeds County, Ont
HUDSPATH
Adam, head, Sep 1877, 33, b Ont
Murial M, wife, Apr 1877, 34, b Quebec
Miles H B, son, Jul 1908, 2 , b Ont

All information from Ancestry.ca

1911 census is the last one released. Try canada411.ca

Hudspath isn't that common a name.

Posted: 8 Feb 2008 3:34AM GMT
Thanks for your help!

I had not been able to locate any descendants - hence the appeal. I am hoping that the Archives in Lindsay will be able to offer up some more information, but will have to wait for CUPE to go back in.

Thanks again.

Lili

Posted: 25 May 2012 6:45AM GMT
Surnames: Hudspeth
Here's the obituary for Miles Hamilton Bethune Hudspeth, son of Adam C Hudspeth.

(Miles is my biological grandfather.)

http://www.obitsforlife.com/obituary/501797/Hudspeth-Miles.p...
HUDSPETH, Miles Hamilton Bethune
Died September 10, 2005 at Oakville Trafalgar Hospital after a short illness in his 98th year. Born July 23, 1908 at Gananoque, Ontario, the eldest child of Adam Hudspeth and Muriel (nee Evans) Hudspeth of Montreal. A career employee with Dominion Rubber (later Uniroyal) he rose to General Manager of its Tire Division in Kitchener when that factory was Kitchener-Waterloo`s largest employer. He retired after 40 years service in 1969. Later he worked for the Ontario Veterinary Association, Guelph, as office manager during the 1970`s. A resident of Lakeshore Place Retirement Home in Burlington for the past six years, Mr. Hudspeth is survived by his daughter Mrs. Lyle (Susan) Malcolm of Burlington and a nephew Ken Morrison of Vancouver. Mr. Hudspeth was predeceased by his wife, of fifty-nine years, Elsa in 1999 and his son-in-law (2005). Memorial Service to be held Friday, September 30, 2005 at 2 p.m. at Lakeshore Place, Burlington. The Reverend Howard Sullivan officiating. Cremation has taken place. Burial will be in Brockville, Ontario with his wife, father and mother: Adam Hudspeth and Muriel (Evans).

Posted: 25 May 2012 12:40PM GMT
Hi! Thank you for taking the time to respond. I appreciate your sharing Miles H.B. Hudspeth's obituary. I have been researching Adam Hudspeth from two angles - his connection to the summer community of Sturgeon Point, Ontario, where he was one of the original purchasers of land. The other angle is the research I have been doing into the descendants of the fur trader Jean Etienne Waden, whose daughter Veronique married the Rev John Bethune the elder. Also Harriet Miles' mother Catherine Sinclair was also connected back into the Waden family through her brother William's marriage to Mary Wadin McKay, daughter of Veronique Waden Bethune's Metis half-sister, Marguerite Waden & the fur trader Alexander McKay. Nothing more fun than plying six degrees of seperation with fur trade families!

If you have time to chat, I'd appreciate the opportunity. I can be reached at jlk.kars at hotmail.com

Thanks!

Liane Kennedy

Posted: 10 Oct 2012 6:26PM GMT
Surnames: Hudspeth
Just a note,
. It appears that John H. Hudspeth has been forgotten. He iwas the oldest child and is buried in the same plot as his sister Mary. Mary's husband died in Ontario as did their only daughter, Cecile who was married to my father and they are both buried at Beechwood in Ottawa

Posted: 27 Nov 2013 6:32AM GMT
I have been working on this lineage ... from the Sinclair side
John Hamilton Hudspeth 1874-1938
1921 Canadian Census ... Edmonton ... single
Found a burial in Edmonton ... 1938.02.01

Unfortunately my resources for newspaper obituaries don't cover 1938 in Edmonton
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions