Search for content in message boards

George Washington Smith

George Washington Smith

Posted: 27 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Aug 2005 5:01PM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Moran
I am looking for a George Washington Smith who lived in Noble County Ohio. He married first a Elizabeth ? and had children: John M., Mary, and Margaret. He married second a Rebecca Martin and had children: Henry (my great grandfather), George, Sarah, Susanna, Martha, Ralph, Naham, and Martin.

I am also looking for Robert Moran who married Jane Bates. There daughter Mary Ann Moran married Henry Smith

Moran & Bates

Lynne (View posts)
Posted: 26 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 10 Jan 2002 12:33AM GMT
Surnames: Moran, Bates, Smith, Lincicome, Carmichael

Perhaps this information (not proved) from the daughter of Clara Moran, youngest sister of Mary Ann will help you in your research of the Moran and Bates families in Noble County: John Moran b MD married Hannah Smith b OH. Their son Robert b OH married Mary Jane Bates b OH. Their children were Mary Ann, Will, twins Catherine Matilda and Ulysses S., George, Syrus, Nancy and Clara. Mary Jane Bates's parents were Usual Bates and Rhoda Lincicome. Catherine Matilda b WV married W. R. Carmichael. They lived in Jackson Co., WV.

Gilbert Smith

Posted: 27 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 8 May 2002 1:20AM GMT
Surnames: Smith
Can you provide more information about George Washington Smith? I am looking for descendants of Gilbert Smith who bought land & settled in the same area in the early 1800's. What are the birth & death years of G. W. Smith? You mentioned a son named Naham. Any chance that was actually Nathan?

Thanks,
Martin Meadows
Indianapolis, In.

Re: George Washington Smith

Posted: 27 Dec 2009 11:35PM GMT
Surnames: Bates, Moran
I have information on Jane Bates and Robert Moran:
The Memories and Writings of Harold David Somerville Vol. II, page 136
" With the influx of settlers after the Civil War, many of which migrated from Ohio, more Civil War veterans came to Jackson County West Virginia....Robert Moran enlisted in the Union Army on August 10, 1864, at East Union, Noble County, Ohio. He enlisted as a private in the 176th Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry in Company G. commanded by Captain Allen Floyd. His personal description at enlistment describes him as five feet eight inches, fair complexion, blue eyes and light hair. During his service in the Union Army, Moran was in the battle of Lookout Mountain under Sherman's command. He was honorably discharged at Nashville, Tennessee on May 23, 1865. Upon his discharge Robert Moran was treated in the Post Hospital at Nashville until June 6th from sickness contacted after burying dead carcasses. This illness would plague him for the rest of his life."

Jackson County West Virginia Past and Present 1990, Jackson County Historical Society, page 437.
" Robert Moran was a civil war soldier on the Union side. He was in the Battle of Look Out Mountain, Tennessee, under Sherman's command. The Morans were also originally from Noble County, Ohio. They spent their first winter around the Independence Church area later moving to Sarvis Fork."

Jackson County West Virginia Past and Present 1990, Jackson County Historical Society, page 438.
" Henry [Smith] married Mary Ann Moran, 1879, daughter of Robert and Jane Bates Moran, former neighbors in Noble County [Ohio] who also came to Jackson County and settled on Turkey Fork."

I'd like to hear from someone who can tell me who Jane's parents were.

Posted: 28 Dec 2009 11:15PM GMT
Along with my mother, Pauline Smith, I put together my grandfathers writings who is H.D. Somerville. We did the three Volumes. I wrote a least one of those stories in the Jackson County history book.

I did find some years ago a typed book in the Noble County Public Library that I photocopied on the Bates family. What a gold mine! If I could find one on the Smith family.

Anyway, it is called the Bates family by D.M. Bates and Madge Bates. In it is Janes parents who were: Usial Bates, son of Isaac Bates Sr. and Katie Moore Bates. Usial married to Rhoda Linciome. They had: Isaac, Daniel, Sarah, Cyrus, Elizabeth, Jane and Phebe. Rhoda died and was buried at East Union. He then married Mahala King. It goes to tell who the children of this Union married.

I don't know where you live but if you could go to the Noble County Public Library you should be able to find this book.

I live in Jackson County, West Virginia. This is about 1 hour and 15 minutes south of Noble County, Ohio. I haven't stopped at this library for a number of years. My father is 89 and I spend alot of time helping him. Janes Bates Moran was his great grandmother and when I was a young girl he told me about her and showed me where she is buried here in Jackson County. I have 2 sisters and a brother and I am the only one who is interested in knowing anything about this.

How are you related to this family?

Lola Smith
lmsmith2156@yahoo.com

Posted: 29 Dec 2009 12:15AM GMT
Many people came from Monroe/Noble Counties of Ohio to West Virginia because land was advertised there in the papers at $1.00 an acre. Today this area of Ohio is all forest but in the 1800's it was very populated and people with big families needed to spread out.

Also, in the Bates book at the Noble County library it says that Elizabeth was the third daughter and that she married a Robert Butler. He was a soldier in Company G. 176 O.V.T. When this book was written Robert had been dead for several years but Elizabeth was still living at Fredericksdale. It says she had 11 children. But, it does not name them.

Posted: 29 Dec 2009 2:26PM GMT
Edited: 29 Dec 2009 10:43PM GMT
Surnames: Bates, Barnes
I can’t tell you how much I value the work that you and your mother did to preserve the work of your grandfather. I have all 3 volumes and I use them again and again as my basic reference. Thank you!

Elizabeth Bates, wife of Elliot Theodore Barnes, is my 2nd great-grandmother, and their daughter, Margaret Elizabeth Barnes, wife of Commodore Perry Full is my great-grandmother.

No one in my family seemed to know anything much about Margaret Elizabeth Barnes except that she came from Ohio. By using your grandfather’s books and the Jackson County History 1990, I was able to piece together enough information to start a census search and to put up the postings on the Noble County GenWeb.

I live in Buckhannon, WV and frequently visit family in Parkersburg, so, it would be easy for me to visit the Noble County library. Thank you for this information.

Did your father ever say anything about Jane’s sister, Elizabeth? I am thinking that she may have died in Ohio before the migration.
Where is Jane buried?
Does you family have any Bates family pictures?

In my family, I am the “keeper” and I’ve gotten all the family papers as relatives pass away. I am trying to organize and digitalize them, with the goal of getting them to the correct historical society. I haven’t had much time left over to do my own research except for instances like this.

Posted: 29 Dec 2009 8:45PM GMT
Surnames: Barnes, Bates, Moran

I decided that the first wife of Elliot BARNES was Elizabeth BATES, based upon the following excerpt from The Memories and Writings of Harold David Somerville: Vol. 1, Page 36, "Robert Moran and his wife Jane (Bates) are interred in the old cemetery at Sandyville. His wife was a sister to Elliot Barnes first wife. "

However, the posting at http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.northam.usa.states.ohi...
and your information makes it clear that the Elizabeth who married Elliot Theodore BARNES was not the sister of Jane (BATES) MORAN.

Could she have been a sister of Robert MORAN? Do you have any information about his family?

Posted: 30 Dec 2009 2:46AM GMT
Grandpa got his information from what the old timers told him. This information in the Bates book lists the daughters of Sarah who married a McBride, Cynthia who married Barton Musser, Elizabeth who married Robert Butler, Jaen who married Robert Moran and Phoebe who married Dilion Archer. At the beginning of the writing it lists Cynthias name as Cyrus not Cynthia. This book is not Indexed. An older Bates complied it in the early 1900's. So his information was told to him by people still living. So?

I do know that there was an Elizbeth in my family who was married 4 or 5 times. I believe she was a sister to George Washington Smith's wife Rebecca who was a Martin.

You have to be a detective to figure this stuff out.

Lola

Posted: 2 Jan 2010 10:30PM GMT
Edited: 3 Jan 2010 7:18PM GMT
Surnames: Moran
According to the 1850 Census, Robert Moran did have a sister named Elizabeth.
1850 United States Federal Census, District 165, Monroe County, Ohio, Enumerated on 28 August 1850.
Family 44
Dwelling 44
John Moran age 40 farmer born Maryland
Hannah Moran age 36 born Ohio
Elizabeth Moran age 13 born Ohio [born 1837]
Robert Moran age 9 born Ohio [born 1841]
William Moran age 6 born Ohio [born 1844]
Jesse Moran age 4 born Ohio [born 1846]
Samuel Moran age 2 born Ohio [born 1848]
Leander Moran 8 months born Ohio
per page

Find a board about a specific topic