Search for content in message boards

2 Edmund C Hames

2 Edmund C Hames

Posted: 9 Jun 2012 9:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello Hames Family,
I either have 2 sets of parents for one person, or 2 people with the same name and same wife.

Please help me to find the correct parents for Edmund C Hames [1817-1903][south carolina-north carolina]
the parents I have are
1]William Edmund Haimes/Betty Boyd
2]Mark Hames/Margaret?

I know that William also has a son Samuel Edmund-so maybe he is not the father.

Thanks for helping in this dilemma.

Re: 2 Edmund C Hames

Posted: 12 Jun 2012 12:54PM GMT
Surnames: Daniel, Hames, Freeman
Not a lot to hang your hat on but 1880 census states Edmund's mother was born in VA. That would (probably) exclude Elizabeth Boyd who was said to have been born either in Ireland or SC. However, according to 1850 census Mark Hames wife Margaret was born in VA. Sorry I can't be more definitive.

Posted: 12 Jun 2012 8:41PM GMT
Thanks for replying.
You are correct, not a lot of 'sure' information. If we could determine what the middle name 'C' is for, it might help to tell who is who between the 2 people or combine the 2 as one person.

Posted: 12 Jun 2012 11:58PM GMT
My thinking is Charles. Mark had brothers Edmund and Charles. Williams will mentions Charles was born out of wedlock but "should share with the rest of my children".

Posted: 13 Jun 2012 3:02AM GMT
Surnames: Hames, Haimes
May I ask how Edmund C. Hames is related to you? I am the greatgranddaughter of Samuel E. Hames (spelling later changed to Haimes.) I wondered also where you were able to find the info you have on Edmund if you wouldn't mind sharing that with me. Have you used the Hames Heritage Vol. I book on the Hames families? I notice in that book that Edmund C. is listed as a son of Mark and his wife Margaret. Thanks so much. Harriette Mastin, MS

Posted: 13 Jun 2012 11:41AM GMT
According to my software I am a first cousin 4 times removed (to Edmund C.). My Great grandfather according to Hames Heritage was David Ellis Samuel Robert Hames (believe it or not) but was simply known by most as Uncle Boat. His tombstone in Rutherford CO., NC says Samuel R. My predecessors didn't provide me with any of the legends surrounding his name but I would love to know. I've only heard him referred to as Grandpa Hames and know he did't hear very well. He was son of William Boyd Hames who was son of William (Mark Hames' brother) and Elizabeth (Betty) Boyd.

I haven't usesd the Heritage book in sometime; my daughter borrowed my copy and moved a good distance away before returning it. Most of what I read in it applying to my folks seemed to be pretty accurate.

My info on Edmund baically comes from census data throgh Heritage Quest (available online through you local public library) and my info on Mark & Charles came from "Union County, SC Will Abstracts 1787-1849" compiled by Brent H. Holcomb publised 1987.

Posted: 13 Jun 2012 1:10PM GMT
My husband is also from William Boyd Hames and [?Susan Kelly]. Somewhere along the line I saw that William Boyd had a second wife but the name was unknown[does anyone know if this is true]
Any way, he also calls David Ellis Samuel Robert by 'Boat' and his uncle Thomas Boyd he calls 'Boyd'.
I am hoping to interview a Wall relative in September and see if I can get more information.

As a side note--do either of you know the parents of Elizabeth[Betty] Boyd? I know where her grave is but cannot find parents.

Posted: 13 Jun 2012 9:53PM GMT
I am delighted to hear from both of you! This is really exciting to me because last summer at our annual Hames/Haimes reunion we have at the Gum Branch Church in Winston Co., MS where Samuel E. Hames (brother of William Boyd and Hamlet Charles and others) and his wife Lettie Frances Long Hames first settled, we had a new relative attend who brought some pictures he had at his house. One was a picture of William Boyd Hames and his wife Susan! At first we had to do a little research to figure out who they were, but we were so excited to see a picture of Sam's and Hamlet's older brother. I've also been in touch with a descendant of Hamlet Charles, his ggggranddaughter Dianne Wright from GA. She has promised to share some of her history with me. Apparently Hamlet and his descendants owned quite a bit of land in the Kennesaw Mt. area at one time. Sam came on over to MS to settle in Winston Co. and is buried with his wife in the Antioch Cemetery near Louisville, MS. There is a Hames Rd. so named because his 4 sons all owned property in that area and their descendants still do. I will continue to follow your posts with interest. I have to be out of town for a couple of weeks but will definitely be back in touch. What states are you located in? Maybe you can plan to come to our next Hames/Haimes reunion. I sent an email to Hamlet's gdaughter and another of Sam's ggrandsons to let them know about you all. Thanks so much for sharing. Harriette Mastin, Vicksburg, MS P.S. The Boyd name keeps cropping up. Sam named his first son Robert Boyd. Hamlet's great grandson was William Boyd also. :-)

Posted: 6 Sep 2012 11:51PM GMT
According to the Hames Heritage Vol. I, there were many relationships between the Hames and Boyd families. I'm descended from William P. Hames and his wife, Rebecca Milly Boyd. Dan.

Posted: 7 Sep 2012 12:27PM GMT
Dan
you must mean the William P from 1837. Do you know what the P stands for?
There is another William P form 1806 m Rosanne E Tripp.

Thank you to everyone on this Hames ribbon who 'shared' as much as 'took'.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions