Search for content in message boards

Caturah/Keturah Clute, Albany/New York City, NY

Caturah/Keturah Clute, Albany/New York City, NY

Posted: 16 Aug 2008 10:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Clute/Dickson/Dixon/Vanderbeck/Painter
I am searching for information on Caturah Jane Clute. She was born in 1823 or 1824. She was married to John Dickson/Dixon and lived in Brooklyn, NY. Her death certificate indicates that her father and mother were from Albany, NY but I don't have anything further on her or her parents. I am hoping someone has more information on her or her family.

Re: Caturah/Keturah Clute, Albany/New York City, NY

Posted: 19 Aug 2008 6:35PM GMT
I have looked everywhere in my data base for Caturah/Keturah Clute from Albany and find absolutely nothing. On her death certificate, did someone list parents names or just Albany,NY. Did she use Jane by any chance? Such an unusual name. Could it be a nickname for another name like Katrina or Katherina? Stephanie

Posted: 19 Aug 2008 7:06PM GMT
Hi Stephanie,

Her middle name was Jane and she sometimes used Jane on the census forms. Her death certificate did not list her parents names, just their birthplace which was Albany. The certificate lists her as Keturah Jane Dickson. I also have her daughter Harriet Dickson's marriage certificate and it lists her as Caturah J. Clute (maiden name) and John Dickson as Harriet's father.

Melissa Painter

Posted: 19 Aug 2008 11:41PM GMT
Have you tried for a marriage license? Where was he from? or birth certificates? for the children. The Dutch loved to use family names.
I checked out the Janes and found none that were born the right years in Albany. She was probably married by 1850, so would not have been with her parents and that is the first one with all of the names. Were there any Clutes around where she lived in New York?

Posted: 20 Aug 2008 12:24AM GMT
I do not have a birth or marriage certificate for either Caturah or John. I have not yet tried for birth certificates for their children. I have not seen any Clutes listed near the Dicksons on census records in Brooklyn however I just found some Clutes listed with Dicksons in Middletown, NY. There is a Jacob Dickson buried in the same lot as Mary Dickson, who I am told is Johns mother. I found a Jacob Dickson on the 1860 census for Middletown, NY and the following Clutes are listed on it as well: Eliza, 30, Erastus W., 34, Ellen, 5. The Dickson/Clute names on the census are just too much of a coincidence so I am trying to see where this leads.

Posted: 20 Aug 2008 11:53AM GMT
Erastus Clute, son of Frederick Clute and Hannah VanAuken, born about 1825. Lived in Delaware Co., Middleton, NY. Wives: 1. Eliza Ann Dickson, bo 24 Oct 1830,died 11 Feb 1861, married 23 Feb 1854. 2. Kate Hewitt 1832-1863 and 3. Ann Eliza Hewitt 1834-1906.
Children: Ellen Adell Hewitt( first wife), Kate(second wife), Minie dec 1866, Erastus april 1869 and Ferdinand Sept 1868. Informationi from Clark Jillson and children from the census.
Frederick Clute , born about 1787, died May 1883. Census for Callicoon, Sullivan co.,ny. Married Hannah Van Auken.
Children: Naomi 1823,Erastus 1824,Frederick 1820,Harvey 1827,Hiram twin 1827,Ira 1840 James 1832,Abott 1836. information, census, Clark Jillson and Joyce Gaven..

Posted: 21 Aug 2008 1:26AM GMT
Stephanie, thank you for your help with this. Hopefully, I will be able to track down some birth certificates and possibly get some information from the death certificate from Jacob that will help me to make a connection to this family. Whatever I find out, I will let you know in case you want to add it to your information. Thanks again!

Posted: 21 Aug 2008 12:53PM GMT
Glad to help. and yes I would certainly love to know your results. I try really hard to collect anything on any Clute family.. There are a few that are not even the original lines.. One English and one Dutch, but not in the US until the mid 1800's and an elusive Klute, German line who built Conestoga wagons in St. Louis.

Posted: 28 Dec 2013 11:35AM GMT
New Clues on Keturah Jane Clute:

The 1855 NY Census lists her again as "Jane" Dickson and gives us 2 new clues:

1) Indicates she was born in Rensselaer County, NY

2) Indicates she has specifically lived in 'New York City, New York County, New York State' for 24 years which means she moved there about 1831.

Also Cousin MP, I have reunited a number of branches of our family in a private room on Facebook, I sure wish you would reach me there, I have so many pictures to share including a few of the Painters as well (ca. 1940-1970) Message me on Ancestry for details.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions