Search for content in message boards

Warren Ancestry of Clementine Adams Warren Whitaker

Warren Ancestry of Clementine Adams Warren Whitaker

Jim W. Drew-Whitaker (View posts)
Posted: 11 Aug 2002 3:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Warren, Adams, Whitaker, Baker, Thompkins, Tompkins, Hash, Morgan, Speaks, Arnold, Trosper, Wilburn, Storm, Cooper, Arthur, Duncan, Price, Hamm, Evans, Shjplet, Chaney, Wombles, Turner, Floyd, Vanhook, McFarland
Documentation leaves no doubt that Rev. Matthew Martha Baker Warren were the closest Warren link to 2ggm Malinda Tompkins Adams Hash.

Since Martha Baker Warren was the daughter of Andrew Baker m/1 unknown and m/2 Hannah Roberts? and Cyrus Adams was the son of James Adams m/2 Andrew Baker's widow Hannah Roberts? Baker this makes Hannah the step-mother of Cyrus Adams (step-mother-in-law to 2ggm Malinda) and Martha Baker Warren the step-sister-law of Cyrus & 2ggm Malinda.

Here you will find several pieces of documentation which supports my theory that Great-grandmother Clementine (Adams) Warren Whitaker (10 Mar. 1868- 28 Nov. 1841) was the granddaughter of Rev. Matthew & Martha Baker Warren:

Two extremely good sources I know of say that Great-grandmother's father was a Warren: 1. Great Uncle John Walter Whitaker's death certificate gives his mother's name as Clementine Warren 2. Cousin Zella Hash Speaks told me that her Aunt (my Great-grandmother) "Clem" told her that her father had been a Warren.

Per Cousin Jeff Renner: In a message dated 6/20/2 10:24:32 10:, jrenner@designisolutions.com writes: Jim, the reason I asked about the Whitaker Cemetery is that I can find where it was in the Mills Whitaker land. Henry may be the first Whitaker to own the property. It looks like it was part of an 1807 grant to Charles Warren, which is the earliest grant I can find in the Line Creek area, at least issued to a family who actually lived in the area. Charles Warren was the father of Rev. Matthew Warren married Martha Baker in 1816.

G-grandmother Clementine's mother Malinda Tompkins Adams Hash during the time she lived in Laurel Co., KY lived a stones throw away from the Adams, Baker, Morgan, Trosper, Arnold and Whitaker families.

2ggm Malinda Elizabeth Tompkins (1835-1904) m/1 Cyrus Adams Adams (c1818-1862); 25 May 1853. She kept the surname of Adams until she m/2 John Hash (after 1870).
2ggm Malinda' children after the death of Cyrus Adams, in Nelson, Co., KY 1862, took the surname of Adams.
G-grandmother Clementine was born March 10, 1868. She married, 25 Aug. 1884, Great-grandfather Henry Mills Whitaker under the name of Adams.
In 3ggm Elizabeth Wilburn T(h)ompkins will of 25 Aug. 1873 she mentions 'This my desire that my daughter Malinda Adams have one bee hive.'

Baker & Whitaker neighbors:
The 1830 and 1840 Laurel Co., KY censuses show that the households of Andrew Baker, Giles Whitaker, and John Whitaker were adjacent to each other. John Whitaker's 1850 household is recorded in both the Laurel & Pulaski censuses.

2ggm Malinda Tompkins Adams's father-in-law James Adams married Hannah Baker, the widow of Andrew Baker on the 26 Jul. 1851, in Laurel Co., KY.

Andrew Baker was the father of Martha Baker Warren by his first unknown wife.

Martha Baker married Matthew Warren on Jan. 20th 1816 in Pulaski Co., KY. Andrew Baker was recorded as father of the bride.

In the 1850 Pulaski census you'll find that Rev. Matthew Warren's widow Martha Warren in household # 493 was the neighbor of John (wife Mary (Baker) Whitaker were in household #497, Charles (wife Mary Shiplet) Warren in household #494 (s/o Matthew & Martha) , Giles (wife Paulina Evans) Whitaker in household 495 (s/o Mills Whitaker), Andy (wife Cynthia Storm) Arnold in household #498, Tilman (wife Martha Cooper) Duncan in whose household #500, James Cooper and Sarah Arthur, (not yet married) are living and Andrew (wife Nancy Price) Warren in household # 502. James Harvey Whitaker's1749 will helps one realize that these people were kinsman and very close friends.

Andy Arnold was the s/o James & Elizabeth Baker Arnold. Elizabeth Baker Arnold is a suspected daughter of Andrew Baker & first unknown wife ... Sister to Martha Baker Warren.... James & Eliabeth Baker Arnold were the parents of Sidney Arnold m. Mills Whitaker & Mary Arnold m. James Whitaker.

Here's the transcription: (typed as written)

JAMES H. WHITAKER 1849

In the name of God amen.
I James H. Whiteaker of the Cty of Pulaski Being not verry well in body but of sound mind and disposeing memory for which I thank God and calling to mind the uncertainty of human nature or life and living desirous to dispose of all such worldly estate as it has pleased God to bless me with I give and bequeath the same as foloweth that is to say I give & be queath after my funeral expenses and just debts is pd to Dicy mine own daughter the some of one dollar then the balance of all my personal property & land to be devided equal amongst the other children after the widows dowry to wit L. M. Whiteaker & John R. Whiteaker & Alexander Whiteaker & Jas H. Whiteaker Jr. all mine own sons & Maryann Whiteaker & Mehaly Whiteaker there 4 sons and 2 daughters to have anhold to their & their heirs equaly and lastly I do here constitute my friend
__________(long blank, not named) exectator of this my last will and testament here by remaking all other (striken) former wills or testaments by me here to fore made in witness where of I have here unto set my hand & affixed my seal this the 28th Aprile 1849 /s/
James H. Whiteaker * SL
Attest
Alfred Warren (son of Matthew & Martha Baker Warren)
Tillman Duncan (step-father of James Cooper)
Giles Whiteaker (son of Mills & Sidney Arnold Whitaker)
Charles Warren (son of Matthew & Martha Baker Warren)

State of Kentucky
Pulaski County Sct

At a County Court held for the County afsd at the courthouse thereof in the Town of Somerset on Monday the 16th day of July 1849 A writing purporting to be the last will and Testament of James H. Whitaker Sr Decd was this day produced to the Court and Proven by the Oath of Charles Warren and Tilman Duncan Subscribing Witnesses thereto and ordered to be
recorded and the same is done accordingly.
Att: Will M. Fox Clerk

James Cooper & Sarah Arthur married, 29 Sept. 1863. Wit. Jesse Morgan (?) Shiplett; Minister, G. B. Smith, Ambrose & Esther Arthur parents of the bride.

Morgan Links

Jesse Morgan's brother Daniel Morgan, Jr. married Malinda Whitaker the d/o John & Mary Baker Whitaker. Daniel & Malinda Whitaker Morgan, Jr.'s daughter Lucinda "Cindy" Morgan married Amos Chaney. John Hash's first wife Elizabeth Morgan Hash was probably the daugther of Daniel Morgan, Sr. 1870 Laurel Co. census: Daniel Morgan, Sr. in household # 8 & Robert Wombles m. Sarah E. Morgan d/o Malinda Tompkins is in Reuben Hawk's household # 10 ... Robert & Sarah Morgan Wombles #62 are neighbors of Amos & Lucinda Morgan Chaney #70 in 1900 Pulaski.
Sarah E. Morgan Wombles's aunt Nancy Tompkins Morgan married Joseph Morgan who was Lucinda Morgan Chaney's uncle, on the 24th of Jan. 1846 in Laurel Co.

There isn't any doubt that James Harvey Whitaker was a kinsman of the brothers John & Mills Whitaker (sons of Giles & Margaret Mills? Whitaker) but at this time (7 Aug. 2002) noone knows how they were related. Though, it is known that James Harvey Whitaker's wife, Mary Arnold Whitaker, was the sister of Mills Whitaker's wife Sidney Arnold Whitaker.

Tilman Duncan's widow Martha Duncan (m/1 Wm. Cooper), Martha's son James Cooper & his wife Sarah nee Arthur are buried in the Cooper Cemetery.

Cooper Cemetery On Line Creek In Pulaski Co.

Location: Start at the intersaction of Route #1269 and Route #1956 (near the Laurel County line - on some maps #1956 is called old #80), go westward on #1956 1.1 miles, turn right, go .8 mile following the Line Creek. At the place the Buffalo Branch Road "T" intersects with Line Creek Road, you will see the cemetery on the hillside on the left. The maintained cemetery is about 300' from the Line Creek Road. This is the old "Ceif" (John Finley) Cooper home place. The large 2-story home is still satnding. This once fine home is in bad condittion. The cemetery is in Pulaski County just across Line Creek from Rockcastle Co.

Recorded By: Jeanne Snodgrass Bonham

Date Recorded: 3 April 1985

Transcribed By: Jim W. Drew-Whitaker, 11/18/01

Elizabeth Thompkins' Will
I Elizabeth Thompkins of Laurel County being of feeble health and
advanced in years and being of sound mind and disposing memory and
desiring to make such disposition of my estate as seems to me justice do
make and constitute this my last will and testament.

1. It is my will and desire that my daughter Nancy Morgan have one
bee hive.

2. This my desire that my daughter Malinda Adams have one bee
hive.

3. This my desire that my daughter Mary Thompkins have one bee
hive.

4. This my desire that my grandson W. S. Turner have my red heifer
calf and bedbed clothing, bed
stead.

5. It is my desire that my daughter Burnetta Turner have one bee
hive and all the rest of my estate consisting of household and kitchen
furniture and one brown milk cow 2 years old heifer, two head of sheep,
and five head of hogs.

This is my will and desire that Robert Early be appointed Executor of
this my last will and testament.  It is my desire that this
instrument be placed upon record in the Laurel County Court.

Witness my mark and signature this 25 of Aug, 1873.
Witness: W. E. Smith Elizabeth Thompkins mark

John Sparks

State of Kentucky

Laurel County Court, Oct. two 1873, a paper purporting to be the last
will and testament of Betty Thompkins was produced to court and by the
oath of W.E. Smith subscribing who also attended the signature of John
Sparks. Whereupon the same to record this day by:  L.
Ewell, W. E. Smith.

Matthew Warren was the son of Charles & Caty Floyd Warren.

Caty Floyd Warren was the daughter of Matthew Floyd and sister of Abraham Floyd, Sr.

Abraham Floyd Jr. (Abraham2, Matthew1) was born in 1787 at Burke Co., North Carolina. He married Jane "Jincy" Chaney on 17Decemberæ´ 1812 at Pulaski Co., Kentucky. He died in May1848 at Perry Twp., Davis Co., Iowa.

Jane Chaney Floyd, Jr. was the daughter of John & Susannah Hill Chaney the G-grandparents of Amos Chaney married Lucinda Morgan.

Descendants of Matthew Warren
MATTHEW WARREN (CHARLES) was born Abt. 1798, and died 1849 in Pulaski County, KY. He married MARTHA BAKER; January 20, 1816, daughter of ANDREW BAKER . She was born Abt. 1798, and died April 26, 1888 in Pulaski County, KY
More About MARTHA BAKER
Burial: Keeney Cemetery
More About MATTHEW WARREN & MARTHA BAKER
Marriage: January 20, 1816
Children of MATTHEw WARREN and MARTHa BAKER are:
i. JOHN WARREN
ii. ALFRED WARREN, b. Abt. 1817; d. 1852, Pulaski County, KY; m. NANCY HAMM, June 19, 1850, Pulaski County, KY; d. Abt. 1852.
iii. ANDREW WARREN , b. February 12, 1818; d. January 01, 1900; m. NANCY BALEY PRICE; b. Abt. 1819, NC
Notes for ANDREW W ARREN
Andrew was a merchant according the 1860 PC census.}
iv.CHARLES WARREN, b. Abt. 1823; d. March 11, 1864; m. MARY ANN SHIPLET, November 29, 1844, Pulaski County, KY; b. Abt. 1827.
More About CHARLES WARREN and MARY SHIPLET
Marriage: November 29, 1844, Pulaski County, KY
v.GENEVA WARREN , b. Abt. 1824.}
vi. CYRENIUS WARREN, b. Abt. 1825; m. MARY
vii. FIELDEN LANGFORD WARREN , b. September 23, 1826; d. March 10, 1913, Witing, Jackson, KS; m. MARY JANE MC KINNEY
Notes for FELDEN LANGFORD WARREN
Fielden was a preacher and merchant. He handled his brother Alfred's estate.
jwdw note: Fielding Warren moved to Rockcastle Co., and had property adjacent his uncle Andrew Baker, Jr. (brother of 4ggm Martha Baker Warren) I beleive he preached at the "Line Creek Baptist Church" of which 3ggm Sidney Arnold Whitaker & 4ggm? Mary Baker Whitaker were members. (4ggm Mary Baker Whitaker was wife of 4ggf John Whitaker; G-grandmother Mary "Maude" nee Chaney Vanhook Whitaker's G-grandparents; 2ggps of sisters Sallie Vanhook Whitaker & Minnie Vanhook Whitaker).
viii. ELIZABETH WARREN, b. Abt. 1831; d. May 19, 1856; m. WILLIAM SHIPLET , October 16, 1852, Pulaski County, KY; b. July 26, 1832, Lincoln County, KY; d. March 09, 1882, Rockcastle Co, KY.
Notes for ELIZABETH WARREN
Died of consumption.}

ix.GREEN MILTON WARREN , b. Abt. 1835; d. May 20, 1856, Pulaski County, KY.
Notes for GREEN MILTON WARREN
Died of consumption. jwdw note: I seem to remember he died very young.. a teeager?
.x. JAMES T. WARREN, b. Abt. 1836; d. Aft. 1872; m. SALVICA CARROLL
xi. JOEL WARREN, b. Abt. 1839; d. Aft. 1870.
Jwdw note: Joel Warren seems to be the best candidate for being G-grandmother Clementine (Adams) Warren Whitaker's father.

These Warrens certainly seem to be the closest neighbors of our Whitaker, Baker, Arnold & Morgan ancestors.

A few years back, in my amateur way, after thoroughly combing the Laurel Co. Warrens, I'd suspected that Wellington Warren of Laurel Co., KY was the father of G-grandmother "Clem" because I found him the 1870 Laurel Co. census as being a widower. I'd dismissed the Pulaski Warrens because to amateur me they seemed too distant.... How wrong I was!!! Wellington Warren stills bothers me because I have found his family also linked to the Bakers & 3ggm Elizabeth "Betty" Wilburn's (mother of 2ggm Malinda) family.
From this day forward (6/27/02), I, Jim Drew-Whitaker, because of circumstantial evidence being more in the favor of Rev. Matthew & Martha Baker Warren being the grandparents of G-grandmother Clementine (Adams) Warren that I here do claim their son Joel with a (?) as being the father of our Clementine (Adams) Warren Whitaker. Joel's not known to have been married and he's about the age of 2ggm Malinda, b. 1835.
xii. ELENDER WARREN, b. Abt. 1840; d. December 10, 1857, Pulaski County, KY.
Notes for ELENDER WARREN
Died of consumption.

Another piece of circumstantial evidence in favor of these Warrens being G-grandmother's is that 2ggm Malinda's daughter Mary was by a Baker man, who was no doubt the half brother of Martha Baker Warren, son Andrew & Hannah Roberts? Baker.

1870 Laurel Co. census: Daniel Morgan, Sr. in household # 8 & Robert Wombles m. Sarah E. Morgan d/o Malinda Tompkins is in Reuben Hawk's household # 10 ... Robert & Sarah Morgan Wombles #62 are neighbors of Amos & Lucinda Morgan Chaney #70 in 1900 Pulaski.

Other notable links are Andrew & Hannah Roberts? Baker's sons married James & Eleanor "Nellie" Mahan Trosper's daughters (also sisters of James Trosper married Delia Storm): Smith Baker married Nancy Trosper & Smith Baker marrried Catherine Trosper. Catherine Storm Arnold was kinswoman of Delia Storm Trosper Whitaker. Delia Storm Trosper Whitaker m/2 William Whitaker s/o John & Mary Baker Whitaker.

Other John & Mary Baker Whitaker Links

Son Solomon Whitaker (m. Thursey McFarland) and they were the parents of Mary Frances "Mollie" Whitaker married John Hash, Jr.
Solomon Whitaker was in the Civil War with his brother Mills Whitaker & brother-in-law Daniel Morgan along with James Ambrose Tropser who married his 1st cousin Paulina Whitaker Farmer d/o Mills & Sidney Arnold Whitaker.

Mary Frances "Mollie" Whitaker Hash was the mother of George Washington Whitaker (by George Washington Vanhook) & Zella Hash Speaks.
George Washington Whitaker maried Mary "Maude" Chaney Vanhook d/o Amos & Lucinda "Cindy" Morgan Chaney.

Viola Chaney d/o Amos & Lucinda Morgan Chaney, married John Turner son or grandson of Burnetta Tompkins Turner d/o Eli & "Betty" Wilburn Tompkins.

Baker & Trosper Correction & Additional Information

Jim W. Drew-Whitaker (View posts)
Posted: 12 Aug 2002 1:00AM GMT
Surnames: Baker, Trosper, Mahan, Storm, Whitaker, Whiteaker,Warren, Adams, Farmer
Other notable links are Andrew & Hannah Roberts? Baker's sons married James & Eleanor "Nellie" Mahan Trosper's daughters (also sisters of James Trosper married Delia Storm): Smith Baker married Nancy Trosper & Bolin Baker marrried Catherine Trosper. Delia Storm Trosper Whitaker m/2 William Whitaker s/o John & Mary Baker Whitaker.
Mills & Sidney Arnold Whitaker's son Thomas Whitaker married Charity Trosper and their daughter Paulina m/1 Thomas Farmer and m/2 James Ambrose Trosper. Sister & brother Charity & James Trosper were the children of James & Delia Storm Trosper; niece & nephew of Smith & Nancy Trosper Baker & Bolin & Catherine Trosper Baker. Thomas & Charity Trosper Whitaker's son Henry Mills Whiteaker married Clementine Adams Warren. Henry Mills Whitaker was the G-nephew of Smith & Nancy Trosper Baker & Bolin & Clementime Adams Warren Whitaker was their G-step-niece.

Re: Warren Ancestry of Clementine Adams Warren Whitaker

D.Rice (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jan 2003 1:40PM GMT
Edited: 13 Jan 2003 6:05AM GMT
Surnames: Whitaker
Dear Jim,
Would like to correspond regarding Whitakers in Kentucky in the early 1800's. I descend a Giles Whitaker who later moved to Missouri.

D.Rice
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions