Search for content in message boards

looking for info on Howe familys

looking for info on Howe familys

arthur howe (View posts)
Posted: 27 Apr 2005 11:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: How/Howe ,Vansickle ,Swartwood
Looking for any info on a John(Johnathan-Jonathan ) Howe born approx.1830 some census list birthplace Delaware others CT, Vt I do know that he lived in and around Wysox Pa. from the early 1850s til his death in the early 1900s He was married to an Elvira ? born appox. 1835 and had 12/13 children over their long marrage of about 50 years they are
William 1852 wife Cynthia 1861
Edward 1857 wife Martha 1861 of ENG
George 1855
Lousia 1860 husband John Swartwood 1833 NY
Mary 8/31/1862 - 11/12/1936
Eugene 1864 - 1941 Wife Adelia F. Atwood 11/26/1859-11/7/1943
Melborne 1866
Fred 1868
Theodore 1870
Emma 1872
Victor 1875 wife Bertha VanSickle (Howe,Pease) 1881-1925
Annie 1879
Harry 1880
As far as I have found the family lived in and around Wysox,Rome Orwell , Towanda areas and were mostly farmers and affillyated with the Wysox Presbyterian Church were some are interned in the Wysox Cemetery which is in Bradford County ,Pa. any info about these people or leads to
still living relatives would greatly be appreciated .

Re: looking for info on Howe familys

Theresa Jensen (View posts)
Posted: 12 Dec 2005 8:38PM GMT
Surnames: HOWE, CASE, COLE
My great grandmother, Anna HOWE, was born in 1879 in Canton, PA. Could she be the "Annie" you have listed? Do you have sources? The story goes that she was raised by or adopted by a family named "CASE", but she kept in touch with her birth parents and I have their photographs, along with those of some other relatives. Also, have family bible of Anna and her husband, Frederick Lyman COLE.

Posted: 13 Dec 2005 1:17PM GMT
Surnames: Howe ,Ryan,Vansickle,Cranmer ,Pease
Theresa;
I do not think we are looking at the same Annie Howe ,From what I have been able to trace the Annie (1879) I have listed was the daughter of Edward&Martha(Maretia) Howe whom were the son and daughter in law of Jonathan & Elvira Howe of the Wysox ,Pa. area according to the 1880 Federal Census but in the local Wysox census was listed as a daughter to Jonathan and Elvira Howe as well . Which could be an error or could possible also have had a daughter named Annie but I find no records of her other than the same birth year. . I personaly believe Annie was their grand-daughter and was listed twice in the census's as a mistake but have no proof .

Theresa Jensen (View posts)
Posted: 13 Dec 2005 3:51PM GMT
Surnames: HOWE, CASE, COLE, SPENCER
Arthur:
Yes, I found that same 1880 Federal Census listing that shows Edward & Martha HOWE with Annie. It states that Edward and Annie were MU (I assume that means mulatto) and that Martha was W (white). Some time ago, I asked my mother if she thought that could be her grandmother's family because our oral history tells that Anna's father was Native American (the photo of him seems to support that) and that her mother was English (the census says Martha was from Wales or England). I wondered if, back then, a census taker may have listed a Native American as being mulatto. Also, my great Aunt Lucy knew much more than she would tell about this side of the family. She preferred to focus on the more prestigious COLE - SPENCER side of our history. The name "Maretia" is also interesting because we have thought Anna's mother's name was Mae or Mary. I see that there is a Mary, daughter to Jonathon & Elvira Howe, too. Because of their ages, I also suspect that Annie, and Harry were probably grandchildren.

I do know that by 1890, "Anna Alline" or "Alline Anna" was using the last name of CASE (the family that took her into their household). I have her gold pocket watch with that date, and the initials "AC" inscribed on it. She was very proud of that watch because her adoptive folks gave her a pig to raise and that's what she purchased with the money from the sell of it. We believe that her adoptive father may have been a Minister. I have a photo of him (or maybe it's his son). Her marriage certificate from 1897 says "Alline A. Case".

I also have a photograph of her biological mother with her half-sister, without names on the back, of course. And, I have a photo of some relatives as children: Helen, Alberta, and Eudora HOWE (with Lassie, the dog) dated 12/8/21. Anyway, I am determined to find out more about my great grandmother's history. We definitely know that she was a member of the "HOWE" tribe, and yours is the most promising lead I've come across in years. Thanks for the help!

Posted: 13 Dec 2005 5:19PM GMT
Theresa;
I personaly think that the MU label in the 1880 census was a mistake for either Indian bloodline or a good tan . In previous and later census the family was listed as white
I myself being a direct decendent of Jonathan & Elvira Howe via their son Victor whom was the father of my grandfather Arthur James Howe Sr. ( 5/9/1897 - 7/23/1963 ) Have over the yrs heard that the Howe Family were of Irish and Indian decent . the irish came from my grandmothers side (Ryan Family ) directly from Ireland .
Anyhow as for Annie she was listed with johnathan & elvira in one census but was also listed with their son Edward sometimes listed as Edmond and Martha also listed as Maretia . i was guessing she annie was maybe living with jonathan and elvira part of the year that would explain the 2 Annies same birth yrs ,etc.. If there was 2 seperate Annies same birth yrs i have not been able to tace them . But i do know that jonathan lived until about 1900 (cem record.) elvira her self lived till 3/22/1903 (death certificate) I am still trying to track down Edward and Martha since 1880 .
as for jonathan and elviras daughter Mary A. Howe (8/31/1862 - 11/12/1936 )cem . record As far as I can tell never married she was a housekeeper / servant most of her life.

I hope that this does help you some and i would be currious to see if this Annie is the same person as well . as well to learn more about her and her family ties . If I can be of any help drop me a line anytime either here or you can contact me directly at
arthurjhowe@bellsouth.net

Arthur James Howe III

Posted: 13 Dec 2005 5:31PM GMT
theresa;
I forgot Harry Howe (1880 - 7/31/1933 ) in previous reply
He was the son of Jonathan and Elvira Howe .
Harry according to records did marry a Ellen Groover (1877-1949) and they had a son Ralph J. Howe (8/8/1900 - 11/10/1982) who was married to a Tressie Crawn(AKA) Pierce 1898 - 1969 according to cem. records.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic