Search for content in message boards

George Lee Gribble, June 18, 1865- Feb. 28, 1946

George Lee Gribble, June 18, 1865- Feb. 28, 1946

Posted: 25 Aug 2012 4:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
George L. Gribble appears in Carroll Co., AR first in an 1885 marriage record to Alta Myra Doty. In the 1900 census and later he is listed as TN TN TN. I am trying to trace a "George L. Gribble" forward toward the present, b. in Warren Co., TN about that same date, being the son of John Thomas "Curl" Gribble and Mary Rowland. George was last in their household in 1880 in Warren Co., TN, and not found in TN afterwards. Several of his other siblings seemingly headed west at that time to various locations.

Any help appreciated. I just simply need proof of the parents of the one in AR. Obituary?

Re: George Lee Gribble, June 18, 1865- Feb. 28, 1946

Posted: 31 Aug 2012 3:02AM GMT
I am not related but have an interest in Carroll County research. Here are a few pieces of information that seem to add to the possibility that the George L. Gribble in Carroll County is the one from Warren County TN.

In early Arkansas land patent entries for Gribble are these entries:

1903, George L. Gribble, Carroll County, 018N - 023W

1894, heirs of Jeremiah M. Gribble (deceased) Carroll County, 018N - 023W,
(heirs not named)

Here is the link to Land Patents:

http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/search/default.aspx#searchTabI...

Rootswebs World Connect Search Family Trees has an entry that shows Jeremiah M. Gribble and John Thomas Gribble to be brothers. Maybe George L. moved west with an uncle.

I did find two descendants of Jeremiah M. Gribble in Carroll Co. AR. His youngest son, Marian F. “Frank” Gribble, and his daughter, Martha J. Gribble. Frank married twice in Carroll Co, in 1900 using the name Frank Gribble, and in 1908 using his initials, M. F. Gribble. Martha married B. F. Usrey, in Carroll Co., I think in 1888. It appears her husband’s name was probably Benjamin Franklin Usrey for he is also shown as Frank. Frank Gribble is buried in Harrison, Boone Co. Martha and her husband are buried in Gobbler Cemetery in Carroll Co.

The death index for Carroll Co. AR shows the full name George L. to be George Leander Gribble.

If enough information can be found to tie George Leander Gribble back to Warren Co., TN, it might be worthwhile to send for his death certificate. However, death certificates can be disappointing if the informant did not know the names of the parents.

Posted: 31 Aug 2012 3:48AM GMT
I'm not kin to the whole Gribble clan in Warren Co., TN, but to a lot of them. I had not looked far enough into George Gribble's uncles, but sure enough he had an uncle Jeremiah Gribble. The George in Warren Co., TN was son of a John Thomas Gribble.

There are too many coincidences here including the right birth year for George in AR, as well as born in TN. His father, John Thomas Gribble stayed in Warren Co., TN.

It would be well worth risking the cost of a death cert. Thanks for the guidance.

Posted: 2 Sep 2012 2:01PM GMT
George Lee Gribble is buried in the Glenwood Cemetery in Green Forest, Ark along with his wife Alta Myra and son L. D. Gribble. The son was born in 1888 and died 1940.
We own the property that Mr Gribble had in green forest. I was told that he got out every day and picked up the rocks off the place. Our garden has no rocks and the rest of the place is almost free of rocks. I can remember him driving a wagon to town when I was a small child.

Posted: 2 Sep 2012 8:26PM GMT
Thanks. That is interesting.

I saw the listing for those three graves on findagrave. I'll add that the son "Losson Dee Gribble", according to his WW I draft application, was born April 12, 1888.

Losson (Lossie) was married twice. Once to Donna P. Thornhill before 1917 (he's in the 1920 census of Kansas City, MO. with her), then he married Tina about 1920 or 1921, maybe in MO. I have no marriage records to give the dates, nor Tina's maiden surname. Ancestry.com does list the 1st marriage date to Donna, but I have no subscription. Do you know if Donna or Tina is buried there. Tina's maiden name and marriage?

Seems from the censuses that Lossie had no children, and that whole line ends with him. Correct?

Thanks for your help.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions