Search for content in message boards

Hughes Family of VA

Hughes Family of VA

Helen Hughes Akins (View posts)
Posted: 6 Nov 2003 7:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Nov 2003 4:20PM GMT
Surnames: Hughes
Looking for any information on African American Hughes families who were born in VA around 1817 through 1840. They were in AR by 1845, living in Chicot County, AR. Any information would be appreciated... Name of plantation or slave owner with the name of Hughes.

Thank you

Re: Hughes Family of VA

Posted: 17 Nov 2003 3:33AM GMT
Hi Helen,

Our Hughes relatives were from Beaverdam,in Hanover Co, VA.

As far as I know they stayed in VA or moved to Baltimore MD. We are African American.

Where were your relatives living in VA?

Take Care,
Gail

Helen Hughes Akins (View posts)
Posted: 17 Nov 2003 7:03PM GMT
Edited: 4 Dec 2003 3:49PM GMT
Hi Gail, I do not know where in VA they are from. I am trying to find a location. I got VA from the census records of 1870. They were in AR at this time but all the men listed stated they were from VA.

Thanks Helen

L.D.Smith (View posts)
Posted: 14 Feb 2004 7:04PM GMT
Edited: 15 Feb 2004 2:58PM GMT
Hi Helen: I do a little research in Mecklenburg County, Virginia, and I would assume they were Free People of Color, and may have ben recently freed. In Virginia, you had to petition the Commonwealth in order to stay in Virginia, after you were freed. They may have decided to leave, instead.
I see only one free Hughes from 1809 - 1865, in Mecklenburg County.
Hughes, John age 24 Born in Halifax County, was freed in 1857, I believe.
Some first names would help and look for FPOC's in Va..
Lloyd

Bill A. Davison (View posts)
Posted: 15 Feb 2004 1:45AM GMT
Surnames: Hughes, Ferrell
Hi...I am interested because of my GGG Grandfather Daniel Ferrell, once the slave of Thomas Hughes of Jefferson, Greene County, PA. It is written that Thomas Hughes had twenty or more slaves but only registered two in Pennsylvania. Daniel is buried in the Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Jefferson, Pa. Daniel is buried just a few yards from Thomas Hughes and his wife Elizabeth. Thomas Hughes made special arrangements for his slaves to be buried in the same cemetery as he and wife. Daniel Ferrell died Jan 22, 1851 aged 53 years 1 month 5 days. The Hughes Will directed that Daniel, a man of color, be managed by Elizabeth Hughes and the executors of the Will. Daniel stayed in the Jefferson area and worked for the Hughes and related families all his life. Daniel was listed as a free person of color in 1820. Daniel, supposedly a slave, had a given name and surname. Daniel has a day, month, and year of birth! I have no idea who Daniel's mother is, nor who his father is! But I do know that Daniel Ferrell, slave(?), was well cared for in life and in death by his owner, Thomas HUGHES! Daniel would have been born in 1798. Assumptions on my part? Many! But so far proof of none! Oh, Thomas Hughes named Jefferson, PA. after Thomas Jefferson because he liked Thomas Jefferson so well. Casting my info into the Internet Ocean in hopes of catching an answer, a clue, a hint of a clue...and sharing my GGG Grandfather with all of you this Black History Month! Bill

Posted: 10 Jul 2004 12:53AM GMT
Edited: 10 Jul 2004 2:10PM GMT
Surnames: Hughes, Blair
Hi Helen,
You could try Nelson County, VA for Hughes. My great great grandfather London Blair was in Nelson County, living in the household of John Hughes in the 1870 census!!!!

Helen

Posted: 1 Jul 2012 5:48AM GMT
Surnames: HUGHES
HI HELEN,

I JUST CAME ACROSS YOUR POST TODAY 6/30/12. I HAVE SIMULAR QUESTIONS REGARDING MY EARLY FAMILY. I FOUND MY GREAT, GREAT GRAND FATHER, CALIFORNIA HUGHES ON THE 1880 CENSUS. IT SHOWED THAT HE WAS 74 YEARS OLD AT THE TIME. IT ALSO SHOWED THAT HE WAS BORN IN VIRGINIA,APPROXIMATLELY 1806. HE WAS ON THE 1880 CENSUS OF WILKINSON COUNTY GEORGIA. HE WAS MARRIED AND STARTED A VERY YOUNG FAMILT INCLUDING A WIFE. ANY INFORMATION YOU FOUND WOULD BE GRATLY APPRECIATED. PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT DURING THAT TIME PERIOD THEY WERE SPELLING THE NAMES HUGHES AS HUGHS. LOTS OF HUGHES IN GEORGIA

Posted: 1 Jul 2012 3:38PM GMT
gawaineh, My great grandmother was Jayne Hughes - B. @1850 - (believed to be from Wilkinson County, GA) who was married to Fed Hall (my great grandfather). She died sometime before 1910. I have been unable to find any connection she may have had with the Hughes(Hughs) of Wilkinson County. Fed Hall's stepfather was Edmund Hasting (b 1820) and his mother was Jennie Hasting (b 1830). They both lived in Wilkinson County, GA at least until 1910. Might you have any information on the Hughes of Wilkinson County that you are willing to share?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions