Radcliff/Radcliffe/Ratcliff of County Down Ireland to Hamilton County Ohio

Radcliff/Radcliffe/Ratcliff of County Down Ireland to Hamilton County Ohio

Carol Radcliff (View posts)
Posted: 10 Mar 2003 10:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Radcliff Radcliffe Ratcliff Ratcliffe Ratliff Redcliffe
If anyone else is researching the following family from
Beersbridge (Belfast), County Down, Ireland travelling to
Cincinnati, Hamilton County, Ohio throught Quebec City Canada, in the 1840s please contact me for more information.

Family members include: William Radcliff, Esq of Beersbridge Co Down, who died between 1840 - 1847, his widow Harriet Radcliff who died in Cincinnatti in 1851, his son William Radcliff (married at Christ's Church in 1851 to Maryanna Hughes of Three Rivers Quebec) and whom died in
1852 in Cincinnati, his daughter Agnes Radcliff ( age 7) who died upon the Ship "Lord Seaton" enroute to Quebec in the spring of 1847, and also daughter Harriet, who accompanied Agnes, died in Cincinnati in June or July 1847 of Consumption. There were other siblings as well; William Radcliff ( the junior) was listed as eldest son, and William Radcliff ( the senior) was listed as having had four daughters.

Also anyone doing research on Radcliffs in Ireland can contact me as I am currently compiling a list of all known Radcliffs in Ireland.

Re: Radcliff/Radcliffe/Ratcliff of County Down Ireland to Hamilton County Ohio

Posted: 11 Mar 2003 6:21PM GMT
Edited: 27 Jun 2004 1:44AM GMT
Hi, Carol. My William Radcliff hailed from Eng. as did his wife Harriet Hunt. They had 4 children-Jennie, Harriet, George and Penny. George added an e to the end of his surname when he moved out on his own. Cheryl

Posted: 12 Mar 2003 12:29AM GMT
Surnames: Radcliffe, Radcliff, Ratcliffe, Ratcliff, and Ratliff
Thanks for your reply Cheryl,
I was encourage to write to you because of the names William, Harriet, Radcliff, plus British Isles (unfortunately not Ireland), Canada, and Ohio connections. I guess there aren't any more similarities. Still, I will keep your name on file and if I come up with anything, I will let you know. Thank you. Carol

Posted: 25 Feb 2004 7:52PM GMT
Surnames: Radcliffe
Carol

I am researching the Radcliffes of County Down, NI on behalf of my father in law, William Radcliffe, who was born in Banbridge, County Down in 1922. I have so far managed to trace his roots back to William Radcliffe (b 1826) and Sarah Arlow (b 1828), who were married in 1848 in Banbridge.

I have a lot more information if you are related.

Regards

Kevin

Posted: 25 Feb 2004 8:48PM GMT
Dear Kevin,
Thanks for your reply. However since posting this message, I have found out that our branch of the Radcliff tree were not from Banbridge. Ours were from Beersbridge - northeast of Belfast in the parish of Knockbreda. Recent researches show that ours were merchants mostly and were listed as Esquires. When I looked at the Radcliffes of Banbridge I saw that some were farmers and some were in Wholesale. I am glad to make your acquaintance because I have been looking for Banbridge Radcliff decendents for a while.

If you have been doing Radcliff research in County Down you will no doubt be aware of the more famous branch of the Radcliffs , those Judges, Reverends, and City Officials. Their tree dates back to a Francis Radcliff, generous ( or Esquire) about the mid 1660s. Anyway, one of the purposes of my research is to try and tie our tree in with theirs. Our tree now goes back as far as 1770 with a William Radcliff, Esq. of Belfast who was a merchant there, who was married to a Margaret Anne and had 4 sons William, John Smyth, James and Richard, and 4 daughters Mary Banks, Sarah Banks, Hannah, and Rachael. William died in 1817 and was buried in the Clifton St. Graveyard.

I am one generation away from tying in with the famous Radcliff family. Francis Radcliff's son Richard's will (1711) lists family members as follows: Wife, (no name) 3 sons, William, John, and Stephen (Rev. Stephen Radcliff- who all members of the famous Radcliffs are descended from), 3 daughters, Ruth, Mary, Abigail, and one Granddaughter Elizabeth. I am hoping to tie our family in with that William, son of Richard, son of Francis. But as you know, researching Irish roots is very hard work.

My point is that your family tree may be linked with this family as well.

Other possibilities are as a descendent of a John Radcliff who was the son of William Radcliff of St. Bees Cumberland and of Tallow in Co. Waterford. Will dated 2 -Oct 1689.

That is all for now. I would like to hear from you again, even though our Radcliffs are not from Banbridge. I may be able to put you in contact with another researcher who was looking for Banbridge Radcliffs. In fact I think I might still have the email address from that person - I will get you in contact with if they are agreeable.

Thanks again for responding. Take care Carol

Posted: 2 Mar 2004 7:23PM GMT
Edited: 25 May 2004 10:09PM GMT
Surnames: RADCLIFFE
Hi Kevin

I, too, am researching Radcliffe family. My great grandfather, Thomas David Radcliffe, born 1832 (approx.) in Ireland, came to Canada sometime prior to 1855, is apparently of Scottish origin. They may have came from County Down. Do you have any info. on a Thomas David Radcliffe or parents and siblings.

Look forward to your reply and thanks in advance

Alberta Crossley

Posted: 15 May 2004 5:52PM GMT
Kevin, I do not have anything on your Radcliff family but I am interested in your mention of a Sarah Arlow (1828). Do you have any information on Arlow family in US probably in the 1820's thru 1860's? I am actually looking for a Mary Elizabethn Arlow (her family). She was born bet. 1834 and 1839 probably in N.Y. There are not many Arlow families that I can find and I was hoping you may have some info on Sarah that might help me. Please feel free to email me at azroses@mindspring.com

Marina Borland (View posts)
Posted: 3 Mar 2006 11:24PM GMT
Hello Carol,

Amongst your Belfast Ratcliff's, have you ever encountered the name, JANE RATCLIFF? Cannot locate anything on this lady at all, except she married, a John Murphy, from Belfast, at a guess around the 1820's. She died perhaps 1874 and is likely to be buried at Clifton Street Cemetery, where I note your mention one of your ancestors is buried also.

All Irish research is difficult, so I realise this is a very long shot, but unless I ask I will never know.

Reagrds,

Marina
New Zealand

Posted: 4 Mar 2006 4:07AM GMT
Surnames: Radcliff, Ratcliff, etc.
Marina,
Although the exact person, Jane Ratcliff married to a John Murphy, doesn't exactly fit any known ancestor in our family tree, that doesn't mean that future research won't find it so. I will keep your name and info on hand and will get back to you if I ever come across something interesting for you. I have done a quick check through the family tree of the other Radcliffs/Ratcliffs of Ireland ---the Church of England ones, with the Judges, and Reverends, and there is no match for you in there either. Our Radcliffs are the Prsbyterian ones as are the Banbridge (County Down) ones. There is a Jane Eliza Radcliff who was born in the 1820s and died in the 1870s from the Banbridge Radcliffs.....she married and had children but I have no husband or children's names. I can give you a contact person...Sally......... in Australia if you are interested in pursuing this. Kevin....'s Banbridge Radcliffs also have a Jane in their tree within this time frame but there is no other info. Kevin is very hard to get hold of so this line could be difficult. I have another source for you in Ireland and he might have some info on your tree. Please email me for these contacts, as I won't give them out in these postings.
Cheers Carol

Marina Borland (View posts)
Posted: 4 Mar 2006 4:32AM GMT
Hello Carol,

Thank you kindly for your rapid reply which I really appreciate. Am interested in anything Carol that can be investigated in an effort to try and locate something/anything at all on Jane Ratcliff.
Will contact you off list.

Regards,
Marina
New Zealand
per page

Find a board about a specific topic