Search for content in message boards

Oddfellows Cemetery, Gladwyne, Pennsylvania

Oddfellows Cemetery, Gladwyne, Pennsylvania

Posted: 24 May 2011 7:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am trying to reach the descendants of those buried at Oddfellows Cemetery. It seems that the cemetery has been neglected by the organization that supposedly owns it and has fallen into serious disarray. I have heard rumor that Lower Merion Township has begun legal proceedings against Oddfellows Organization regarding the lack of maintenance and claim of ownership of the property. If you are a descendant of someone buried in this cemetery, I urge you to find out as much as possible and contact the involved organizations.

Re: Oddfellows Cemetery, Gladwyne, Pennsylvania

Posted: 9 Jul 2011 1:01PM GMT
Nancy I go to Odd Fellows all the time and I can tell you that it is in very good condition and well mantained. I am sorry you were given wrong information. Were you looking for someone who is buried there? If so let me know and I will get you information on them the next time I go.

Posted: 9 Jul 2011 1:51PM GMT
Thanks for your response but perhaps we are speaking of two different cemeteries. I am speaking of the old Oddfellows Cemetery directly behind the white twin house that used to house the Oddfellows Meeting Hall next to the church. The church cemetery is directly behind the church and is kept very nicely. But I and several of my relatives have been to Oddfellows over the last six months to a year to visit our father's grave and the place was not maintained, grass and weeds as high as the tombstones. I have been in contact with the Lower Merion Township, Gladwyne Civic Association and Oddfellows in Harrisburg (who fails to respond) about the property. I understand that recently someone has been hired by an attorney to cut the grass at the cemetery while the disposition of the property remains in limbo. If anyone is looking to be buried at Oddfellows, they will need to contact the Gladwyne Civic Association to make arrangements as the cemetery is in the process of being sold.

Posted: 9 Jul 2011 2:10PM GMT
I am taking about the same place, I was just there 2 weeks ago. One time when I was there it appeared there was some work being done in the area, as there was heavy equipment being stored in the corner. Outside of that time I never really saw anything that caused me concern. I'm really surprised by what your telling me-I never would have thought there was a problem. I can tell you that there is a cemetery in Delaware county that is horrible and people are still being buried there, which shocks me, so I understand why someone would be upset if a cemetery is not being taken cared of, I just never saw it at Odd Fellows. I have a lot of family buried there and go a few times every couple of months.

Posted: 10 Jul 2011 3:53AM GMT
And now you know the reason for my concern. I have several family members buried there for which perpetual care was paid in full to Oddfellows plus I have several family members who had purchased plots and unfortunately they saw the condition of the cemetery. I hope that my putting forward my interest in the upkeep of the cemetery spawned some sort of action. The cemetery as I understand it is considered "historic" and I was promised that even if the property were sold, that those buried there would not be moved - that the cemetery would not be closed. I'm not holding my breath on that one. I am trying to keep on top of what is going on with the property and keeping in touch with the agencies I had mentioned before. If you have family buried there, I would recommend that you do the same. And if you know of any other people who would hold the same interest, it might be in their best interest to keep abreast of what is going on there. Just my opinion.

Posted: 20 Aug 2012 4:36PM GMT
Edited: 20 Aug 2012 9:56PM GMT
Surnames: Greenstein,
I'm looking for a esther greenstein who I think is buried in the gladwyne cemetery. Burial date 6 jan 1904. I'm a genealogist and my name is Bobby Greenstein. Esther may be a relative or shall I say her husband may be my relative. I'm really trying to ascertain esther's husband's name who may be my blood relative. Is there anyone I can contact at this cemetery who can help me get photo's of their burial stones. I see there is a problem with the owner's of the cemetery and it is in disaray and abuse. Is this cemetery out of business? defunked or something????

Posted: 20 Aug 2012 4:42PM GMT
Edited: 20 Aug 2012 9:55PM GMT
Surnames: greenstein,
I would like to see a burial stone for an esther greenstein and her husband who may be buried there. could you give me a contact number for the cemetery? My name is Bobby Greenstein. Esther's husband may be my blood relative...a great uncle whose name is morris.

Posted: 20 Aug 2012 5:08PM GMT
Bobby,
I'm sorry to say I don't have the phone number to Odd Fellows. You can do a search of the Montgomery County Cemeteries at Lower Merion Historical Society, they have burial records of the cemeteries in the area including Odd Fellows. There are 2 cemeteries sharing the same grounds, one is Odd Fellows the other is Gladwyne United Methodist Church Cemetery. I'm not sure if everyone buried there is listed or not, but you might find what you are looking for. Good Luck!
Kathi

Posted: 20 Aug 2012 5:11PM GMT
Bobby
Here's the website for Lower Merion Historical Society.
http://www.lowermerionhistory.org/burial/index.html I meant to post it with my last post but hit post before I attached it.
Kathi
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions