Search for content in message boards

Paulson from Norway

Paulson from Norway

Posted: 15 Jul 2002 6:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi, my great grandmother was Anna (Annie) Paulson from Norway. She was born in 1846 and came to MN and married a Henry Christopherson in 1870. I am searching for any leads regarding her family and trace some family members Thanks!

Re: Paulson from Norway

Chris Paulson (View posts)
Posted: 4 Aug 2002 2:23AM GMT
Surnames: Paulson/Paulsen
Hi Karen,

This is a long shot, but I have a Anne Serine Paulson/Paulsen born in Arendal, Norway at about that time, to Poul Christensen and Tobine Thorsdatter. The LDS website has a Christening date of 2/JUN/1848. The whole family seems to have disappeared from the records sometime latter. This Anne's older brother, Christian, emigrated to Australia. Other brothers are Peder Wiingaard and Niels Jorgen. As I said a long shot but maybe some of this info rings a bell.

Karen Flanders (View posts)
Posted: 8 Aug 2002 2:53PM GMT
Hi Chris,
Thanks for your reply. That could be her maybe, I'm not sure. According to the 1880 census she was 34 (born in 1846 presumably) If your Anne Paulson was born in 1848 I doubt they would christen a 2 year old, but I'm not sure. WHat do you think?
I do have a copy of her and my gr grandfathers marriage certificate with her signature. I just love things like that!
Thanks!
Karen

Posted: 5 Aug 2003 6:15PM GMT
Surnames: Johnson, Paulson, Olson
Hi, My Great-Grandmother's name was Gunhild Paulson. She was born in Numedal, Norway and came to America. She settled around Campbell County, South Dakota. She was born on Feb. 22, 1874, and the daughter of Ole Paulson and Gunhild Guttormson. She had several brothers and sisters, Bertha Marie Paulson, Joran Paulson, Knut Paulson, Ole Paulson, Pual Ole Paulson, Turi Paulson. The entire family immigrated. Her Ancestry is found in the Endeurd Book, I am looking for info on Grandma Great and her marriage to my Great-randfather, Reinert Johannes Johnson, who also immigrated from Norway.
Thanks for any assistance.

Posted: 20 Sep 2005 11:50PM GMT
Surnames: Paulson/ Paulsberg/ Olson
Hi! I may be chasing the wrong tree but My grandmother Bertha Olson/ Paulsberg seems to have appeared from nowhere. She according to the history I have was born Jan. 18,1880 anmarried my grandfather Otto Bolling Apr. 7, 1905. As I was growing up I remember that they usually spoke Norwegian, and she past away when I was only 10 or eleven. My grandfather took over the family farm in Wisconsin about the time that they got married. Would be curious to know if a link?
Mike

PR (View posts)
Posted: 29 Sep 2005 2:05AM GMT
Bertha (b. 1880) was the daughter of Matt and Oline Olson (later used the name Paulsberg). She appears in their family in the 1900 US census for TREMPEALEAU Co. The 1900, 1910 and 1920 censuses all list that the family immigrated to the US in 1888.

There appear to be Norwegian farms by the name of Paulsberg in Romedal, Vestre Toten, Stange and Hov/Hof.

Mike Bolling (View posts)
Posted: 2 Oct 2005 2:53AM GMT
this is nearly unbelievable! For years I couldn't find a connection of Olson to Paulsberg. Thanks PR whom ever you are! This information may also make other connections, land ownership and family movement etc Iam working to fill the blanks.
Mike

PR (View posts)
Posted: 4 Oct 2005 12:12PM GMT
Have you tracked this family back into their orginal area of Norway?
The "Bolling" family came from Fåberg district of Oppland, Norway. Data posted in US censues by Otto's older brother, John L. Bolling, and for his father and mother also in the same Wis. county led back to this entry in the 1865 Norwegian census.
http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1865&...
(Otto's entry in the 1910 census lists himself as 36 yrs old, born in Norway and immigrating to the US two years before he was born. A "date-challenged" individual?) They are living on a farm called "Bollengssanden" - and it is easy to see where they later adapted the name Bolling from. The family has been in Trempealeau Co. area since at least the 1880 US census.
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbas...

The "Paulsberg" group is more challenging. A Norway born man calling himself Matt in the US - I would expect his original name to have been like Mathias or Mads. If his age in the US censuses is correct then he probably won't be still living at home in the 1865 Norwegian census and his children are all too young to appear in that database for Norway. But I think those districts of Norway I listed previously might prove to be productive areas of research.
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/articles.html
In the 1910 US census Matt and his son both claim to have become naturalized citizens in 1910 - those papers might be very useful to you. Papers of that era contained a great more information than earlier naturalization documents. An obituary for Matt might be helpful and/or church records where the family attended in Trempealeau Co.

PR (View posts)
Posted: 4 Oct 2005 12:44PM GMT
Let me pass along a hunch. I think the future 'Paulsberg' family may have come from Stange, Hedmark, Norway area. I think that "Matt" was originally named Martinius/Martinus Olsen (or very similar spelling). I believe that he has an earlier family tie with the Paulsberg farm in Stange.
I have a friend who has ancestors from Stange - when next I see her I'll ask her if she still has any information that might be of assistance. If she does I'll add it here.
In the meantime you may get more assistance about the Stange area by posting a query to the Hedmark board in the Norway area of Rootsweb message boards.
http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=board&r=rw&p=l...

per page

Find a board about a specific topic