Search for content in message boards

Can this be true

Can this be true

Posted: 21 Mar 2005 3:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Williams
I have my fathers birth certificate and he has an unusual middle name which is Brighton.
With this in mind I cannot find any entries for his death in 1979 and although I have his birth certificate-registered in 1915 in the sub district of St Marys Birmingham I got a no matches found when i searched the births/deaths/marraiges records.
Can anyone explain to me why it is that I can enter so much information about the birth of my father off his Birth certificate and yet the records on this site cannot find any entry for him?

Re: Can this be true

Posted: 23 Mar 2005 7:49PM GMT
Edited: 13 Nov 2006 8:31PM GMT
My grandmother died in florida on vacation and is listed as dying where she lived. Forget the middle name that might be your only problem. Check the SS death index for the country for the 1979. If he is not there try other years. Once you know where and when he died and what his name was then you can start researching using the official name/place and date.

INDEXITUS: Can't find my ancestor anywhere

Posted: 31 Mar 2005 12:22PM GMT
DearMYRTLE, your friend in genealogy
--------------------------------------------------------
INDEXITUS: Can't find my ancestor anywhere

RE: message board posting: http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/message/an/topics.methods....

DearMYRTLE,
I have my father's birth certificate and he has an unusual middle name which is Brighton. With this in mind I cannot find any entries for his death in 1979 and although I have his birth certificate, registered in 1915 in the sub-district of St. Mary's Birmingham. I got a "no matches found" when I searched the births, deaths, & marriages records. Can anyone explain to me why it is that I can enter so much information about the birth of my father off his birth certificate and yet the records on this site cannot find any entry for him?

DearMYRTLE & Gordon,
My grandmother died in Florida on vacation and is listed as dying where she lived. Forget the middle name that might be your only problem. Check the SS death index for the country [US] for the 1979. If he is not there try other years. Once you know where and when he died and what his name was then you can start researching using the official name/place and date.

DearGORDON & RON,
HELP! We need a little more information:
-- Gordon didn't specify the "site" he was using unsuccessfully to find the "births, deaths & marriages"
-- Gordon, is Birmingham in England or in Alabama?

THANKS to Ron for providing these clues which apply to any database or index book:
-- "Forget middle name"
-- Forget specific locality, and try for a broader search, i.e.. "all country"

TO THIS, ol' Myrt here might add:
-- Try at least 20 alternate spellings of the surname.
-- Try combinations of first only, or middle only with those 20 alternate spellings.
-- It's possible that the database you are searching is "in progress" and therefore not complete.
-- Some databases do not list events that occurred within the past 75 years because of that state/country's requirements with respect to "right to privacy."

NOTE: I recall that the old microfiche "PARISH & VITAL RECORDS LIST" identified the records that had been extracted through the double-blind entry Name Extraction Program (by LDS & volunteers). In one column a "%" indicated the estimate on the part of the extractors regarding the percent of unreadable entries. This could be due to damaged pages or undecipherable handwriting in the original manuscript.

I should mention that if you try to use flowery SCRIPT to write out the name of an ancestor, you can see that a capital "H" could be a interpreted as a capital "R" which puts the surname in an entirely different place in a database or index.

Might I add my own definition:

INDEXITUS:
-- The state of being frustrated by the use of indexes or compiled databases. Usually associated with headaches, pain in the backside, heavy sighs, and groans. In extreme cases, the victim of indexitus may burst out in tears, normally associated with wailing and gnashing of teeth.
-- Typically experienced by frustrated genealogists.
-- The cure is to repeat this mantra until symptoms subside:
"Indexes aren't perfect -- look at the original."

Happy family tree climbing!
Myrt :)
DearMYRTLE,
6023 26th Street West PMB 352
Bradenton, FL 34207
http://www.DearMYRTLE.com

Re: INDEXITUS: Can't find my ancestor anywhere

Posted: 31 Mar 2005 4:40PM GMT
Hey Myrt, I actually learned something. I did not know about those details of LDS data entry. I am well familiar with the pains of transcription.

Gordon, what was his name? I will look for you. I will be faster to just look for it. You really needed to have given you fathers full name and the actual location state and country if it was not in the US. We should not hae to be guessing what country your dad was born in. That also applies to when and where you think he died.

Your dad probabbly served in WWII you might want to check those records. You might want to subscribe to this site's search engine. That would save you time.

PLEASE teach people how to FISH, don't fish for them

Myrt :) (View posts)
Posted: 1 Apr 2005 12:53PM GMT
DearREADERS,
While your postings are helpful from time to time, this sort of posting is another story. To tell people "I'll do it for you, it will be faster" is inappropriate.

Teaching people the PROCESS is much more what we're looking for here on DearMYRTLE's message board.

LDS data entry

Myrt :) (View posts)
Posted: 1 Apr 2005 1:02PM GMT
Dear Ron,
Please do not draw sweeping conclusions about "LDS data entry". The high quality, double-blind data entry "Name Extraction Program" which I described in the "Indexitus" column is just one source of the data online at www.familysearch.org.

-- It's true for the 1880 US Federal Census index (thank heavens).

-- It's true for the 1881 British & Canadian Census indices (thank heavens.)

-- It's true for the Medieval Records ID Unit work which appears in the Ancestral File. (The original records were obviously sometimes grossly inaccurate in attempts to prove lineage to royal houses of Europe.)

-- It's true for the 22 million names in the database at: www.ellisislandrecords.org

-- It is NOT true for the "Patron Submissions" in the IGI, Ancestral File and Pedigree Resource File. Unfortunately we cannot trust these less-than-accurate entries.

The point of my "Indexitus" column was to steer people clear of relying solely on compiled indexes, whether online or in book format.

Myrt :)

Re: LDS data entry

Posted: 4 Apr 2005 3:45PM GMT
Oh, I could have gressed that. Infact, some of the info is completely wrong. The submitters can not all have prefect knowledge. Still it is a wonderful resorce. Like most information it must be concidered suspect without verification. Even the census. People did not always know when or where they were born. Those errors can not helped or avoided.

Re: PLEASE teach people how to FISH, don't fish for them

Posted: 4 Apr 2005 4:04PM GMT
Even though this is your board, I disagree. Still, I will not offer this type of help on your board.
I offer help on many other boards. I pick someone who is very confused or headed the wrong way. I first make suggestionse of how to proceed. If they don't "get" the advice, I DO grab the data my self but I just do not provide the info. I tell where I found the info as well as how and why I looked where I did if appropriate. Sometimes people that are very confused learn easier with a concrete example. Usually, more than one person has the same kind of problem and read along.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions