Search for content in message boards

Boe / O'Neil

Boe / O'Neil

Posted: 24 Aug 2012 4:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for information on Patrick Boe and his wife, Catherine O'Neil. They might of been from Cork. Shortly after they were married they moved to England. Patrick was born in 1831, and Catherine was born in 1835.
Thanks, Diane

Re: Boe / O'Neil

Posted: 24 Aug 2012 7:11AM GMT
http://www.askaboutireland.ie
follow the above link of a survey in 1850. Boe is an unusual name - it shows you where the families are located in Ireland.
O'Neill is not a Cork name. You could search here
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie
or here
http://www.rootsireland.ie/
It is likely that your ancestors lived near each other. Do you know the names of their first born son (likely to have the same name as paternal grandfather) and daughter (likely to have the same name as maternal grandmother)
You also need to be aware spellings varied widely, so you need to be aware of all the different variations

Posted: 8 Sep 2012 11:51PM GMT
Our O'Neil's came from Clonakilty, and I wonder DW, could that "Boe", which I've never seen, actually be "bue", which was some kind of prefix, I think meaning "English speaking", or "Irish speaking"??

Posted: 10 Sep 2012 10:21AM GMT
I have a Catherine O'Neil born 1835, but married to John Driscoll born abt 1832, lived in Rineen until approx 1865 when they moved to London - Rotherhithe.
There are links to Clonakilty and some are buried in the post famine graveyard.

Posted: 13 Sep 2012 6:42AM GMT
Can you tell me more about Catherine O'Neil and John Driscoll? Do you know what happened to them after their move to Rotherhithe? My surname is O'Neil Driscoll and nobody knows where the O'Neil part of the name came from. It suddenly appeared in my Grandfather's surname and his brother. I do know my GGG was a John Driscoll, no idea of birthdate, but his son Daniel was born in 1862 and there is conflicting information about where he was born, either Burma or Ireland. His first daughter was named Catherine, Lewis Driscoll, born 1883.
You can find my tree at www.nigeldriscoll.com.au.
Thanks, Nigel

Posted: 13 Sep 2012 7:26AM GMT
Surnames: Driscoll O'Neill Neale
Hi there Nigel
Great tree and a good read. I love the style although it souds very Irish - in a nice way.

Unfortunately I cannot add to your knowledge. My John and Catherine remained in the Southwark, Surrey area until they died (I think) - I do not have the death records for them as there were so many!
The names are both very common in Ireland, and in particular in West Cork. Mine are from the Castlehaven and Myross parish of Union Hall, townland of Carrigtishane, or also known as Rineen.
They are GREAT names to have as both carry some history.
I had a quick look for yours, but did not find a direct O'Neil Driscoll name although there are lots that fit with either.
Good luck - and if you find out more please post.

kind regards
Kerry
per page

Find a board about a specific topic