Search for content in message boards

BRADLEY/native american/NC/SC

BRADLEY/native american/NC/SC

K. McChesney (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BRADLEY
Looking for information on the Bradley families of the Caroleen, NC area, and areas nearby (Rutherford County, Cleveland County, NC, and Cherokee County, SC area), reputed to be native american, probably Cherokee. Thomas and Henry Bradley, maybe brothers, born in 1807 and 1805, listed as "free colored persons" on the 1830 census, "mulatto" on the 1840 through 1870 censuses, and "Indian" on the 1880 census. If you are familiar with this branch of the Bradleys (I'm told by folks in the area that there are a lot of Bradleys in that part of NC who are very dark-haired with very dark skin, so I suspect that there are lots of Bradleys who are part of this line!) If you have any information and would like to share, please contact me! I'm trying to find out what happened to my Bradleys prior to 1890 up until 1900. Since the 1890 census does not exist, it has been difficult to fill in some of these years. My great-grandfather, Benjamin Bradley (married to his cousin, I think, Esther Bradley) is one of my missing links. He apparently died prior to 1900, probably in Cherokee County, SC. Any information appreciated, however remote. Especially if you are looking for native american Bradley ancestors in this area! Please contact me!

Kit McChesney

Bradley/Bradley NC/Native Americans

Kit McChesney (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: BRADLEY
Magi--

It could be that our Bradleys/Bradlys are related. Are you doing research in Kentucky? Can you give me some dates and locations in Kentucky for your Bradleys? When do you find them in the Kentucky census? Are they listed as "I" (Indian) in the 1880 census? (this was the first year that the census contained a designation for "Indian" as an ethnicity. Prior to that, our Bradleys were listed as "mulatto (1840s-1870s) or "free colored persons" (1830).

Could very well be that there were slave ancestors mixed up in our geneaologies. There were Cherokee who owned slaves in the South.

Kit

Bradly

Magi Robinson (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: William Bradly, Tabitha Maynard
Could the Bradly you are looking for have a brother by the name of William who had several children by Tabitha Maynard? One of their children is my great grandfather. I found them in the Kentucky Cencus. I have a feeling they may be. My grandmother always said she was Indian pos. Cherekee. she also said that there is a pos. of having a slave ancester. My great grandfather is Thomas Jefferson Maynard. My uncle was named after his father, his name is also William. I can not ask my grandmother she has passed away four years ago. You may respond at magi@modempool.com

Native American Bradleys

Posted: 4 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 4 Aug 2002 5:28AM GMT
Surnames: John Thomas Bradley
My grandfather and fathers name was John T. Bradley and they were of the Cherokee . I am new to geneology and dont really know alot of the in and outs of the hobby. I would appreciate any information that you may have. I hope that I may have some information to help you. They were living in the 1900's My father died in 1977 at 48 years of age.

John D. Bradley

Gary Bradley (View posts)
Posted: 5 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Bradley
Coincedence? My great-great grandfather was John D. Bradley, b. Lafayette Co., MO, 1836, d. Cleveland County, OK, 1908. John's parents were George W. Bradley and Sarah Ann Elizabeth Davis. John and Claracy Ann Haynes' first son was Alvin Walter Bradley, b. 1874, Indian Territory, Chickasaw Nation. John D. Bradley may have been, at least, part Cherokee. (Family lore) He was supposed to have been in Indian Terry at the outbreak of the Civil War. (either Cherokee or Choctaw Nation) He was in Chickasaw Nation by 1866. What else do you have on your John?

Thomas Bradley

Mark Bray (View posts)
Posted: 6 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Bradley
My Great-Great Grandfather was Thomas Bradley. I do not know who his parents were, but he was born in 1858 in Rutherford, NC. I would love anyone's help on this.

Thank You,

Mark Bray
SC

PS: He ended up in Spartanburg,

Eleanor "Ellen" Bradly

Posted: 12 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 3:09AM GMT
Surnames: Bradly, Bradley
My ggggrandmother was Eleanor "Ellen" Bradly, born Jan 17, 1824 in Alabama, died Feb. 9, 1893 in Texas. She married Granville Fitzpatrick on Jan. 26, 1842 in Fayette County, Tenn. I am looking for any information on her parents and/or siblings. Contact me by email at della_d@hipster.net

Re: Bradley/Bradley NC/Native Americans

Posted: 5 Aug 2001 5:20PM GMT
Edited: 4 Jan 2003 10:23PM GMT
Looking for info on Ellen Bradly/Bradley, may be of Indian Heritage. We at a dead end were she came from Born 1824 in Ala. married Fitzpatrick in Tn. Thank you for any help you can give me. Debi

Re: John D. Bradley

Posted: 22 Feb 2002 5:36AM GMT
Edited: 15 Mar 2002 7:42PM GMT
I am looking for a Cherokee link to the Bradley name. My GGrandfather, Joseph Bradley, b. 27 Feb. 1861, Princeton, MO. Family lore also tells he was either 1/4 or 1/2 Cherokee. Family pictures also show resemblance to native Americans. I know his sisters names were Ellen, Clara, Fannie (Frances?) and a brother William 20 years older than Him. I am not sure of GGGrfathers name but maybe was Joseph also. Can there be a connection?
Thanks,
Karen Grimmer

Re: BRADLEY/native american/NC/SC

deborah (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jun 2004 1:33AM GMT
hi , im new to all of this and very green , i too am looking for any info on bradleys in or around that area of the carolina's. my great great grandfather was Roy E. Bradley , his parents where calvin and emma horton bradley. if what i am told is true , roy was on indian descent, for my grandmother , father and myself are all dark hair , dark eyes and dark skined and we are from cherokee county sc . any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks
per page

Find a board about a specific topic