Search for content in message boards

Hamiltons in Alabama and Mississippi

Hamiltons in Alabama and Mississippi

Brent Hamilton (View posts)
Posted: 18 Dec 2000 2:21PM GMT
My greatgrandfather was from Pine Spruce, Alabama, his name was Samuel Wiley Hamilton and his wife was Ada. They are buried outside Morton Mississippi at Mt. Olive Primitive Baptist Church. Does anyone know any Hamiltons from Alabama or Mississippi? Has anyone heard of Hamilton Alabama or Hamilton Mississippi?

Hamiltons in AL and MS

Posted: 19 Dec 2000 4:29PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jan 2002 3:12PM GMT
Brent, there are lots of us with roots in AL and MS.
My branch is in Jasper, AL, Walker Co. My father, Griffin HObart, was born there in 1895. His lineage is John Christopher Freeman, Andrew John, to Harvey, who came to Jasper in 1838 after briefly living in Huntsville. His father, Barton, came from TN with his father, Francis Alexander, around 1810. Francis was born in MD.

I looked through all my stuff and found no Samuel Wiley, but things get fuzzy before Andrew JOhn.

I'll keep you posted if I come across anything.

Griff Hamilton

Thanks for the information

Brent Hamilton (View posts)
Posted: 20 Dec 2000 7:36AM GMT
I have saved your information. My father, Sam William Hamilton(b. Morton,MS, 1935), grandson of Samuel Wiley(b.Pine Spruce, AL). We are very interested in you. please keep in touch.
Brent Hamilton
916 992-1178
355-3645 office

Francis Alexander Hamilton

Posted: 10 Jan 2001 12:37PM GMT
Edited: 3 Jul 2001 12:22PM GMT
Griff, I'm pretty sure we have commom relatives, but my data is a little different. Starting with Francis A.b.1760-1770,m.Mary? to Barton,b.1793 in TN,m.Rebecca Evans to William Harvey,b.10/26/1813 in AL,m.Mary Susan Kitchens, to James Jackson Hamilton,etc.
What do you think? If we both go back to the same Francis, I have other info on the Hamiltons if you are interested. How sure are you that Francis was born in Maryland? I have his birth in Virginia. Rex

Francis Alexander Hamilton

Posted: 15 Jan 2001 10:15AM GMT
Rex, that is the guy, and you are right about VA birth. I was guessing at MD. If you are of the James Jackson Hamilton line (b.25 Mar 1837, d. 20 Jan 1891, m. Mary Williams and later Eliza Jane Reed), our common ancestor is Harvey. His son Andrew John Hamilton, two years younger than James J., b.1939. He married Sarah Cass Burton in Jasper, AL. Their son John Christopher Freeman Hamilton (called Freeman)is my grandfather!
As for Francis, all I know is that Barton was born in Green County, TN in 1890, apparently while the family was on its was to Lawrence County, TN, where Francis is buried. Would love to know more about the line back from Francis, why he went to TN, etc. I have much info on the Walker County Hamiltons. My brothers and I have visited the Coal City cemetery, where James J. is buried. I'd love to give you any and all info I have. By the way, I am a card-carrying reader at the Library of Congress and have a Research Card at the National Archives, if I can look anything up for you.

Griff Hamilton
Annapolis, MD
Posted: 15 Jan 2001 3:48PM GMT
Edited: 3 Jul 2001 12:22PM GMT
Great to hear from you Griff. I see you live in Annapolis. I retired from the Naval Academy in 1998. Small world. We are living in Salisbury, MD now.
I'm your grandfather's first cousin so I guess that makes us 3rd cousins??
Thanks for your offer to share info. I only have info on Sarah of Andrew John's six children. I would appreciate something on your grandfather and other siblings. Also, I am missing info on Issac and Christopher C. of William Harvey's 12 children. Do you have anything on them?
I'll be glad to help you if I can. I'm even missing a lot on my grandfather's (Andrew Jackson Hamilton,b.7/27/82) siblings.
Thanks again for your help.
Rex Hamilton
joanrex@mindspring.com

Andrew John Hamilton et al

Posted: 14 Jun 2001 12:57PM GMT
Rex, I think I dropped the ball on answering your msg in January, due to a combination of things. Here is the info I have on Andrew John Hamilton's siblings:
1. Sarah m. Francis M. Carmichael
2. Burton, b.~ 1835
3. James J. b.25 Mar 1837 - d. 20 Jan 1891, m. Mary Williams
4. Rebecca b. 15 May 1840 d. 18 Jan 1908, m. Augustus Alex "Gus" Williams (14 Oct 1843 - 4 Jul 1911
5. Jacob (Jake) b. 18 Nov 1843, m. Martha Jane Cooner
6. William Preston (or Presley) m. Tabitha Morris
7. Isaac, b. 1849
8. Christopher m. Elizabeth Dutton
9. Frances A. "Fannie" b. 7 Apr 1858 d. 14 Dec 1899, m. W.A. Jackson
10. Susan M. "Susie" m. Mack Romie
11. Mary Elizabeth b. 14 Sep 1855 d. 2 May 1881, m. John A. Williams

May grandfather is John Christopher Freeman Hamilton, known as Freeman, b.24 Apr 1870 and d. 13 Apr 1929. He married Sarah Emma Karrh (8 Jun 1873 - 30 Nov 1938), and they had 16 children, my father, Griffin Hobart, was third child and first son.

Freeman's siblings are:
1. Martha (4 Mar 1860 - Dec 1937), m. King David Tubbs and had 8 children.
2. William "Billy", m. Alice and had 5 children.
3. Sarah, m. ?McGraw
4. Mary Dinah, m. Charles Travis and had 3 children, Henry, Truman, and Grady. Truman's widow, Dolly, is still alive in Birmingham - saw her two years ago.
5. James Benjamin m. Pauline Hillhouse.

Would appreciate more info on where Francis Alexander Hamilton was born. Looks like he left VA after revolution and trekked west to Greene Cty TN territory, where Barton was born, and finally settled in Lawrence Cty, TN, where he died. Someone else told me (although I have no written record) that Francis was either a tax collector or some similar kind of minor functionary.

Call me next time you are in Annapolis. My # is 410-991-9589.

Griff

Andrew John Hamilton et al

Posted: 14 Jun 2001 12:57PM GMT
Rex, I think I dropped the ball on answering your msg in January, due to a combination of things. Here is the info I have on Andrew John Hamilton's siblings:
1. Sarah m. Francis M. Carmichael
2. Burton, b.~ 1835
3. James J. b.25 Mar 1837 - d. 20 Jan 1891, m. Mary Williams
4. Rebecca b. 15 May 1840 d. 18 Jan 1908, m. Augustus Alex "Gus" Williams (14 Oct 1843 - 4 Jul 1911
5. Jacob (Jake) b. 18 Nov 1843, m. Martha Jane Cooner
6. William Preston (or Presley) m. Tabitha Morris
7. Isaac, b. 1849
8. Christopher m. Elizabeth Dutton
9. Frances A. "Fannie" b. 7 Apr 1858 d. 14 Dec 1899, m. W.A. Jackson
10. Susan M. "Susie" m. Mack Romie
11. Mary Elizabeth b. 14 Sep 1855 d. 2 May 1881, m. John A. Williams

May grandfather is John Christopher Freeman Hamilton, known as Freeman, b.24 Apr 1870 and d. 13 Apr 1929. He married Sarah Emma Karrh (8 Jun 1873 - 30 Nov 1938), and they had 16 children, my father, Griffin Hobart, was third child and first son.

Freeman's siblings are:
1. Martha (4 Mar 1860 - Dec 1937), m. King David Tubbs and had 8 children.
2. William "Billy", m. Alice and had 5 children.
3. Sarah, m. ?McGraw
4. Mary Dinah, m. Charles Travis and had 3 children, Henry, Truman, and Grady. Truman's widow, Dolly, is still alive in Birmingham - saw her two years ago.
5. James Benjamin m. Pauline Hillhouse.

Would appreciate more info on where Francis Alexander Hamilton was born. Looks like he left VA after revolution and trekked west to Greene Cty TN territory, where Barton was born, and finally settled in Lawrence Cty, TN, where he died. Someone else told me (although I have no written record) that Francis was either a tax collector or some similar kind of minor functionary.

Call me next time you are in Annapolis. My # is 410-991-9589.

Griff

Re: Andrew John Hamilton et al

Posted: 5 Jul 2001 7:48PM GMT
Edited: 27 Jun 2006 9:17PM GMT
Surnames: Hamilton
Griff,
Thanks so much for all of the info on Andrew John Hamilton. I really appreciate it. I found another of your posts to someone else where you recommended looking at a Lawson web site for Hamilton information. That is a terrific web site. It includes hundreds of our cousins.
I seldom get up to Annapolis, but will give you a call when I do.
Rex

Re: Francis Alexander Hamilton

Posted: 26 Jul 2003 5:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Frank Hamilton
I am of the family of Francis Alexander Hamilton B. VA.1760
Later N.C., TN., AL. Washington, Green, Jefferson as well several other Western Counties of N.C. became Eastern TN. in the very late 1700 s .Francis was in N.C. at this time,
I have 6 letter size pages of 50 to 55 listings each of Court Records,Church, Deeds, Land Grants,Taxes,Jury,Estate, Ect.
These cover N.C., TN., AL. Covering a period from 1778 to 1907.
Francis Alexander Hamilton Had 12 children 9 boys 3 girls.
First wife Mary 8 Children
James, Frank, Isaiah, Alexander, Barton, Mary, Margart, Ann
Second Wife also Mary.
William, Hanse, Issac D. , Jacob.
Francis Alexander was my GGG Grandfather his son Barton
was my GG Grand Father His son Issac was my G Grandfather His son John Henry my Grandfather his son Frank James my father am I Frank James Jr.
You will find the names of Francis A, children passed down
the line for years. I also have copy of a Deposition taken in
Blount County ALA. 2-23-1904 From Eliza Hamilton Wood
daughter of Barton and Rebeca Hamilton, Eliza was 85 years old at the time of this deosition and is has a lot of info. in it on this family. Francis Alaxander Is listed in the 1820 census and again Court records 1827, his estate Lawrence CO, Alabama.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions